Just Moved From Boston - Explain This To Me!

Flip Johnson

Context: I grew up in Buffalo, diehard Bills fan, lived as a kid through the '90's Super Bowl.

I've lived in the Boston-area for the last ten years because of school/work. This past month I was incredibly blessed to move back to Buffalo for work. As a football fan, living in exile for the past decade, I couldn't be happier to be back in Buffalo.

WTF is with the negativity in this town?? We are alive for the playoffs on Christmas Eve. With a win, there is a good chance we will go into week 17 still alive. We have a historically good rushing offense and have a chance to knock Miami out of the playoffs, leaving the Fish with cleat marks on their back.

We are scoring 26 points a game. Do I wish we were 9-5 instead of 7-7? Yes. But this team needs a SAFETY to make the playoffs next year. A freaking play-making SAFETY. Maybe a linebacker. Not a new GM, new HC, new QB. And I'm listening to Schopp and the Bulldog drone on about the drought and reading idiot columnists talk about how Buffalo should want to trade places with the Browns.

I don't understand the Buffalo mentality where we have to ask permission from the outside to be relevant. The team is talented and the team is CLOSE. I am ready as the next person to see the drought end. But guess what - the drought might end on New Year's. And if it doesn't, I believe it will end in 2018.

I for one, will be happy to gather with my family on Christmas Eve and watch a big game this Saturday and then do a little scoreboard watching after we run over the Dolphins on Sunday.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Context: I grew up in Buffalo, diehard Bills fan, lived as a kid through the '90's Super Bowl.

I've lived in the Boston-area for the last ten years because of school/work. This past month I was incredibly blessed to move back to Buffalo for work. As a football fan, living in exile for the past decade, I couldn't be happier to be back in Buffalo.

WTF is with the negativity in this town?? We are alive for the playoffs on Christmas Eve. With a win, there is a good chance we will go into week 17 still alive. We have a historically good rushing offense and have a chance to knock Miami out of the playoffs, leaving the Fish with cleat marks on their back.

We are scoring 26 points a game. Do I wish we were 9-5 instead of 7-7? Yes. But this team needs a SAFETY to make the playoffs next year. A freaking play-making SAFETY. Maybe a linebacker. Not a new GM, new HC, new QB. And I'm listening to Schopp and the Bulldog drone on about the drought and reading idiot columnists talk about how Buffalo should want to trade places with the Browns.

I don't understand the Buffalo mentality where we have to ask permission from the outside to be relevant. The team is talented and the team is CLOSE. I am ready as the next person to see the drought end. But guess what - the drought might end on New Year's. And if it doesn't, I believe it will end in 2018.

I for one, will be happy to gather with my family on Christmas Eve and watch a big game this Saturday and then do a little scoreboard watching after we run over the Dolphins on Sunday.

So you be supporting the team with a family gathering at New Era Field. Nice

:beer::beer::thumbsup:

Yea, I agree, I was huge Jets fan but now huge Bills fan because Rex (if/when fired gonna hate you guys like Jets right now). Disappointed with his job on defense but overall not doing a bad job. For some reason, the fans think they won the superbowl in 2014 and Rex ruined it. After 2014, their coach quit and their quarterback retired. And they had no first round (or fourth round pick I believe but could be wrong on that). They also had a dominant defense that was based on a defensive line that had two over 30 year olds (one washed up, one awesome but injured last year) and a pothead that is not a winning player. Their only good safety has a neck injury that probably should keep him out of playing football again-so basically have worst safeties in the league. And their linebackers are below average and the WR they spent two first round picks on has been injured basically this whole year. Shocker they're not 10-4. If only the great Doug Marrone had decided not to leave a superbowl roster they would be so much better. The biggest problem on defense is that their highest paid player, Dareus, is not a winner. They need leaders on defense that will show up even when things are not going well like Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander. Let Rex get that and watch him build a good defense like he did in NY. I know he hasn't made playoffs in 6 years but four of those years were with Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. He is in a new place, with new Qb. Give him some time to turn around his defense and it will be worth it.

You have been away from these parts a bit too long. The negativity comes from empty promises & what is sure to be 17 years of no playoffs.

Yea, I agree, I was huge Jets fan but now huge Bills fan because Rex (if/when fired gonna hate you guys like Jets right now). Disappointed with his job on defense but overall not doing a bad job. For some reason, the fans think they won the superbowl in 2014 and Rex ruined it. After 2014, their coach quit and their quarterback retired. And they had no first round (or fourth round pick I believe but could be wrong on that). They also had a dominant defense that was based on a defensive line that had two over 30 year olds (one washed up, one awesome but injured last year) and a pothead that is not a winning player. Their only good safety has a neck injury that probably should keep him out of playing football again-so basically have worst safeties in the league. And their linebackers are below average and the WR they spent two first round picks on has been injured basically this whole year. Shocker they're not 10-4. If only the great Doug Marrone had decided not to leave a superbowl roster they would be so much better. The biggest problem on defense is that their highest paid player, Dareus, is not a winner. They need leaders on defense that will show up even when things are not going well like Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander. Let Rex get that and watch him build a good defense like he did in NY. I know he hasn't made playoffs in 6 years but four of those years were with Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. He is in a new place, with new Qb. Give him some time to turn around his defense and it will be worth it.

