Trump foreign policy

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Saudi promises 'material evidence' linking Iran to attack           (  10:30 AM EDT ? )

The Saudi defence ministry said it will hold a news conference at 14:30 GMT to present "material evidence and Iranian weapons proving the Iranian regime's involvement in the terrorist attack".

Riyadh previously said preliminary results showed the attack did not come from Yemen.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/09/saudi-oil-attacks-latest-updates-190916102800973.html

Pretty much everyone believes it was Iran, but the question is, what are the Saudis going to do about it? 

Iran does not seem intimidated by any of this: 

DUBAI — Iran warned the United States that it would broadly retaliate against any attacks in the wake of crippling strikes on the Saudi oil industry over the weekend, Iranian news agencies reported Wednesday.

The message, which was sent via the Swiss Embassy in Tehran that handles U.S. affairs in the country, condemned remarks by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and other officials linking Iran with the attacks on a Saudi oil field and processing facility.

“Iran’s response will be prompt and strong, and it may include broader areas than the source of attacks,” the Mehr News Agency reported the official note as saying.

Iran’s Fars News Agency said any response would be “rapid and crushing” and target “more extensive areas than the origin of the attack.” There have long been fears that Iranian proxy forces in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and elsewhere might attack U.S. forces in the region.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/iran-warns-us-of-broad-retaliation-in-case-of-any-attack/2019/09/18/35a1275c-d99f-11e9-a1a5-162b8a9c9ca2_story.html

For an alternative analysis on the drone attack: https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/09/article/how-the-houthis-overturned-the-chessboard/

US intel insists that 17 drones and cruise missiles were launched in combination from southern Iran. In theory, Patriot radar would have picked that up and knocked the drones/missiles from the sky. So far, absolutely no record of this trajectory has been revealed. Military experts generally agree that the radar on the Patriot missile is good, but its success rate is “disputed” – to say the least. What’s important, once again, is that the Houthis do have advanced offensive missiles. And their pinpoint accuracy at Abqaiq was uncanny.

So we’re back to the realistic bottom line, which has been stressed by not only Moscow and Beijing but also Paris and Berlin: US President Donald Trump gambled big time, and he lost. Now he must find a face-saving way out. If the War Party allows it.

14 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Well, Bolton not wasting anytime blasting Trump. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/18/bolton-trump-foreign-policy-1501932

So now Bolton’s cool?  Man I can’t keep up. You guys got a playbook or something??  

Oh wait never mind. I figured it out. You hate anyone associated with Trump or Bush etc until they go against #orangemanbad then they are super cool. 

IT WAS YUGE: “Howdy Modi” Event In Houston: Trump And Indian PM Modi Celebrate U.S.-India Alliance.

This, too, is part of Trump’s diplomatic response to the Chinese.

President Trump participated in a "Howdy Modi" rally at NRG Stadium in Houston, celebrating the achievements of the Indian-American population and the U.S. alliance with India with India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Trump celebrated U.S.-India trade relations, defense agreements, and friendship.

"Howdy, my friends," Modi said as he began his address. "When you say 'Howdy, Modi', my answer is that everything is fine in India.

"Friends, as I told you, we have met [President Trump] a few times and every time he has been the same: warm, friendly, accessible, energetic and full of wit," Modi said. "India has a true friend in the White House."

"Prime Minister Modi and I have come to Houston to celebrate everything that unites the United States and India, our shared dreams and bright futures. I've also come to express my profound gratitude to the nearly four million amazing Indian-Americans all across our country," Trump said. "You enrich our culture, you uplift our values, and you are truly proud to be American, and we are proud to have you as Americans. We thank you, we love you, and I want you to know my administration is fighting for you every day."

"Today the spirit of Texas is reflecting here. This crowd is not just restricted to an arithmetic number. We are witnessing a new history in the making," Modi said.

"You (India) have never had a better friend as President as President Donald Trump," Trump said Sunday afternoon. "Under PM Modi’s leadership, the world is witnessing a strong, sovereign republic of India."

ARrFHLjO_bigger.jpgPlayTheTrumpCard @PlaysTrumpCard

70,000 brown-skinned people are standing, applauding and shouting "Trump Trump Trump" in Houston, Texas. The Indian Prime Minister himself is praising @realDonaldTrump & I think today should be the end of @TheDemocrats "Trump's a white supremacist" narrative, because it's idiotic

If being idiotic were a barrier, the Democrats wouldn’t have any narratives.

CNN journalist Christiane Amanpour quoted Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif as saying that President Hassan Rouhani was willing to meet US President Donald Trump in New York this week if sanctions were scrapped in exchange for "permanent monitoring" of Iran's nuclear activities.

In another tweet, Amanpour quoted Zarif saying: "The olive branch has always been on the table, but we're showing it again."

There has been no statement from Zarif himself about what Amanpour attributed to him

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/09/saudi-oil-attacks-latest-updates-190916102800973.html

42 minutes ago, ALF said:

CNN journalist Christiane Amanpour quoted Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif as saying that President Hassan Rouhani was willing to meet US President Donald Trump in New York this week if sanctions were scrapped in exchange for "permanent monitoring" of Iran's nuclear activities.

In another tweet, Amanpour quoted Zarif saying: "The olive branch has always been on the table, but we're showing it again."

There has been no statement from Zarif himself about what Amanpour attributed to him

Basically they want status quo pre-Trump. Back to the Obama plan that Trump is yelling at the Iranians to follow. 

In other news we are sending Troops into this Saudi war zone in defense of the kingdom and oil. Hmmm....

No status fvcking quo for the Iranians. They finance terror on a large scale and lie about their own nuclear program. Sanction them until the present regime collapses and a new government is formed by the people. They are a pariah and deserve to be treated as one.

• Like (+1) 1

"Americans are weary of war, and have no interest in entering another Middle East conflict, particularly on behalf of Saudi Arabia," Pelosi argued. "They will not stand by while the President undermines our security and jeopardizes the lives of our brave service members."

She's right. Our troops are not human shields and Saudi Arabia has enough weapons to defends its own corrupt, brutal regime 

US says Assad regime used chlorine in May attack

Pompeo said Wednesday that the US "will not allow these attacks to go unchallenged, nor will we tolerate those who choose to conceal these atrocities." He also announced an additional $4.5 million contribution by the US to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons "to help its investigations of continued chemical weapons use in Syria."

The Trump administration ordered retaliatory strikes against Syrian regime targets in 2017 and 2018 after reports of chemical weapons attacks by Syrian President Bashar al Assad's forces.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/26/politics/syria-chlorine-attack-may/index.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Well in that case, then I'd be fine with ganz holding the office. Was there a runoff I missed? If so, apologies.

Gantz has been unable to form a government and now its Netanyahu’s task to try.  

It looks like they might be heading to a third election.

1 minute ago, meazza said:

Gantz has been unable to form a government and now its Netanyahu’s task to try.  

It looks like they might be heading to a third election.

Not having a full understanding of their parliamentary system, what makes you say that it's the end of the only democracy in the ME?

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not having a full understanding of their parliamentary system, what makes you say that it's the end of the only democracy in the ME?

You need 60 seats to form a majority. Since there are many parties, any government will have to align themselves with other parties to form a government. 

Netanyahu has historically formed a coalition with the ultra religious to maintain his power and that’s why i personally don’t like him.

I don’t think it’s healthy to have the same leader for so long which is why I made the comment.

• Thank you (+1) 1