OK, let's do this: Tyrod Taylor

We realize that Brees was in year 3 in a much less passer friendly era than Taylor......who is in year 6.

These are apple/orange comparisons.........Brees couldn't survive in the NFL playing Taylor's game and Taylor has nowhere near the field vision/understanding and mechanics of Brees.

If the point is that he could improve........yes he could.

He also could not improve and even regress.

The fans that continue saying year 6 simply don't understand that it takes actual field playing experience to develop a QB properly. Four years on the bench means he might have mastered the film room and meetings.

The point here is that even Drew Brees wasn't always so pin point accurate and he did make a ton of mental mistakes early on...things changed!! Then, Bills fans want to forget that Tyrod was a 6th round draft pick which usually means so much more developmental time involved than say a second round pick, which Drew Brees was.

Consider, that many NFL people think EJ Manual is a massive bust for a #1 pick! To the Bills fans, that think Cardale Jones is the long term future...

Cardale Jones just threw a pass so far off target it knocked the phone out of the hand of a reporter 40 feet behind the sideline.

- Sal Maiorana (@salmaiorana) August 1, 2016

We are losing to even the bad teams. Jets and Dolphins games ring any bells?

The Bills didn't lose to either the Dolphins or the NY Jets because of Tyrod Taylor!! The Bills offense scored 31 points against Miami and 25 against the Jets.

However, the Bills defense was the problem in those two games as they allowed that 3-7 Jets team to pass (Fitz)for 374 yards and rush for another 123 while giving up 3 rushing TD's! The Dolphins managed to dominate both sides of the lines while having a single rusher gain 204 yards on the ground. The Phins finished the day with 256 yards rushing and two rushing TD's.

The 2016 Buffalo Bills 5 losses aren't on Tyrod Taylors shoulders at all in my view. When the team is able to run the ball effectively and the defense plays decently the team usually wins the game. The Bills offense even put up 25 points on the Seattle Seahawks defense this year and only one other team has managed to do that all year.

I'd say there are a few teams out there that would love to have Tayor at QB and will pay him. Rams, 49ers, Bears, Browns and Jets all come to mind.

Still, six more games to play so let's see where he is after the team gets Watkins, Woods back in the lineup.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fans that continue saying year 6 simply don't understand that it takes actual field playing experience to develop a QB properly. Four years on the bench means he might have mastered the film room and meetings.

The point here is that even Drew Brees wasn't always so pin point accurate and he did make a ton of mental mistakes early on...things changed!! Then, Bills fans want to forget that Tyrod was a 6th round draft pick which usually means so much more developmental time involved than say a second round pick, which Drew Brees was.

Consider, that many NFL people think EJ Manual is a massive bust for a #1 pick! To the Bills fans, that think Cardale Jones is the long term future...

Cardale Jones just threw a pass so far off target it knocked the phone out of the hand of a reporter 40 feet behind the sideline.

- Sal Maiorana (@salmaiorana) August 1, 2016

The Bills didn't lose to either the Dolphins or the NY Jets because of Tyrod Taylor!! The Bills offense scored 31 points against Miami and 25 against the Jets.

However, the Bills defense was the problem in those two games as they allowed that 3-7 Jets team to pass (Fitz)for 374 yards and rush for another 123 while giving up 3 rushing TD's! The Dolphins managed to dominate both sides of the lines while having a single rusher gain 204 yards on the ground. The Phins finished the day with 256 yards rushing and two rushing TD's.

The 2016 Buffalo Bills 5 losses aren't on Tyrod Taylors shoulders at all in my view. When the team is able to run the ball effectively and the defense plays decently the team usually wins the game. The Bills offense even put up 25 points on the Seattle Seahawks defense this year and only one other team has managed to do that all year.

I'd say there are a few teams out there that would love to have Tayor at QB and will pay him. Rams, 49ers, Bears, Browns and Jets all come to mind.

Still, six more games to play so let's see where he is after the team gets Watkins, Woods back in the lineup.

Let them pay him then. He has more than enough games under his belt to make that decision. Right now it is it is not worth the option. 6 more games to change my mind though Tyrod. That is up to you.

Not this again. 2.61 drop% one of the lowest in the NFL. Keep trying though

We also throw the fewest passes in the NFL right?

The throws that are dropped seem to be awefuly key......like the one to the TE that should have been a touchdown?

Let them pay him then. He has more than enough games under his belt to make that decision. Right now it is it is not worth the option. 6 more games to change my mind though Tyrod. That is up to you.

I am sure he is up late at night worrying about whether he changes your mind lol

The Rams wouldn't pay for him.

Still, is your point that the dregs of the NFL have worse quarterbacking than the Bills?

Nothing about his play this year surprises me

He needed to improve upon his anticipation, pocket usage, and field vision...he hasn't.

