Darby may lose job to White

MAJBobby

no, there wasn't. And he wasn't technically "fired". His contract was up and he wasn't extended. Could have been his choice, who knows. Just strange that 11 teams hired DB coaches last offseason and he got one interview (Colts). He has college coaching experience too and nada. Even Karl Dunbar got hired elsewhere. Something off there, wouldn't assume blame to one side when we have no info.

It was a weird situation. He split responsibilities with McDonald in 2015. I wasn't told exactly how they were split but they both had the same level of authority - https://twitter.com/chellegz/status/686919033678118912

Donnie might be out of work by choice, particularly if he found that job share stressful. This is just the second time he's been out of work since he started in 1983, dude might just want a break :)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darby played well last year but something is wrong there. Undisclosed nagging injury? Trouble at home maybe? But from what I see the Bills problem is simply that most of their DB's lack good coverage skills. Can you teach a guy to turn and look for the ball when its coming? Watch the receivers eyes for a clue. Or fall for an out or in fake then get burned deep? Or leave such big holes in the zone that receivers are standing alone with no defender within 10 yards? Learn and apply what the ref's will call for holding and illegal contract and what they won't call? Sorry, but you don't need some super-duper coach to figure this stuff out.

Darby feeds off Gilmore. He really looks up to him. With Gilmore phoning it in this year doing whatever he can to not get injured, that's rubbing off on Darby. I'd bench Gilmore before Darby knowing that Gilmore won't be back.

Or the sooner we realize the Bills actually have great CB depth and its coaching and scheme that's making them appear bad, the better.

Corey White is not going to solve anything. just another name to get mad at when he gets beat.

The secondary in general has regressed without Donnie Henderson. They were playing good football under him despite a scheme that isn't easy on a DB. Darby has regressed, Gilmore hasn't been the same player and whoever plays Aaron Williams spot (mostly Blanton) has been an abomination.

Butbutbut....Ed Reed.

I was typing the same thing. Gilmore has been steadier but his lack of effort and physicality is disgusting. He should have been the one benched, he isn't going to be here next year let Darby take his lumps. Are they still pretending that we are going to win something?

I don't think they should bench either of them, to be honest. You need to play your best players. Just saying that if one of them had to be, it should be Gilmore. The real problem in the secondary is the atrocious play of the safeties. They are constantly out of position. Not sure if that's a coaching issue to go along with the lack of talent back there, but I'm sure that's part of it.

Darby is a gamer. He's not been nearly as lost as Gilmore out there. I can envision a scenario where player-friendly Rex sees this but would rather let Gilmore play so he can get his big contract, team be damned.

Chris Brown on WGR right now is saying that White could put Darby on the Bench.

I think it is clear to say Darby has regressed.

Donnie Henderson being fired is really hurting Darby's growth I think.

why was Henderson fired? Both CB's have regressed big time.

How is Darby being benched before Gilmore? They've both given up big plays (still think Gilmore has given up more) but you still see the hustle and compete from Darby.

If this is true, which I don't think it is, Rex is an even bigger idiot than I thought.

very good points here. Darby at least has the effort. Gilmore (Gillless) quits on plays.

I don't think they should bench either of them, to be honest. You need to play your best players. Just saying that if one of them had to be, it should be Gilmore. The real problem in the secondary is the atrocious play of the safeties. They are constantly out of position. Not sure if that's a coaching issue to go along with the lack of talent back there, but I'm sure that's part of it.

Darby is a gamer. He's not been nearly as lost as Gilmore out there. I can envision a scenario where player-friendly Rex sees this but would rather let Gilmore play so he can get his big contract, team be damned.

I don't get why the Bills would let Gilmore continue to play if they bench someone. He is putting himself ahead of the team. Bench him.

Lol.

Gilmore is this years Mario I see.

Run him out of town!

Gilmore did blatantly quit after getting burned on a TD. The Bills have more sacks this year than with the malcontent Mario from last year.

Looks bad for Whaley as well, not too much to show for the 3 drafts he's been in charge of, just a lot of unrealized potential.

I would disagree. Darby is fine in a defense that has an actual coach, not the Rex Bro's Circus. Lawson has looked good in the 2 games he has played. Grabbing Zach Brown and NFL Sack Leader Alexander were great moves.

This is 100% on Rex and Co.

no, there wasn't. And he wasn't technically "fired". His contract was up and he wasn't extended. Could have been his choice, who knows. Just strange that 11 teams hired DB coaches last offseason and he got one interview (Colts). He has college coaching experience too and nada. Even Karl Dunbar got hired elsewhere. Something off there, wouldn't assume blame to one side when we have no info.

