Darby may lose job to White

MAJBobby

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I readily accept that I put far too much time into this stuff and that I'm afforded the time to watch it whereas others aren't. I try not to sound snobbish when talking about All-22 but it's such an important factor for the secondary that it's hard not to come across as a dick.

I don't think Darby has been bad enough to be worthy of being benched. In fact, I agree with others that if there's a benching due for anyone, it's Gilmore. Purely on what have been obviously low levels of effort and intent.

True--I think the part that many folks are missing is the bold statement.

It's really hard to know who's doing what without looking at all-22.

And even then its hard to know what people were supposed to be doing

I was just going to add this. It's a mistake most fans make during games. We scream about players but don't know their assignments.

When coaches grade films, it is probably totally different than a guy like Joe B because of knowing their assignments in each play.

And even then its hard to know what people were supposed to be doing

I was just going to add this. It's a mistake most fans make during games. We scream about players but don't know their assignments.

When coaches grade films, it is probably totally different than a guy like Joe B because of knowing their assignments in each play.

You're not kidding. I never come out of it 100% certain on every play call or coverage. I'd like to think I know my stuff but I know I have limitations too.

Indeed--it helps if you've dug into Rex's playbook (still not sure how that got out :lol: ), but it's still tough to know for sure.

You're not kidding. I never come out of it 100% certain on every play call or coverage. I'd like to think I know my stuff but I know I have limitations too.

That's why the communication issues are so big. It seems like we can show a cover 3 but they are masking another coverage.

This is also really important in judging oline men.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

That's why the communication issues are so big. It seems like we can show a cover 3 but they are masking another coverage.

This is also really important in judging oline men.

I feel more comfortable with watching OL, even with a diverse scheme like ours. I don't quite speak OL as well as I'd like (seems like half a dozen guys call the same block something different) but I find it easier than coverages.

I'll never be 100% sure on anything as a fan or an observer. That's just a matter of fact and why nobody should ever take my word as gospel :)

It really exposes the weakness of Ryan's scheme: if you don't have a Revis to take away one side of the field, there is no way CBs can prevent getting burned throughout a game. This is why most play a Schwartz-type D, make them have to drive the length of the field, then hold them to 3 points in the RZ. The clowns are blaming Whaley of course...

It's amazing how something that was a strength last year, CB play, has become such a weakness this year. EVEN with a better pass rush these guys are not getting it done. Gilmore looks like a shell of his former self, which he was only a solid football player to begin with, and Darby is auditioning for a kids cartoon as Captain Toast. The only question left to be asked is who is missing?

Rex said after the Seattle game that Gilmore played very well. Darby was benched during the game so that says what he thought of his play. Don't know why he would replace Gilmore over Darby now.

Rex needs to stop watching tape and start listening to the experts here to find out who the current whipping boy should be. Duh.

Maybe people are going to finally understand Gilmore is better than Darby.

And he always has been.

Edited by MDH

This very well could be Rex pushing (or trying too) push Darby's buttons. One thing we do know about Rex is he does know how to push buttons on a player to either have them turn it around or go the other way

Rex needs to stop watching tape and start listening to the experts here to find out who the current shipping boy should be. Duh.

And he always has been.

Yes he has there has always been this Maybe small but very vocal group against Gilmore since the day he was drafted and didn't smile.

I think the CB/DB play is where it will be decided if Whaley and Rex go down as a tandem or if a rift develops.

Rex's ridiculous multi-year failure of a defense is simply not a fit for today's NFL. This stuff if just a new way of demonstrating it, If we have our 2 corners cover 5 receivers then we can stop the run and get a lot of sacks. The whole defense is a running joke and it has been for 6-7 years now.

Whaley has to decide on Gilmore as it is. He is probably gone because if Whaley still sees talent, other GMs will too and he will be paid more than we can afford. If not, then there is no need to keep him. Now Darby is being demoted and we are in the position of needing to draft 90% defense again this year...just like last year....and most of Rex's tenure with the Jets.

If Whaley capitulates and drafts all D again, 2017 will be a different set of defensive scapegoats/excuses and they will go out together. If Whaley pushes back and tries to improve the O with some line help, possibly a running back and WR...maybe even QB, then Rex grouses and one of them may hang on. Rex staying and Whaley going is the worst case scenario. We get continuity of the worst sort. This time next year we'll be wondering why Alexander and Z. Brown suck so much when they were "so good" in 2016. There will be excuses flying for Ragland about his knee, but there is a reason he slipped in the draft. He is a self described "throwback" whose game unfortunately only matches Rex's failed style of defense.

Rex has done an ok job this year of mixing up his defense from game to game but within games the record is woeful. Miami, NE, NYJ, and SEA all found the sweet spot and exploited it the entire game with no counter moves at all. That is pathetic coaching that makes players look bad.

Darby is getting beat too easily right off the line in many instances. He looks like he really lacks confidence.

and safety help....ever.

The second half of the season lives or dies based on the play of the secondary. If they come to play, good things will happen.

If not, be prepared to hang out at the airport and develop surprisingly sharp skills tracking aircraft on the internet.