Guess how many teams...

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a serious question: if we had a QB that passed for 250-300yds a game but had no running game, would the same outcry exist? I dont think it would. We could even be scoring less than we do now. But who cares bc we can pass well. I can really see less of an outcry if this offense was reversed. People just dont care about the running game. Its all about passing. Even if you suck at least you go down passing. I think thats the mindset that wont change.

You are right. Most people really don't care about the running game.

Truth be told - a team with a strong passing attack is a lot more exciting and fun to watch than a team with a strong running attack.

Running is boring unless you are an offensive linemen or running back.

Insightful post. The world is still flat, too.

You think after 2 full seasons of being among the best in the NFL at scoring, defenses would figure out how to stop this one dimension.

Fact is its not that easy to stop the run when you HAVE to spy on the QB and keep contain. To not acknowledge the asset that TT is to the offense in that respect is foolish. As for passing, if you want more yards then we'll have to run less. But why do that when our offensive formula already works. We score. And we score a lot.

So Tyrod doesn't stink ? You want him back ?

Those 6 wins vs 17-65 teams have you all giddy ?

4th qtrs and clutch time = where did Tyrod go. Can we turn the page now ?

You think after 2 full seasons of being among the best in the NFL at scoring, defenses would figure out how to stop this one dimension.

Fact is its not that easy to stop the run when you HAVE to spy on the QB and keep contain. To not acknowledge the asset that TT is to the offense in that respect is foolish. As for passing, if you want more yards then we'll have to run less. But why do that when our offensive formula already works. We score. And we score a lot.

You're being willfully blind to the offense's faults and shortcomings if you think points scored is THE measure of offensive effectiveness. Has the defense been hot garbage at times? Absolutely. But that's PRECISELY when you need the offense to keep up with the opponent, and that's one thing our almighty rushing offense cannot do. It cannot come back when behind by a margin of 7+ and it CANNOT win a shootout.

OK... This means absolutely nothing.

It does mean something. The goal of an offense is to score, preferably touchdowns. Sometimes I feel like ALynn is making lemonade with lemons, but he's having some success.

Clearly, TT's accuracy problems lead to too many 3 and outs. The Bills average somewhere around 31 yards per drive - about average in the NFL. The Bills O is feast or famine: TD or quick punt.

The O could be better. But it's hardly a horror show, even with TT at the reins.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I would say this is a time when stats don't show the full story. I mean would anyone consider the Bills O more potent than GB, Detroit, Seattle, NE, Pitt, Oakland, NO,Atlanta, etc.. and I think TN and Mariota scarier O.

I would say now is the time when your subjective view of a matter overrides the objective, tangible data. For the 100th time, scoring isnt some weird, arbitrary stat. Its THE FUNDAMENTAL STAT. And for TWO seasons now we score at a top 10 level. Talk about refusing to accept the obvious.

Haha okay Metz. You are reminding me of a certain EJ defender who is no longer with us at this point.

I said I don't care if they let Taylor walk. All I said is you can't suck and have a top ten scoring offense for two straight years. And then people say "run game" and I say yes, but Taylor is a big part- the biggest part- of what makes the run game so effective. EJ Manuel was and is done for as a starting NFL QB. Everyone knew it then, everyone knows it now. Clearly, Taylor is a more complex discussion. That is a false equivalency if there ever was one.

I said I don't care if they let Taylor walk. All I said is you can't suck and have a top ten scoring offense for two straight years. And then people say "run game" and I say yes, but Taylor is a big part- the biggest part- of what makes the run game so effective. EJ Manuel was and is done for as a starting NFL QB. Everyone knew it then, everyone knows it now. Clearly, Taylor is a more complex discussion. That is a false equivalency if there ever was one.

MetzFan4Ever.

1. You somehow found a way to break down the simplest post and run a muck with assumptions.

2. Please explain where this beautiful offensive attack was while trailling or tied late in the game 5 or 6 times this year?

3. How many times do you need to be told it's a passing league before you understand that without a passing threat, and down more than 7 points, you've lost the game?

