Guess how many teams...

Hooray racking up points against teams like Browns, Jets, Cardinals is awesome... Why don't you look at more then one stat. When you just post one !@#$ing stat it makes your argument look stupid.

Name one scoring offense that didn't get that reputation by racking up points against bad teams.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and yet 7-7 and most likely out of the playoffs again....

Also 24th in 1st down percentage, 24th in 3rd down percentage, 31st is pass, 27th in total team plays, 26th in offensive plays per game, 26th in TOP, 12th most 3 and outs

Interesting indeed

Edit: Also 31st in Sack rate

defense is the problem

In their losses- against the good teams, with the exception of the Baltimore game- they have scored 31, 25, 25, 25, 24 and 20 points.

In their losses- against the good teams, with the exception of the Baltimore game- they have scored 31, 25, 25, 25, 24 and 20 points.

The Bills have scored 24 or more points in 10 games this year so far..they haven't done that in forever.

the Steelers are 9-1 in games when they scored 24 or more points;

the Chiefs are 7-0 I think

The Broncs are 6-1;

The Texans are 6-1 in which they've scored more than 20, I think.

The Bills are 5-5.

defense is the problem

so is qb....

The Bills have scored 24 or more points in 10 games this year so far..they haven't done that in forever.

the Steelers are 9-1 in games when they scored 24 or more points;

the Chiefs are 7-0 I think

The Broncs are 6-1;

The Texans are 6-1 in which they've scored more than 20, I think.

The Bills are 5-5.

And their offenses can sustain drives...

I disagree. IMO the defense is why they will probably not make the playoffs again. The offence is averaging 5.6 yards a play this year and averaged 5.7 last year. The last time they had anything better was in 91 with 5.9. Yes, they laid an egg on opening day, but they had losses even though they put up 31, 25, 25, 25, 24 and 20 points. The league average for points scored per game is about 22. For CS they they put up 25 points in Seattle, no team has put up more points in Seattle than the bills this year, but when the going got tough, the D caved in. I agree that TT needs to improve, and I think he will, but to put the seasons failures on him is crazy.

That's all I have to say about that.

GO BILLS!!!!

Actually that's completely wrong. When the going got tough the D held Seattle to 3 second half points and about 50 yards of offense....their collapse happened in the 2nd quarter...

defense is the problem

we arent perfect but last time I checked you don't win games by out time of possessing the opponent...you win by scoring more points

Edited by matter2003

Imagine how good our offense would be if we didn't have a high school passing attack!

But too many 3 and outs that kill the defense. Once we fall behind by a touchdown, the game is over. We are a really good team with a lead but we are so one dimensional that we really have no shot against a good team.

have more offensive touchdowns than the Bills this season?

Two. The Falcons and the Saints.

Blow the whole thing up.

Points bad. Passing yards good. Its the dumbing down of America.

Offense breaking scoring records for the franchise and easily 50% of the fanbase is too mentally challenged to even appreciate it.

Imagine how good our offense would be if we didn't have a high school passing attack!

But too many 3 and outs that kill the defense. Once we fall behind by a touchdown, the game is over. We are a really good team with a lead but we are so one dimensional that we really have no shot against a good team.

There is very little, if any, correlation between 3 and out % on offense and whether a team is successful overall.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/three-and-out-percentage/2016/

There is very little, if any, correlation between 3 and out % on offense and whether a team is successful overall.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/three-and-out-percentage/2016/

Again with cherry picking of stats and not looking at the whole picture that many posters like to do.

And if you don't have a lights out defense that also at times has trouble forcing 3 and outs or stopping a running back or giving up big pass plays - care to guess what happens to that team's overall success when your offense can't stay on the field for more than 2 minutes a drive; repeatedly?

What do you think would have happened in the Oakland/Miami/Jets/Steelers game if we could have had a few sustained drives in the 3rd and 4th? We most likely would not have put our sieve defense back out on the field to get torched and we would have either won or had a chance to pull off a late minute score to steal the game.

We have given up the 22nd most points in the league; not exactly a defense I want to put out there repeatedly. We are 19th in plays against on D. We have the 5th most rushing attempts against our D and 6th most rushing yards against. We also are tied for 2nd in most big rushing plays against (#of runs over 10 yards) https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-rushing-big-plays-against/2016/. We are decent in passing because teams don't have to pass against us in order to win.

So if you go three and out frequently, do you not give the opponent more opportunities to score against you with this type of defense? That puts more pressure on your team to score every possession which we are not great at. What is our WL record when we are behind by 4? Hint it isn't good enough to be in the playoffs, or to be mentioned as a good team...

Edited by Reed83HOF

I get your point on putting the defense back on the field. However, that seems to me to be a great job of making the point that our defense is the issue more than it is an offensive issue.

The idea of lots of sustained drives is great, but the best team in the league averages 6.27 plays per drive. The second to last team averages 5.08. Miami is last at 4.77.

We're looking at a difference between the best and worst team of 1.5 plays on average. The Bills are actually middle of the pack at 5.70, which, given that their 3 and out percentage is near the bottom of the league, indicates they are actually better than average at sustaining drives. If we look at ten+ play drives, the Bills are #12 in the NFL, so upper half of the league.

On the other hand, the defense is #21 in opponent scoring efficiency, #14 in yards against per play, #22 in third down efficiency, #21 in TDs against.

It's fair to want less 3 and outs, but overall the offense is also decent at sustained drives. Our defense is the issue.

have more offensive touchdowns than the Bills this season?

Two. The Falcons and the Saints.

Blow the whole thing up.

that's great but we are not winning and TT is not a NFL QB, passing for 170 yds a game IS NOT good enough.

Guess how many teams have a worse passing offense than the Bills?

One...49ers.

Even if they upped their passing offense by 50 yards, to a very modest 230 yards a game, it would probably make a big difference. It is mind boggling that even if they are averaging 230, they are still near the bottom 1/3 of the league. Instead you have a QB that is gun shy, stands in the pocket for 3 seconds, takes off, and either throws on the run, or just takes off.

You really think that is a formula for leading a team to the playoffs, or gasp...a team that can win a playoff game?

much better said than myself.

Don't be obtuse. The passing game is horrible in a league designed to assist passers. There will be times your team is going to need to pass the ball. There will be shootouts. This team is simply incapable in that regard

Many teams are going to struggle in shootouts.

People act like there are 31 teams that dominate through the air. Passing stats are inflated around the NFL. Pay no attention to them. There a handful of teams that pass the ball to win games.