Just Moved From Boston - Explain This To Me!

Flip Johnson

Context: I grew up in Buffalo, diehard Bills fan, lived as a kid through the '90's Super Bowl.

I've lived in the Boston-area for the last ten years because of school/work. This past month I was incredibly blessed to move back to Buffalo for work. As a football fan, living in exile for the past decade, I couldn't be happier to be back in Buffalo.

WTF is with the negativity in this town?? We are alive for the playoffs on Christmas Eve. With a win, there is a good chance we will go into week 17 still alive. We have a historically good rushing offense and have a chance to knock Miami out of the playoffs, leaving the Fish with cleat marks on their back.

We are scoring 26 points a game. Do I wish we were 9-5 instead of 7-7? Yes. But this team needs a SAFETY to make the playoffs next year. A freaking play-making SAFETY. Maybe a linebacker. Not a new GM, new HC, new QB. And I'm listening to Schopp and the Bulldog drone on about the drought and reading idiot columnists talk about how Buffalo should want to trade places with the Browns.

I don't understand the Buffalo mentality where we have to ask permission from the outside to be relevant. The team is talented and the team is CLOSE. I am ready as the next person to see the drought end. But guess what - the drought might end on New Year's. And if it doesn't, I believe it will end in 2018.

I for one, will be happy to gather with my family on Christmas Eve and watch a big game this Saturday and then do a little scoreboard watching after we run over the Dolphins on Sunday.

The fact that you have been gone for 10 years speaks volumes. We are TIRED of failed promises and failure to make the playoffs. Each and every time this team has had a chance to make a statement and prove they are a playoff team, they have failed miserably. This team is poorly coached and the coaches need to go. Understand that mentality?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Context: I grew up in Buffalo, diehard Bills fan, lived as a kid through the '90's Super Bowl.

I've lived in the Boston-area for the last ten years because of school/work. This past month I was incredibly blessed to move back to Buffalo for work. As a football fan, living in exile for the past decade, I couldn't be happier to be back in Buffalo.

WTF is with the negativity in this town?? We are alive for the playoffs on Christmas Eve. With a win, there is a good chance we will go into week 17 still alive. We have a historically good rushing offense and have a chance to knock Miami out of the playoffs, leaving the Fish with cleat marks on their back.

We are scoring 26 points a game. Do I wish we were 9-5 instead of 7-7? Yes. But this team needs a SAFETY to make the playoffs next year. A freaking play-making SAFETY. Maybe a linebacker. Not a new GM, new HC, new QB. And I'm listening to Schopp and the Bulldog drone on about the drought and reading idiot columnists talk about how Buffalo should want to trade places with the Browns.

I don't understand the Buffalo mentality where we have to ask permission from the outside to be relevant. The team is talented and the team is CLOSE. I am ready as the next person to see the drought end. But guess what - the drought might end on New Year's. And if it doesn't, I believe it will end in 2018.

I for one, will be happy to gather with my family on Christmas Eve and watch a big game this Saturday and then do a little scoreboard watching after we run over the Dolphins on Sunday.

As I speak from experience as someone who actually attended "The Music City Mistake" and sat tirelessly through all these miserable rebuilding seasons, and false-hope nonsensical free agent signings, and every other shat-covered dumbass move this moronic franchise has made to basically maintain a 6-8 win season, I refuse to go into this game with a shred of hope for the post season. I really do not take that mathematical likelihood as "alive" or "in the hunt". This team has no business even sniffing the farts from real playoff teams asses, so, yeah, no. Not buying into it at all.

for this week only, I will not root against the Bills this weekend, as I explained why in another thread. I lived through why we hate the dolphins, so I hope for a win, but make no mistake, I am by no means "back on the wagon" nor am I running beside it. Until this team makes a genuine effort in fielding a winner, I will not pretend to think they have a chance next year.

GO Bills, squish the fish. Then get your clubs out, or your popcorn ready, I have a 70" big screen you can watch the playoff from, along with every other sub-par weak talented team.

