Shaq Lawson - let's do this

Dragonborn10

I watched him quite a bit today. He still looks very slow. He is listed at 6'3" and 270. He looks closer to 290 and not very athletic.

He is getting more playing time to the coaches must see something I am missing.

I've said before but there is no way this guy can play a 3-4 OLB. Maybe a 4-3 DE which is what I saw him lining up at today most of the time.

Curious for other opinions.

I'm glad he is getting playing time but still very unimpressed for a first round pick.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll be in a 4-3 under the new regime.

Shaq----Reefer99---Adolphus---Hughes.

Preston (OLB)----Ragland (MLB)---*Hopefully someone good* (OLB)

That's your front 7.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by Big Blitz

Shaq Lawson appears overweight, slow to react, hesitant, underwhelming power, stiff/rigid, doesn't bend or dip, & is a liability when pursuing to the edge.

His midsection is doughy, and his quickness laterally is comprised by a "clod-hopper" gait.

Was not a huge fan, didn't like the pick, he's a tweener right now. Very little bend, good hand usage and strength makes up for athleticism and speed, he's not your ordinary 3-4 OLB, more of DE, but if he's out too wide in a 4-3 he may have issues. We'll see how he develops and grows.

He needs to get in better NFL football shape, something a full offseason-camp should help with going forward.

It was a shoulder not a knee. He shouldn't be fat. He should have been trimmed down if anything.

I agree though. A full year in a professional off-season should do him well. As long as he doesn't follow the Diet by Karlos method.

He's a rookie that had no training camp and has had almost no time to get in any meaningful technique work...he is learning as he goes...I don't think he has played bad at all, he is in the backfield a few times a game...not bad for the snaps he is playing

He lacks flexibility, but his combine numbers were impressive and suggest acertain athleticism. His game tapes also verify his athletic ability. That said, I agree with others who say he is out of position at OLB. He seems best suited to DE, but he's been moved around a lot since he entered college. Maybe he can settle in and learn one position.

Edited by K-9

He has been up and down so far. I loved the pick still have great faith in him. He has terrific hands and I think his use of his hands will get him sack numbers. I agree he has been caught a few times on over pursuit inside but I tend to put that down more to missing camp time and just general confusion in the scheme. He is more of a DE body type at the moment and that is where I would ultimately like to see him used.

There was a lot of disagreement on Shaq Lawson the prospect. A few "scout" type guys that I follow of twitter, including Matt Waldman, who does a lot of nice video breakdowns, really disliked Shaq Lawson.

While he liked his overall power and stoutness against the run, he thought he was extremely slow, stiff, and many times the very last DL to react to the snap. He had some pictures of the entire Clemson DL already 1 or 2 steps out of their stance on the snap and Shaq would just be getting his hand out of the dirt. Also very slow, and no bend coming off the edge. Said you can find run stoppers in the 3rd and 4th round and really didn't understand the 1st round hype surrounding the guy. So far, I tend to agree with what his tape showed.