He's limited; he's also capable of producing big plays.

The bottom line is that he's the QB here until they get someone better, which probably won't happen next offseason.

That said, he's probably about the 18th-25th best QB in the league.

Same as last year.

Nothing about his play this year surprises me

He needed to improve upon his anticipation, pocket usage, and field vision...he hasn't.

He's limited; he's also capable of producing big plays.

The bottom line is that he's the QB here until they get someone better, which probably won't happen next offseason.

That said, he's probably about the 18th-25th best QB in the league.

Same as last year.

I realize he is not a top 10 guy....but I have a hard time actually putting a number on his when he doesnt have anyone to throw to.......

I want to see what he does with the players on the field he was actually supposed to be playing with

We also throw the fewest passes in the NFL right?

The throws that are dropped seem to be awefuly key......like the one to the TE that should have been a touchdown?

I am sure he is up late at night worrying about whether he changes your mind lol

% takes that away that is why I am talking % of TGTs not number of drops. Ooo and for the record that was not a drop was not logged a drop by Clay but ok.

You cannot keep trying to spin a falsehood. On the drops being a reason Taylor is well looking bad most games. Well I guess you can. It just would not be accurate

Edited by MAJBobby

% takes that away that is why I am talking % of TGTs not number of drops. Ooo and for the record that was not a drop was not logged a drop by Clay but ok.

No kidding. The ball was thrown high and as hard as TT could from 5 yards away because he was trying to fit it into triple coverage. Put it in his gut or low and I'd blame Clay for the drop. You put it high into triple coverage and you're asking for an INT or a concussion. It was - yet another - bad throw.

No kidding. The ball was thrown high and as hard as TT could from 5 yards away because he was trying to fit it into triple coverage. Put it in his gut or low and I'd blame Clay for the drop. You put it high into triple coverage and you're asking for an INT or a concussion. It was - yet another - bad throw.

I am guessing it was logged as a bad pass on sporting charts because he is back in the league lead with just under 21% of his attempts logged as bad passes

Another thing that gets me so upset with Tyrod is they are the same mistakes over and over again.

As my coaches have always said mistakes are Ok, watch them on film learn from them and don't repeat them.

Seems like just about every week people saying the same thing, missed open WRs, looks to run to early, doesn't step into throws, doesn't throw middle of field past 10 yards.

Then one week you see Wow what a great game from Tyrod think maybe this is it and back to 3 or 4 weeks of the same mistakes.

Maybe I am being too hard on Tyrod and David Lee likely deserves some of the blame here too, but that heat was brought on by a deal that didn't need to happen

Edited by MAJBobby

The Rams wouldn't pay for him.

Still, is your point that the dregs of the NFL have worse quarterbacking than the Bills?

I think they would. The Rams are attempting to build that same power run game that the Bills, Cowboys, and other teams are going with and Tyrod would be a great fit until that first round pick develops..if ever.

Tyrod isn't losing this team games and he isn't at that point where he can overcome when another part of the team plays poorly. Hey, I'd love it if this team had a Derek Carr. It's just that this teams scouting dept drafts guys like EJ and Jones.

Bad drop by Clay or is this a bad Taylor decision to go to him? I

Drop.

Powell was going to be open as his man was going to be trailing by a lot........ but that's the tougher throw and Powell is the lesser player.

There is a lot to be desired in the field vision and anticipation in Tyrod's game.....this is not a particularly extraordinary example. Clay was open for 6 and it was a short throw.

Okay.... so I have been through the all 22 now. It is ugly for Taylor, although not quite as ugly as I maybe anticipated. He was bad on some key situations - the ones Kirby talks about, 3rd down, redzone etc...

Is lack of quality at receiver hurting? Yes, it is a bit.... but that makes it even more important that when these guys do run good routes and beat their guys the QB has to take advantage. Let's get to it...

I'm not going to talk about the missed opportunities to Woods on the first pass play called or the opportunity to Clay later in that drive - they have already been demonstrated at some depth so I start after that:

1st Qrtr - 1:16 - Protection holds long enough for 84 Nick O'Leary to get separation down the seam for an easy 1st down and possible TD chance. Tyrod does not show patience and with his protection still holding up bails a clean pocket to the left and runs into a sack.

1st Qrtr - 0:32 - I've included this because this was one of the plays where I thought he had bailed the pocket unnecessarily early. He didn't. Nobody was open he saw a rushing lane and took it for a short gain - good decision.

2nd Qrtr - 9:53 - 3rd and goal from the 3 after the Gilmore pick. Hunter beats his man inside off the line for the slant for an easy TD. Tyrod does not see it, hesitates, scrambles in for a TD which is negated by a hold. If he throws the slant when it is there I suspect Richie is not called for holding.

2nd Qrtr - 2:05 - I include this because this is what he does well, escapes pressure when his line for once doesn't hold and fires to Tate who makes a great low catch for a 1st down.