P.S. Not angry with you by any means OP, just don't share your enthusiasm. Give the newness of your relocation some time, you'll come around. That team you remember watching fondly in the 90's is long gone, and you'll quickly realize this bunch of wash-ups will not feel the same. also, the fans that you see tailgating has devolved to the point of national level embarrassment, so even tailgating is not what it used to be.

Edited by Homey D. Clown

The drumbeat of negativity is very sad and depressing.

When it comes to the Bills I go back and forth with my wife on the topic of negativity. It gets pretty intense at times and I suspect its entertainment value would be much better than a lot of reality shows.

She's always positive. Every week she says they're going to win. If she was right they'd be 14-0 and would have won every regular season and playoff game and Super Bowl for about the past 10 years. She seems to think negativity expressed in our family room during the game transmits through the TV and onto the field of play adversely impacting the team's play. My counter argument is that there's a difference between being negative and being realistic. And a difference between being optimistic and delusional.

If its one thing Bills fans are good at it is recognizing failure when they see it. And Rex's version of the Bills have that look and feel. He over-sold and under-delivered proclaiming the Bills will be the top defense in the league. Right there he left himself no out where no excuses are acceptable. If some fans want to believe this team is ready to turn the corner with one more year of the same maybe they're right. Who really knows the future. Ultimately I don't blame Rex but rather the blame falls to ownership. They signed off on a head coach that was going to 'fix' something that wasn't broken at the time.

LMAO at these joke threads

This is the same half ass team we've been watching for 17 years. Good enough to not lose them all but unable to beat good teams and always winning garbage games when the season is done.

I can not take any solace in a cusp of a playoff berth.. In fact that's insulting. This team doesn't even deserve to smell the farts of a playoff team

If someone was in front of me and said what the OP just said I would bust their lip... the negativity comes from same old BS year in and year out

Edited by ddaryl

LMAO at these joke threads

This is the same half ass team we've been watching for 17 years. Good enough to not lose them all but unable to beat good teams and always winning garbage games when the season is done.

I can not take any solace in a cusp of a playoff berth.. In fact that's insulting.

If someone was in front of me and said what the OP just said I would bust their lip... the negativity comes from same old BS year in and year out

Hot Takes. Hot Takes. Come and get your Hot Takes Here.

Edited by PolishDave

It was said this team regressed because of Rex. I was pointing out, that no coach would quit an extremely talented roster with chance to win superbowl unless he saw issues-LIKE NO QB or first round pick and bad cap management. This assumption that Rex destroyed this great playoff team (a team whose coach quit on them) if you actually look at the many issues the team had, not counting that they have been in the top 5 probably in injuries the last two years.

Im a former huge Jets fan-You want me to fall in love with Herman Edwards, Eric mangini or Al Groh? Liked Parcells but I was young and he was old. Im worried about what im gonna do in a couple of weeks when he's fired. Gonna follow Rex wherever he goes but if he goes to broadcasting guess im done with NFL. Gonna be better for my sanity.

Can't really say you're a Bills fan then huh?

The reason i say that is because you follow a coach around the league. You're a Rex fan, not a Bills fan.

A bills fan is a fan of the jersey (not literally although the jerseys ARE awesome). When a player or coach leaves the team, we dont become fans of whatever team they ended up in. We still follow the Bills.

In reference to warfare, you betrayed the Jets and now come to us as an ally, but i see you as a spy and can betray is at any moment.

The drumbeat of negativity is very sad and depressing.

Certain members of the Buffalo media (as well as certain people here) thrive on negativity and are expert in finding the dark cloud in the silver lining.

Sorry.....I wasn't negative till this year and won't be positive till Rex leaves.

If your coach is unable to compete against good teams because lack of coaching skill and basic effort why would I believe in 3% chances. No joke, I could do better than Rex.

PS. I never played football

Why did Doug Marrone only go 15-17 with Bills? What were his excuses because I'm sure you would be happy with him as coach????

What were Carrolls excuses for not making playoffs first two years with Seattle?????

What was Patriots excuse for getting shutout by Bills-bad QB?

What was Vikings excuse for getting blown out by colts with playoffs on the line???? Is Zimmer a terrible coach??

What's Hue Jackson's excuse for going 0-14?

