Just Moved From Boston - Explain This To Me!

Flip Johnson

Your #4 defense is without it's best safety, one of your core 4 dline is completely washed up, another injured all of last year, another injured/suspended this year and your best LB would have been gone in free agency anyways. Your offense had NO QB (not such important position I guess) and your number 1 receive, WHO YOU GAVE UP TWO FIRST ROUND, has been injured this whole year. Your terrible running game is now number one. If your team was on the upswing after 2014 (with no qb or first round qb) WHY DID YOUR COACH QUIT ON YOU???

What does this have to do with anything?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This. Team. Has. Regressed. Under. Rex. Ryan.

Let the season play out Id say.

The offense has gotten better (which was not expected). The defense has gotten worse (which is probably the most damning aspect of Rex's tenure). So overall the team is probably about the same. Im not advocating for Rex, but i can also entertain people wanting him one more season.

team has been realistically eliminated at the beginning of December, again. They might excel in 1 area... but are severely lacking in many others. They have not been competitive against good teams, save the Seattle MNF game... This has been the way of many of these teams in the past 17 years. They have 6 games this season against the worst 5 teams in the league which helps "optimism"

I look at the team/roster and I am not given reinforced hope for future success. Parts of the team is aging to add to existing holes, and I do not see a glut of young players with upside to give hope.

As far as knocking Miami out of the playoffs... I don't really care. It is a silly "rivalry", whose last bastion was inside Mr Wilson's head.

Edited by May Day 10

Of course I don't. After being huge Jets fan and then becoming Bills fan I realized it's impossible to follow team objectively. I always thought as Jets fan that Jets got bad rap when they are not close to being one of the worst franchises. They made playoffs many years and didn't have luxury of number 1 Qb falling into their laps (Colts are good franchise because stunk like crazy two years and got lucky???????).

Either way, missing playoffs 17 years stinks and would drive me absolutely nuts but that shouldn't stop people from disputing actual points about direction of team after 2014 and after this year.

So if Rex ends up coaching college football, what team will you then root for in the NFL?

I'm a little confused to why out of all the great coaches in the league, you chose Rex as the one to love.

This cannot be understated! I grew up with the championship teams as well. I always have that to fall back on. Lets face it, a lot of the guys on here missed that era, and they feel jealous and entitled to a super bowl contender.

Likely very true, unless you believe that the subsection of Bills fans on this site represent the vast majority of Bills fans. I don't. Most fans can go on with their lives and put things in perspective I'd like to believe.

Curmudgeon Sully is the hero to some of this board!

He is right out in front leading the charge on the Bastille.

P.S. I prefer to call him Sullen rather than Sully.

What does this have to do with anything?

It was said this team regressed because of Rex. I was pointing out, that no coach would quit an extremely talented roster with chance to win superbowl unless he saw issues-LIKE NO QB or first round pick and bad cap management. This assumption that Rex destroyed this great playoff team (a team whose coach quit on them) if you actually look at the many issues the team had, not counting that they have been in the top 5 probably in injuries the last two years.

So if Rex ends up coaching college football, what team will you then root for in the NFL?

I'm a little confused to why out of all the great coaches in the league, you chose Rex as the one to love.

Im a former huge Jets fan-You want me to fall in love with Herman Edwards, Eric mangini or Al Groh? Liked Parcells but I was young and he was old. Im worried about what im gonna do in a couple of weeks when he's fired. Gonna follow Rex wherever he goes but if he goes to broadcasting guess im done with NFL. Gonna be better for my sanity.

Context: I grew up in Buffalo, diehard Bills fan, lived as a kid through the '90's Super Bowl.

I've lived in the Boston-area for the last ten years because of school/work. This past month I was incredibly blessed to move back to Buffalo for work. As a football fan, living in exile for the past decade, I couldn't be happier to be back in Buffalo.

WTF is with the negativity in this town?? We are alive for the playoffs on Christmas Eve. With a win, there is a good chance we will go into week 17 still alive. We have a historically good rushing offense and have a chance to knock Miami out of the playoffs, leaving the Fish with cleat marks on their back.

We are scoring 26 points a game. Do I wish we were 9-5 instead of 7-7? Yes. But this team needs a SAFETY to make the playoffs next year. A freaking play-making SAFETY. Maybe a linebacker. Not a new GM, new HC, new QB. And I'm listening to Schopp and the Bulldog drone on about the drought and reading idiot columnists talk about how Buffalo should want to trade places with the Browns.