4. The QB contain argument is silly. Lesean McCoy is running like crazy, as is Gillislee, and I think it has more to do with run blocking scheme and the fact that McCoy is HOF a HOF level talent

5. I DON'T SIMPLY WANT MORE PASSING YARDS ... I'm sick of reading this like I'm some buffoon who holds up the Monday morning paper and highlights the passing yards and crumples it up if we have less than 300. To be the 32nd ranked passing offense that scores does not indicate to me that we're a well balanced team that can attack teams through the air with the game on the line. It's deflating when you have must win games and your QB throws for less than 200 yards. Game plan? Inability to read the defense? No hot-routes or audibles? Can't lead a receiver? Can't find the Tight End? I don't even care anymore which it is, but it's a combination of all of them and it's the reason we're 7-7 with all our wins coming against terrible teams.

and 6. We're not making the playoffs. Looks like offensive TD's is not solely an indicator for success in the NFL. Maybe we hung 40+ on the 49ers, rang in 30+ on the Browns and the Cardinals, but when the game mattered most, where was the offense?

Why do people keep drawing inferences from my post. I just thought it was an interesting statistic. And you could make the argument that the Saints should in fact blow it up. I will say this though. Taylor is last in the league in passing yardage. I got that. But there are more than a few quarterbacks in the league with more passing yardage that would've put up less points than Taylor has in this offense. And unlike a handful of posters on this site, I will take the points over the passing yardage.

No, no ... I am drawing inferences from the data. I think the offense is doing exactly what the blue print wanted it to do.

The defense has been an abject and expensive failure (Rex, rob, Reed, the front 4, free agents, the draft picks,etc)

I would say now is the time when your subjective view of a matter overrides the objective, tangible data. For the 100th time, scoring isnt some weird, arbitrary stat. Its THE FUNDAMENTAL STAT. And for TWO seasons now we score at a top 10 level. Talk about refusing to accept the obvious.

I would argue that wins is the fundamental stat...settle down Francis.

6. We're not making the playoffs. Looks like offensive TD's is not solely an indicator for success in the NFL. Maybe we hung 40+ on the 49ers, rang in 30+ on the Browns and the Cardinals, but when the game mattered most, where was the offense defense?

Fixed it for you. You're welcome.

That and also - Gary Kubiak thinks you are wrong in your opinion of how to win games and Superbowls.

Edited by PolishDave

I would say this is a time when stats don't show the full story. I mean would anyone consider the Bills O more potent than GB, Detroit, Seattle, NE, Pitt, Oakland, NO,Atlanta, etc.. and I think TN and Mariota scarier O.

This is actually true. You actually feel that when one of those teams is behind they can make a play to comeback. the bills can't and TT's record shows they can't and don't. That is a BFP (Big F&ing Problem)...Sometimes you actually have to run the clock out or have that last drive to put the game out of reach, we don't do that and we really aren't capable of doing that; our record in those situations clearly indicate that.

Edit: looking at the other posts that popped up while I was writing this. How have we (as a fan base) become blind to the fact that sometimes you simply have to score more points than the other team? It is an Offense oriented era of football and Defense has been on the decline for years; it is not unreasonable to think and expect that on some games, the offense has to be able to step up and score from behind or to score enough to make sure you win....

Edited by Reed83HOF

I also saw Mike Clay tweet this earlier today. Very surprised by it but it does reinforce how bad our defense has been. A little better defense vs Seattle, NYJ, and Oakland, and right now we're all discussing a playoff team.

I'm starting to believe the right thing to do is promote Lynn and give him a mandate to find someone to fix the defense. He's done a tremendous job given what he has to work with.

I've come around to this too. The O isn't the problem and has been generally pretty good under Lynn. They need to work on longer drives in teh 2nd half, fewer 3 and outs, but given the situation Lynn would be a good choice to maintain at least a veneer of stability and continuity. Find a creative young DC and maybe we have our coaching staff for a while

Lol. keep deflecting.

Offense

Defense

Special teams

3 components of a football TEAM needed to win. Thats not what we're talking about here.

Deflecting? You mean how you ignored my post where I went down line by line and called you out?