What's Jim Schwartz's excuse for being bad head coach or for losing to 2-12 Raiders?

You want a head coach that has accomplished nothing like Schwartz or Marrone over Ryan who went to two Championship games with Mark Sanchez and beat Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers and Peyton Manning in playoffs? I know, he only went 8-8 with Geno Smith and Jeremy Kerley as his number one receiver-Belichick would have won superbowl with those guys. He didn't get to ditch his first round Qb like Marrone did and have a receiver like Watkins on his team.

Not making excuses, just using logic. I know fire Rex and bring in Jim Harbaugh or Bill belichik. Or bring back Marrone WHO QUIT ON YOU. Or bring back Schwartz to coach a 35 year old Kyle Williams, a 15 tackle Mario Williams making 10 million dollars, and Dareus with no safeties and bad linebackers for an amazing 4-3 defense. That will make you guys happy.

Apples and oranges, blah, blah, blah, and things like that!

So you be supporting the team with a family gathering at New Era Field. Nice

My sister and her family are all in town from LA for Xmas, so I'm taking my brother-in-law to the game. It's a nice bookend to the trip we made out to LA for the Bills/Rams game in October.

"Lastly, I know if we get a couple breaks here or there we could've made the playoffs this year however still couldn't make a deep run but I'm not ready to blow it up just yet."

To be honest that's why I love Rex. If he made the playoffs anything can happen. You think 9-7 Jets thought they could get to AFC championship game. For the life of me, I cant understand how Rex gets his Geno Smith and no talent secondary to barely lose to Brady and Pats and then media comes up with how Rex got outcoached. Ryan with the Jets was able to compete against teams had no business competing against. Not sure why here, his teams fold up (and he himself isn't confident in stopping good offenses anymore).

I really think leaders and intelligent players are necessary for his complicated defense to be successful and I don't think he has that here especially at Safety and LB positions. You could say that is knock against him and his defenses and it would be hard for me to argue but I really think he can do special things with limited talent that few other coaches could do. Also, wont be as consistent as other coaches with his lax attitude but I love rooting for the guy cuz he's fun

If we got into the playoffs for some miracle we would get blown out! Rex can't even compete with a good coach. Rex plays checkers against chess players!

right on brother, and i agree with you..although i do feel the Pegulas might consider rooting out whoever is trying to get Rex fired by ratting to the media and give them the axe.

Did you see what Bill Belichick came up with to stop our explosive offense in Super Bowl 25? Bill is not so bad at that defense thing himself.

That offense scored 17 points and gained 370 yds in 19 minutes of ball possession...19 yds per minute and over 1 point per minute of possession...not bad...main problem with 25 and this years team is defense...not offense

Why did Doug Marrone only go 15-17 with Bills? What were his excuses because I'm sure you would be happy with him as coach????

What were Carrolls excuses for not making playoffs first two years with Seattle?????

What was Patriots excuse for getting shutout by Bills-bad QB?

What was Vikings excuse for getting blown out by colts with playoffs on the line???? Is Zimmer a terrible coach??

What's Hue Jackson's excuse for going 0-14?

What's Jim Schwartz's excuse for being bad head coach or for losing to 2-12 Raiders?

You want a head coach that has accomplished nothing like Schwartz or Marrone over Ryan who went to two Championship games with Mark Sanchez and beat Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers and Peyton Manning in playoffs? I know, he only went 8-8 with Geno Smith and Jeremy Kerley as his number one receiver-Belichick would have won superbowl with those guys. He didn't get to ditch his first round Qb like Marrone did and have a receiver like Watkins on his team.

Not making excuses, just using logic. I know fire Rex and bring in Jim Harbaugh or Bill belichik. Or bring back Marrone WHO QUIT ON YOU. Or bring back Schwartz to coach a 35 year old Kyle Williams, a 15 tackle Mario Williams making 10 million dollars, and Dareus with no safeties and bad linebackers for an amazing 4-3 defense. That will make you guys happy.

Your Logic has holes....Kyle Williams is one of the best in his position, Mario Williams is not a Bill. We have pretty decent linebackers. Do you actually watch the games?

