DeShone Kizer anyone?

It's funny, before the draft posters are split on pretty much all the QB prospects. After the draft, and after it's obvious another team has found a gem the board unifies into, "Why didn't we draft him!!??"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny, before the draft posters are split on pretty much all the QB prospects. After the draft, and after it's obvious another team has found a gem the board unifies into, "Why didn't we draft him!!??"

Yup... and like Dak coming to the Bills. Sad thing is he'd only be CJ on our team not starting.

I watched him all season. He is not an NFL talent.

A plug and play starter like Wenz or Prescott? No. An NFL talent? Of course he is. It's why he'll be a 1st Round draft pick. If Paxton Lynch was a 1st Round pick then Kizer sure as hell should be. Not sure what guy you watched my friend.

Interesting. Why have the Irish struggled this season? I don't watch them, but Kizer's numbers are solid. Is it defense?

Irish Defense sucked this year. Couldn't stop anyone. It was pathetic to watch. O was pretty good at times, but D was horrendous.

A plug and play starter like Wenz or Prescott? No. An NFL talent? Of course he is. It's why he'll be a 1st Round draft pick. If Paxton Lynch was a 1st Round pick then Kizer sure as hell should be. Not sure what guy you watched my friend.

College success does not translate in NFL success. Kinzer is good at this level. I do not think, at this point, he is going to be NFL starter.

Here were my notes when watching him in October.

- love his size

- like the arm

- like the throwing motion too actually (very little wasted energy)

- footwork a little inconsistent but nothing too concerning

- reasonable accuracy, but there is the occasional throw that is really inaccurate and that is worry when there is no obvious technical flaw

- like that he plays under centre some

- like his poise under pressure

- mobile but not someone who looks to run

- biggest concern is his ability to get through his progressions. Took sacks and threw a pick in the game when there are receivers wide open on the other side of the field that he just hasn't got to.

- tendency to lock on to targets

I have a 2nd round grade on him and I don't think he is a day 1 starter but he has some tools to be a productive NFL Quarterback someday. I think it is the mental side - both in terms of leadership and in terms of speed of processing what he sees (needs to get faster) will ultimately determine his success or otherwise.

I said it in the draft prospect thread, but I don't see how the team keeps him and Cardale on the same roster. We don't need 2 projects, and I do believe Kizer is a project, though maybe with a shorter timeline than Cardale.

why are we so afraid of this? Why is it that when you have a young QB people doesn't want to bring competition? The QB in question will have to step up or shut up, I couldn't care less of that guy's feelings.

This QB class is looking pretty poor. It figures that we would need QBs in some of the weakest QB classes.

With the spread offense continually being successful in the NCAA every QB class is going to be weak. It's why some in the NFL are trying to create a developmental league to help the process of developing QBs again.

Edited by The Jokeman

why are we so afraid of this? Why is it that when you have a young QB people doesn't want to bring competition? The QB in question will have to step up or shut up, I couldn't care less of that guy's feelings.

Who said anything about being afraid? It simply feels like a poor use of assets to spend a 4th and a 1st on a roster spot reserved for the 3rd string project in back to back years. Especially considering that most people thought Cardale was 2 years away from being ready last year. So even if Kizer is a 1 year project they are essentially on the same timeline at this point, but Cardale has a year in the organization already. My statement was more about opportunity cost than anything. If they feel good about their current project then that 1st could be a game changing weapon for him instead of his possible replacement.