CBS: Rex could be fired, TT benched Monday with loss

NoSaint

Eh, I'm not too worried about the optics of firing Rex in December or January. The stain of Ralph's cheapness has not followed the Pegulas. They are well-regarded throughout the league as solid owners who are willing to invest resources to support their front office and head coaches. Rex was given a TON of leeway to hire as many assistant coaches as he wanted, including personal relatives. Everything he asked for from a personnel standpoint, including his own hand-picked QB, was given to him. He was allowed to rid the roster of once-productive players who didn't buy into his system. Coaches who sparred with him were shown the door. Rex hung himself, and I'm fairly certain the entire league (and Rex) understands this.

The incoming coach will inherit a solid roster with a respected GM and ownership group. The Pegulas will not make money an issue - the incoming coach will be very well-paid. They'll have no trouble attracting candidates.

You know who is replacing Whaley already?

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a good place to post this article. Just another angle to consider...

Bills playoff drought shouldnt factor into Pegulas decisions

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/12/12/13918804/bills-rex-ryan-playoff-drought-shouldn-t-factor-into-pegulas-decisions

As I said in another thread, it's in everyone's interest, including Whaley's, to finish at 9-7. No one is safe if they collapse, but I think everyone will be safe if they finish at 9-7.

You should go to Pegasus and offer your resume.

I think based on your record that it will support opposite position but the Pegulas need to learn to not listen to media or fans, neither able to think objectively and determine what makes sense.

IMO I think it was the mistake was in interview process that the Pegulas did not further push Rex on what his plans were and whether he could use some of the staff already under contract to reduce impact of changes but that has always been my posted opinion that you do not want to throw away the baby with the bath water.

I was pissed they let Schwartz walk and he brought in all these ex-Jets coaches... but after further review when they hired Rex, they hired HIS defense/scheme. You couldn't expect Rex to keep Schwartz who runs a totally different defense.

As I said in another thread, it's in everyone's interest, including Whaley's, to finish at 9-7. No one is safe if they collapse, but I think everyone will be safe if they finish at 9-7.

I might be wrong but the sense I am getting reading between the lines of the leaks and counter leaks and denials is that Whaley is totally safe regardless. I think the Pegulas are very comfortable with him at the moment.

It would shock me at this point if Whaley is not with the Bills in 2017. Rex I think is 50/50.

I was pissed they let Schwartz walk and he brought in all these ex-Jets coaches... but after further review when they hired Rex, they hired HIS defense/scheme. You couldn't expect Rex to keep Schwartz who runs a totally different defense.

I prefer the Phillips model where the scheme changes depending on opponent and some cases who is healthy.

I agree with Peter King.

Whether you like Rex or not (I like Rex), firing him is NOT a good look and reinforces the notion that HC of the Bills is not a good job. If the Bills were to fire Rex, I would be surprised if we were able to hire a real top tier candidate unless they overpay the guy.

Which top tier guy wants to go to a job where the shelf life is two years even when the HC has been undercut by substandard QB play, numerous injuries, and suspensions.

Be careful what you wish for Rex Haters.

This is why I say if you fire Rex, it has to come with a Front Office purge. Pegs has a chance to say I gave it a shot as is when I purchased it and after a learning curve and 2 year evaluation; we need to reset our direction. That is a good sell and the correct thing to do IMO. If you just trash Rex and keep the rest, you are correct....You end up with Pettine and the Browns

This is why I say if you fire Rex, it has to come with a Front Office purge. Pegs has a chance to say I gave it a shot as is when I purchased it and after a learning curve and 2 year evaluation; we need to reset our direction. That is a good sell and the correct thing to do IMO. If you just trash Rex and keep the rest, you are correct....You end up with Pettine and the Browns

This is an interesting point.

I am not in favor of firing Rex, . . . but, if they decide to do so, any prospective candidates will view the job as an inferior job (not only for giving Rex only two years with a substandard QB, numerous injuries and suspensions)

but also because

Any worthwhile candidate will know that there is someone in the front office that does not have the head coach's back and threw the current guy under the bus.

I am not in favor of firing Rex, . . . but, if they decide to do so, any prospective candidates will view the job as an inferior job (not only for giving Rex only two years with a substandard QB, numerous injuries and suspensions)

but also because

Any worthwhile candidate will know that there is someone in the front office that does not have the head coach's back and threw the current guy under the bus.

Jeez bro, so you're saying we have to keep Rex because we're such a trainwreck of an organization, we can't find another girlfriend?

Jeez bro, so you're saying we have to keep Rex because we're such a trainwreck of an organization, we can't find another girlfriend?

No! Jeez yourself. I dont think anyone in this thread has said "We have to keep Rex", for any reason! YOU just keep jumping to that extreme conclusion whenever people discuss the grey area of the replacement search.