That offense scored 17 points and gained 370 yds in 19 minutes of ball possession...19 yds per minute and over 1 point per minute of possession...not bad...main problem with 25 and this years team is defense...not offense

How many points did that offense score the game before?

The fact that you have been gone for 10 years speaks volumes. We are TIRED of failed promises and failure to make the playoffs. Each and every time this team has had a chance to make a statement and prove they are a playoff team, they have failed miserably. This team is poorly coached and the coaches need to go. Understand that mentality?

You just don't get it. A coach gets 1 year to remake the roster and make the playoffs or the media and misguided fans begin clamoring for a clean sweep, to start over again. I bet Ground hog day is your favorite movie! Albert Einstein's definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. That pretty well sums up you and your supporters. I'm not saying Rex is the answer but give the guy a chance. Same for Tyrod. I'm sick of the bone headed media who insist the only way to win is to have a QB who regularly throws for over 300 yards. Our offence is ranked in the top 10 so they are scoring enough points.

As I speak from experience as someone who actually attended "The Music City Mistake" and sat tirelessly through all these miserable rebuilding seasons, and false-hope nonsensical free agent signings, and every other shat-covered dumbass move this moronic franchise has made to basically maintain a 6-8 win season, I refuse to go into this game with a shred of hope for the post season. I really do not take that mathematical likelihood as "alive" or "in the hunt". This team has no business even sniffing the farts from real playoff teams asses, so, yeah, no. Not buying into it at all.

for this week only, I will not root against the Bills this weekend, as I explained why in another thread. I lived through why we hate the dolphins, so I hope for a win, but make no mistake, I am by no means "back on the wagon" nor am I running beside it. Until this team makes a genuine effort in fielding a winner, I will not pretend to think they have a chance next year.

GO Bills, squish the fish. Then get your clubs out, or your popcorn ready, I have a 70" big screen you can watch the playoff from, along with every other sub-par weak talented team.

P.S. Not angry with you by any means OP, just don't share your enthusiasm. Give the newness of your relocation some time, you'll come around. That team you remember watching fondly in the 90's is long gone, and you'll quickly realize this bunch of wash-ups will not feel the same. also, the fans that you see tailgating has devolved to the point of national level embarrassment, so even tailgating is not what it used to be.

Yeah give the rest of the CLOWNS time to drag you down.

"Lastly, I know if we get a couple breaks here or there we could've made the playoffs this year however still couldn't make a deep run but I'm not ready to blow it up just yet."

To be honest that's why I love Rex. If he made the playoffs anything can happen. You think 9-7 Jets thought they could get to AFC championship game. For the life of me, I cant understand how Rex gets his Geno Smith and no talent secondary to barely lose to Brady and Pats and then media comes up with how Rex got outcoached. Ryan with the Jets was able to compete against teams had no business competing against. Not sure why here, his teams fold up (and he himself isn't confident in stopping good offenses anymore).

I really think leaders and intelligent players are necessary for his complicated defense to be successful and I don't think he has that here especially at Safety and LB positions. You could say that is knock against him and his defenses and it would be hard for me to argue but I really think he can do special things with limited talent that few other coaches could do. Also, wont be as consistent as other coaches with his lax attitude but I love rooting for the guy cuz he's fun

I agree with you bro. Only thing that hurts your credibility is that you were once a jets fan. Yuck

We aren't far off.

Offense

QB - retain Tyrod and open up offense with Lynn's playbook

WR - we need a tall threat who can run routes and catch 50/50 jump balls

TE - a 6'5" or taller guy who can run the seam route and force the safeties back deep.

RT - I like Groy at RG, and Miller going to RT and benching Mills. Maybe move Cordy to RT. and insert Cyrus at LT.

Defense

DT - another big guy who can plug the run when Kyle or Dareus are hurt / suspended

DE - again wouldn't hurt to have another guy

OLB - resign Zo

MLB - Ragland

CB - resign Gilmore

SS - we need to replace A Will

FS - Graham is okay but could use a younger guy in middle of draft

K - Carpenter needs a successor

P - Schmidt has been average bring in some comp