Leger Douzable petitions Cuomo to get Uber in Buffalo

YoloinOhio

It is ridiculous the Taxi Lobby can keep Uber out of NYS. It's great down here in FL.

I wonder if someone in a few years does a study to see if it reduced DUI's in those states. If you really want Uber in NY, get MADD and SADD, on your side as they have a powerful lobby and no Senator wants to piss them off.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I struggle to think of a more cogent example of bad liberal protectionist politics coming at the expense of economic efficiency, quality-of-life improvement, and consumer choice. Taxi cab unions/trade associations buying politicians in Albany to protect their feeble, declining, overpriced and under-serving industry.

I struggle to think of a more cogent example of bad liberal protectionist politics coming at the expense of economic efficiency, quality-of-life improvement, and consumer choice. Taxi cab unions/trade associations buying politicians in Albany to protect their feeble, declining, overpriced and under-serving industry.

Especially when there is only one real state left (sorry Alaska and Wyoming) who doesnt allow it. Newspapers may be the only thing more dated and out of touch than the taxi cab at this point.

i recognize the problem lies in Albany. Why does NYC have it? Are they not considered part of the state? I guess I answered my own question :/

NYC taxis are governed by the City's Taxi & Limo Commission and don't have to answer to the State. Uber got in early and beat back opposition with aggressive social media attacks which worked in a densely populated area where much less people own cars. The rest of NY is too widespread and many more own cars for effective lobbying to work on behalf of a service that not as many will use.

To me, it's obscene to have last call at 4AM but also not allow Uber to operate.

Buffalo politicians remain out of touch with the rest of the world. It's sad.

this has absolutely zero to do with Buffalo legislation.

NY as a whole is out of touch. a very very hindered state that portrays itself as being progressive and adaptive to the times. when you actually leave Buffalo, it's easy to see how ass backwards the state really is. sadly, it is home.

Edited by 87168

Just the fact that there is already Uber and Lyft means there's more competition than taxi's used to have. Now, the variation in pricing is an issue. I was in Nashville a few weeks ago and Uber cost me $8 to get into town. Parking was $12 for the first hour, so a no-brainer. The next time was peak time, which was more like $23 into town. Yikes! They warn you, but I think cabs have an advantage in that respect.

the flip side is that at least here in new orleans, during those peak times it was sometimes incredibly hard to even get a cab. you would call and the phone would just ring and ring or you get a busy. id gladly pay an extra $10-15 to actually get picked up in a timely manner some days. I mean, if im at a bar having a beer or two with nowhere to be, ill just grab another drink and go the slow route but when you need to get somewhere....

But let's also be realistic. Once taxis go away, Ubers or Lyfts are going to skyrocket in price. At least they will be convenient.

the platform lends itself to competition. even if taxis disappear as long as you have both uber and lyft there is incentive for them to price well. ive seen the competition level bump up a lot when the second ride share service comes to a few different cities. suddenly instead of just being better than the junk taxi service they need to be better than a real peer (more discounts offered, specials/coupons, etc...) it dilutes a little bit as they are competing for drivers though and ive noticed the quality of car/driver is a little more inconsistent which i assume is trying to make sure they have enough volume.

State of Pennsylvania fought it for a while and they lost. They even tried to fine Uber and Lyft like millions of dollars-- it was a complete joke. Now Uber rules the state; they are even using Pittsburgh to pilot the self-driving Uber cars.

One upshot I have seen is that our taxi companies have adapted. They have new vehicles and are trying things like having an app and being on social media.

the self driving car developments are so cool when you think about the potential

There's a very nice shopping /dining center about 1.5 miles from us, but it's across a major highway so it's not a friendly walk. I get where you're coming from. For a few dollars, you can be risk free. We have a son who went off the tracks for a while, but is now my hero. His 2 DUI's cost tens of thousands of dollars (each). He now helps people who were in the bad place he was, but we learned how horrible and expensive a moment of poor judgement can be. Uber takes all that out of the equation. Great stuff!

Good stuff Augie. Glad to hear about your son!

the driverless vehicle is going to be amazing. the big thing would be no more long haul truck drivers. right now those guys only drive for 12 hours max then sleep but with driverless they could go straight through. shipping times become so short but you are left with a big population of workers who have no job. i honestly don't think i;ll have to teach my son how to drive.

Self-driving cars ultimately will replace manual cars and will eliminate car ownership. Why own a depreciating asset and pay for parking and insurance when you can just flag one down when you need it? Maybe you want to reserve a regular self-driving commuter vehicle during the week, and reserve a self-driving Ferrari for special occasions (like a high school reunion). Self-driving vehicles will eliminate car accidents, the number one killer of America's teenagers.

Go ahead Albany, see how long you can hold out against progress.

i recognize the problem lies in Albany. Why does NYC have it? Are they not considered part of the state? I guess I answered my own question :/

I use Uber and Carmel when I am up in New York area. Outside of the city (Long Island, etc...). I am not sure it's a state thing but rather a regional restriction.

NYC taxis are governed by the City's Taxi & Limo Commission and don't have to answer to the State. Uber got in early and beat back opposition with aggressive social media attacks which worked in a densely populated area where much less people own cars. The rest of NY is too widespread and many more own cars for effective lobbying to work on behalf of a service that not as many will use.

To me, it's obscene to have last call at 4AM but also not allow Uber to operate.

This is the part I don't get--there are over 13,000taxis/medallions in NYC and Uber was able to prevail against the goofy Mayor and city government, yet there are, what maybe 50 cabs in Rochester? Less than 100 in Buffalo--most owner operated....and this tiny rag-tag group is what is keeping Uber out of the rest of the state??

Edited by Mr. WEO

I use Uber and Carmel when I am up in New York area. Outside of the city (Long Island, etc...). I am not sure it's a state thing but rather a regional restriction.

Uber in Downstate operates as a livery service (in order to comply with NYC and State law). This makes downstate's Uber price higher, than Uber in other areas of the country.

Edited by MashinDC