Absolutely agree, and certainly wasn't "assuming", just by the tenor of the first few responses it seemed like people were saying he was "fired", hence my question. Thank you for taking the time to answer it....and yes it does seem strange, but maybe his heart wasn't in it anymore? But yes, agreed there seems to be more to the story without presuming it's all on the BILLS or all on Henderson's side.

Looks bad for Whaley as well, not too much to show for the 3 drafts he's been in charge of, just a lot of unrealized potential.

Huh? 3 Drafts have been solid thus far, not outstanding but generally pretty good. Preston Brown, John Miller, Sammy (which cost too much and he can't stay healthy), Darby (who had a stellar Rookie year, so he has the capability which goes to the coaching discussion), Shaq, and can't fault him for Reggie's injury in Training Camp, but he had a 1st round value yet got him in the 2nd round, are all pretty good candidates....not to mention trading for Hughes, finding Zack Brown and Lorax amidst the NFL debris to be quite good, bringing Tyrod in via FA and while I'm not a fan of Tyrod for the long-term and I've said as much all too often, he is certainly better than this team has had in quite some time, then trading for Shady who cost money, but not at the expense of talent, plus some other really saavy and insight moves. The only true issue I feel like is legitimate with Whaley is the QB situation....the most important position, but let's remember where this roster was before Nix took the reigns and even when Whaley took over, the BILLS were *just* beginning to build an NFL caliber roster....long ways in a short time.

How is Darby being benched before Gilmore? They've both given up big plays (still think Gilmore has given up more) but you still see the hustle and compete from Darby.

If this is true, which I don't think it is, Rex is an even bigger idiot than I thought.

I promise you Darby has been worse.

Absolutely agree, and certainly wasn't "assuming", just by the tenor of the first few responses it seemed like people were saying he was "fired", hence my question. Thank you for taking the time to answer it....and yes it does seem strange, but maybe his heart wasn't in it anymore? But yes, agreed there seems to be more to the story without presuming it's all on the BILLS or all on Henderson's side.

i knew you were just asking but a lot of others assuming he was just fired for no reason and blaming Rex, that's why I said that. :thumbsup:

Not worth your time. It's the Bills equivalent of banging your head into a brick wall.

Been telling them all season. Maybe now they'll actually believe me :D

You shouldn't have to keep telling people this...if folks are making the effort to study the all-22 (which IMO is a necessity if you're going to evaluate CB play), then they'd already know.

You shouldn't have to keep telling people this...if folks are making the effort to study the all-22 (which IMO is a necessity if you're going to evaluate CB play), then they'd already know.

I readily accept that I put far too much time into this stuff and that I'm afforded the time to watch it whereas others aren't. I try not to sound snobbish when talking about All-22 but it's such an important factor for the secondary that it's hard not to come across as a dick.

I don't think Darby has been bad enough to be worthy of being benched. In fact, I agree with others that if there's a benching due for anyone, it's Gilmore. Purely on what have been obviously low levels of effort and intent.

I promise you Darby has been worse.

What makes you say that? Like many others here (you included, I assume), I watch every snap of every game. And I've seen Darby get beat by perfect throws and catches for the most part. Sure he's had his hiccups, but nothing like Gilmore, who has seemed to have lost whatever ball skills he had in the past. He's been bad at tackling and taken some costly penalties.

Edited by QB Bills

Darby wasn't playing well, and hasn't really excelled all season. If White is playing well in practice, saying and doing the right things, then he has earned the right to play. It isn't a end all be all for either player. Darby can still play as many snaps as they want - can earn his job back - can still be a good football player. White can still get burned and lose his job as well.

I can somehow still get on Dareus' case about Darby not performing well.

Hear me out though lol.

It's only an assumption but can also be a probability that, the young players entering the NFL or in the baby years of their NFL career pick things up from the veterans on the team.

Who better than Kyle Williams right? Yeah i feel that too but as far as culture and type of music they listen to and little stuff like that, i think Dareus plays a big brother role to some of these youngsters (Darby included).

It's very easy to look at Dareus not taking the NFL serious (and still getting paid) and have it rub off on other players.

Before you Lynch me, I'm not saying it IS Dareus playing a factor im just saying that it can be one of 1000 different little things that can make a player regress.

If he did good in this system last year, he should do good in this system this year. So it's not the playbook. It CAN be coaching though. It can be veteran leadership, it can be problems at home (like someone else suggested). Many things.

I'm ok with him and White battling it out for a job but i also am kind of upset that Gilmore wasn't brought into the competition also cuz we all pretty much know, Gilmores been terrible.