Hey Rex, nice of you to join the board & pop in.

The problem with your takes is the only thing you offer is excuses. And everyone here is sick of them. Excuse, excuse, excuse. Winners don't make excuses. They get it done.

I know Rex hasn't made playoffs in 6 years but

But nothing. You aren't defending Ryan well. You are making a better case for canning him.

Give him some time to turn around his defense and it will be worth it.

We did give him time turn the defense around. 2 years. He turned it around alright. He took a decent defense and made it a lot worse than it was. Congrats Jets fan. Your guy made the Bills worse off on defense.

Edited by PolishDave

The drumbeat of negativity is very sad and depressing.

Certain members of the Buffalo media (as well as certain people here) thrive on negativity and are expert in finding the dark cloud in the silver lining.

Vocal minority vs silent majority my friend. That is all. Welcome back.

Yes, those that don't understand the negativity are certainly the vocal minority.

The vocal majority are pissed and booing.

The actual MAJORITY are so bored by the mediocrity that they don't give a sh*t anymore.

Rex is supposed to be a defensive expert and the Bills have given up 81 more points than the Pats

Did you see what Bill Belichick came up with to stop our explosive offense in Super Bowl 25? Bill is not so bad at that defense thing himself.

The drumbeat of negativity is very sad and depressing.

Certain members of the Buffalo media (as well as certain people here) thrive on negativity and are expert in finding the dark cloud in the silver lining.

If you don't like the support then fly up from sunny Miami and come sit out in the rain Saturday Pete.

Then you and Mark80 and Flip Johnson can picket TBN on Christmas. :thumbsup:

The problem with your takes is the only thing you offer is excuses. And everyone here is sick of them. Excuse, excuse, excuse. Winners don't make excuses. They get it done.

We did give him time turn the defense around. 2 years. He turned it around alright. He took a decent defense and made it a lot worse than it was. Congrats Jets fan. Your guy made the Bills worse off on defense.

Why did Doug Marrone only go 15-17 with Bills? What were his excuses because I'm sure you would be happy with him as coach????

What were Carrolls excuses for not making playoffs first two years with Seattle?????

What was Patriots excuse for getting shutout by Bills-bad QB?

What was Vikings excuse for getting blown out by colts with playoffs on the line???? Is Zimmer a terrible coach??

What's Hue Jackson's excuse for going 0-14?

What's Jim Schwartz's excuse for being bad head coach or for losing to 2-12 Raiders?

You want a head coach that has accomplished nothing like Schwartz or Marrone over Ryan who went to two Championship games with Mark Sanchez and beat Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers and Peyton Manning in playoffs? I know, he only went 8-8 with Geno Smith and Jeremy Kerley as his number one receiver-Belichick would have won superbowl with those guys. He didn't get to ditch his first round Qb like Marrone did and have a receiver like Watkins on his team.

Not making excuses, just using logic. I know fire Rex and bring in Jim Harbaugh or Bill belichik. Or bring back Marrone WHO QUIT ON YOU. Or bring back Schwartz to coach a 35 year old Kyle Williams, a 15 tackle Mario Williams making 10 million dollars, and Dareus with no safeties and bad linebackers for an amazing 4-3 defense. That will make you guys happy.

Why did Doug Marrone only go 15-17 with Bills? What were his excuses because I'm sure you would be happy with him as coach????

What were Carrolls excuses for not making playoffs first two years with Seattle?????

What was Vikings excuse for getting blown out by colts with playoffs on the line???? Is Zimmer a terrible coach??

What's Jim Schwartz's excuse for being bad head coach or for losing to 2-12 Raiders?

You want a head coach that has accomplished nothing like Schwartz or Marrone over Ryan who went to two Championship games with Mark Sanchez and beat Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers and Peyton Manning in playoffs? I know, he only went 8-8 with Geno Smith and Jeremy Kerley as his number one receiver-Belichick would have won superbowl with those guys. He didn't get to ditch his first round Qb like Marrone did and have a receiver like Watkins on his team.

Not making excuses, just using logic. I know fire Rex and bring in Jim Harbaugh or Bill belichik. Or bring back Marrone WHO QUIT ON YOU. Or bring back Schwartz to coach a 35 year old Kyle Williams, a 15 tackle Mario Williams making 10 million dollars, and Dareus with no safeties and bad linebackers for an amazing 4-3 defense. That will make you guys happy.

Get em! :worthy:

1st bold - no Tom Brady

2nd Blod - Their starting QB suffered a catastrophic injury a week before the season.

3rd bold - Have you seen Cleveland's roster. They have played 6-8 QBs this year.