I don't understand the Buffalo mentality where we have to ask permission from the outside to be relevant. The team is talented and the team is CLOSE. I am ready as the next person to see the drought end. But guess what - the drought might end on New Year's. And if it doesn't, I believe it will end in 2018.

I for one, will be happy to gather with my family on Christmas Eve and watch a big game this Saturday and then do a little scoreboard watching after we run over the Dolphins on Sunday.

I'm with you, brother!

I once read a book by a Vietnam vet and POW. He said that while the pessimists didn't do well in prison, the optimists were the worst. They kept seeing signs that their release was imminent, only to have their hopes dashed. Too many instances of this and their spirits were crushed and they ended up dying.

I think something similar is happening here. I'm going to guess you're a realist and didn't have high hopes for this season to begin with. The pessimists already determined Rex sucks and will never get us to the playoffs. So they're pissing and moaning. And the optimists thought we had a real chance to make the playoffs this year, and now they feel disappointed and betrayed. So they're pissing and moaning.

With the TALENT the Bills have on defense I can't figure out why they are so... inconsistent. I mean the Bills have top 5 D talent.

They were top 5 defense in 2014. Now takeaway one of their Dlinemen because he's washed up. Now take away one to injury for one season. Then take away one for pot/injury. So you're vaunted Dline is down to two good linemen. now take your linebackers. Bradham got injured last year and would have been gone this year because of cap purposes so your linebackers are below average (especially if count Hughes on Dline). Your number two corner isn't anything special and number one has had some bad games. your best safety has basically been injured for both years. so a number four defense, take away 4 important players, IS NOT TOP 5 TALENT. your Dline is probably average, Linebackers below average, corners ill give you above average, and safeties are literally the worst in the league-THAT'S TOP 5 TALENT??????? THIS ISNT 2014?????

Would be better if kept Schwartz but this is not top 5.

The drumbeat of negativity is very sad and depressing.

Certain members of the Buffalo media (as well as certain people here) thrive on negativity and are expert in finding the dark cloud in the silver lining.

You act as though this is a good team. I'd argue you're delusional, but pointing out the obvious wouldn't end up being much help im afraid.

For what it is worth, even though I live in Miami, I am a Buffalo Bills season ticket holder.

Well if you can't make it maybe send Flip your ticket so he can get to the Ralph and show his undying support Saturday! :thumbsup::lol:

I think it's important for people to keep in perspective two things:

1) Not making the playoffs for going on two decades is VERY, VERY, VERY awful.........it's not a small scale disappointment......it's incredible futility.

2) Your level of discouragement is directly relative to your level of investment.

For some of us, we live in nice climates and have plenty of disposable income and even though we follow the Bills closely we have dozens of great entertainment options that soften the blow of dealing with the Bills ineptitude.

For others.......like Bills reporters........they have to LIVE with this dysfunctional organization every day. It's tied to their livelihood and what they do most of their day.

And they speak for fans who have less time/options......the core of Bills fandom........and therefore are more heavily invested in the Bills results.

I always say this.........I am a Sabres fan......I go to the occasional game......watch them on TV and follow them online..........but you couldn't pay me to go to the arena every night and watch the typical 20 or so dud performances that hockey team puts out there.

So when I say I am glad they are tanking..........I realize that my level of satisfaction with Sabres management would be different if I were more invested.

There is a degree of emotional intelligence lacking in people who can't understand such a distinction.

Yes, those that don't understand the negativity are certainly the vocal minority.

The vocal majority are pissed and booing.

The actual MAJORITY are so bored by the mediocrity that they don't give a sh*t anymore.

Sometimes I think "Still Settling for mediocrity" could actually be the slogan for the entire greater buffalo area. I always am reminded of that when I go back there to visit friends and family.

Sure keep Wrecks and be better than Cleveland. Some day we will see Him and his massive coaching staff fluke into a wild card round bludgeoning. At least they aren't Jauron painful to watch.

Make no mistake. Nothing is being built here. Shady McCoy has basically taken the team on his back and willed the team to wins over the NFL bottom dwellers. He's the only consistently elite performer I see on the roster and his shelf life is very limited.

Better teams contain him and have no problem steam rolling the defense at their leisure.