Rex should be fired. Outside people will perceive that as just another piece of our loser franchise puzzle. It will possibly deter some candidates from wanting to come here. But it is what it is.

I'm starting to wonder if he is even really getting fired. Why would we start TT in a meaningless game that could have serious cap repercussions for us next year if we were planning on moving on from them both?

The Gameday roster is supposed to be in Rex's control. Rex has one simple goal right now, win as much as possible.

Who would make the call to bench TT? How would that go down?

No! Jeez yourself. I dont think anyone in this thread has said "We have to keep Rex", for any reason! YOU just keep jumping to that extreme conclusion whenever people discuss the grey area of the replacement search.

Rex should be fired. Outside people will perceive that as just another piece of our loser franchise puzzle. It will possibly deter some candidates from wanting to come here. But it is what it is.

That's what this sounds like:

but also because

This sounds like "They shouldn't fire Rex because of X." IMO. You think Rex needs to go. It doesn't sound like Pete thinks so. He's decided to settle.

The Gameday roster is supposed to be in Rex's control. Rex has one simple goal right now, win as much as possible.

If I'm the GM and the coach who I know is about to be fired says "i'm going to risk a large portion of next year's cap in a meaningless game by starting this QB that may or may not have been on the team next year" I show some testicular fortitude and say no. If the coach pushes back I just fire him on the spot. Problem is we have a GM who is a glorified scout and I don't think he has any real power. If TT were really on the way out, if the coach were really on the way out then TT doesn't play anymore, simple. But this team is too worried about the perception of giving up on the season (this screams Russ Brandon) so I can't really get a read on our FO and why the heck they would allow this.

When a team is used to failure, they revert back to doing what they've always done at the end of a season: selling hope for the future. This FO WANTS to finish 9-7 even if it costs us draft position and we miss out on the playoffs because they want to spend the offseason saying "we had a winning record" "the Defense is close". Watch them keep Rex instead of pulling the plug on him because they want to announce another season ticket record. Between Rex admitting he panicked and started calling defensive plays himself that the team hadn't even practiced and our players arguing with coaches on the sideline, this team is officially coming apart. If they don't clean house fans should boycott the team next year. But we won't because we love football too much so we will likely remain mired in mediocrity.

Edited by ndirish1978

Exactly. The ownership or front office directing that would be throwing Rex under the bus and they are not going to do that. That is exactly why the LaConfora report was BS from the beginning. Not at all Pegula's style. They will evaluate after the season no matter what happens this week. Despite the mass hysteria around the fan base this week, Rex will get the season and if I had to bet, at least one more.

The only person guaranteed to leave the organization is the person feeding LaConfora the supposed inside scoop, if Terry finds out who it is.

Good addition to Peter's post !

If I'm the GM and the coach who I know is about to be fired says "i'm going to risk a large portion of next year's cap in a meaningless game by starting this QB that may or may not have been on the team next year" I show some testicular fortitude and say no. If the coach pushes back I just fire him on the spot. Problem is we have a GM who is a glorified scout and I don't think he has any real power. If TT were really on the way out, if the coach were really on the way out then TT doesn't play anymore, simple. But this team is too worried about the perception of giving up on the season (this screams Russ Brandon) so I can't really get a read on our FO and why the heck they would allow this.

When a team is used to failure, they revert back to doing what they've always done at the end of a season: selling hope for the future. This FO WANTS to finish 9-7 even if it costs us draft position and we miss out on the playoffs because they want to spend the offseason saying "we had a winning record" "the Defense is close". Watch them keep Rex instead of pulling the plug on him because they want to announce another season ticket record. Between Rex admitting he panicked and started calling defensive plays himself that the team hadn't even practiced and our players arguing with coaches on the sideline, this team is officially coming apart. If they don't clean house fans should boycott the team next year. But we won't because we love football too much so we will likely remain mired in mediocrity.

But this is the Bills, and the GM doesnt know what the coach's status is. He might guess. But he doesnt know.

And given that, in this Bills organization, the GM and HC are equals it doesnt matter how big the balls you throw on the coach's desk are. He doesnt have to, and shouldnt, listen to you. There is literally nothing the GM can do except get into a huge fight with the HC.

The order would have to come down from the owners. And they might as well fire Rex on the spot then. Because that call neuters the entire team.

Exactly. The ownership or front office directing that would be throwing Rex under the bus and they are not going to do that. That is exactly why the LaConfora report was BS from the beginning. Not at all Pegula's style. They will evaluate after the season no matter what happens this week. Despite the mass hysteria around the fan base this week, Rex will get the season and if I had to bet, at least one more.

The only person guaranteed to leave the organization is the person feeding LaConfora the supposed inside scoop, if Terry finds out who it is.

I sure as heck hope he does too.