2nd Qrtr - 1:51 - Slot receiver to the left (not sure who it is) gets inside leverage on the nickel corner and has a big window in the middle of the field between the nickel and the single deep safety for Tyrod to fit the ball in for an easy 1st down with YAC possibility. TT in a pocket that holds loses patience and takes a quick 3 yard checkdown to Reggie Bush.

2nd Qrtr - 1:27 - Tyrod bails out of the pocket when all he needed to do was step up into the pocket and the extra second he would have bought would allow him to hit Hunter who has the corner beat down the left sideline. Even once Tyrod scrambles out of the pocket if he keeps his eyes down the field Hunter is wide open. Does not see him goes out of bounds just before the 1st down marker.

2nd Qrtr - the INT - Poor decision and poor execution by Tyrod - there was actually a chance with his legs he picks up a first down - he seems to have the angle on the defense. In his defense however, Goodwin gets no separation and nor do the other receivers - bad offensive play all round.

3rd Qrtr - 11:15 - Tyrod stares down Tate (I think?). Waits until he has his man beat, steps up in the pocket as if to throw and then inexplicably aborts the throw steps back and then plays playground football. At least he scrambles the 5 yards needed to get into DC's FG range and set up the long 3points to put us ahead. Reasonable outcome but opportunity for a big play missed.

3rd Qrtr - 6:42 - Tyrod shows his best pocket awareness of the day, shuffles sideways in the pocket, then steps up, sees Clay running a deep corner and....... misses him with an overthrow under no real pressure. A play he needs to make but at least he saw the route.

3rd Qrtr - 1:58 - Tyrod does a nice job staying in the pocket, stays patient, Tate stays patient too and sits down in a shallow zone, Tyrod finds him defense over pursues and Tate escapes for 34 yards of YAC.

4th Qrtr - 15:00 - Receiver to the right of the formation (think it is Hunter) runs a really nice route, faking the in and then spinning out to the corner route, totally beating the corner and is all alone for what would be an easy TD. Tyrod however stares down Harvin on a shallow crosser the whole way and throws him a ball that Harvin does well to hold as he is nailed from behind. Set up the 4th down that was converted.

4th Qrtr - 12:16 - The goal line play. The Bills run a perfectly executed rub play, both defenders bite on Clay, Tate is all alone for an easy TD running to the corner of the endzone and Tyrod instead stares down Clay and throws into traffic. Clay is hit hard from behind and can't secure the catch. Your Quarterback HAS to read the defender there... as soon as he bites on the inside route to Clay he HAS to know Tate must be all alone. This HAS to be 6. Tyrod's worst play of the day.

4th Qrtr - 12:11 - The second goal line throw where the defender bats down the pass intended for Gillislee. At first glance I thought Tyrod was just very late on the throw. Watching back, Gillislee is also very slow getting his head round which forces Tyrod to hold on a split second longer and allows the defender to break on the ball. On them both, but more MG.

4th Qrtr - 6:05 - Tyrod again needlessly bails out to the left from a clean pocket. Hunter realising his QB is in trouble cuts off his route and starts running horizontally to the line of scrimmage right at the first down marker, if Tyrod keeps his eyes downfield this is an easy completion for a crucial 1st down. He doesn't, and he is sacked for a loss of 3 as he fails to outrun the linebacker.

Edited by GunnerBill

When a guy on the company payroll like Chris Brown starts making fun of you, you know it's bad.

Bills up 4 spots in NFL.com power rankings

"Tyrod Taylor has to make that third-and-5 completion to Percy Harvin on the final Bills drive. Jeff Tuel could have made that throw. EJ Manuel could have made that throw. Joe Ferguson could have made that throw. Joe Ferguson — right now, at age 66 — could have made that throw."

Drop.

Powell was going to be open as his man was going to be trailing by a lot........ but that's the tougher throw and Powell is the lesser player.

There is a lot to be desired in the field vision and anticipation in Tyrod's game.....this is not a particularly extraordinary example. Clay was open for 6 and it was a short throw.

To bad it wasn't logged as a drop

To bad it wasn't logged as a drop

I'm with ya' that they need a franchise QB.......getting one should always be the top priority of the organization........but if you think these same opportunities are there for every other QB and Tyrod is just missing them you are wrong.

I'm with ya' that they need a franchise QB.......getting one should always be the top priority of the organization........but if you think these same opportunities are there for every other QB and Tyrod is just missing them you are wrong.

Name me 3 starting QBs that miss the amount of open WRs Tyrod has missed, not talking inaccurate pass talking guy wide open Tyrod fails to see him. (A lot of times because he is flushed for no reason).

Name me 3 starting QBs that miss the amount of open WRs Tyrod has missed, not talking inaccurate pass talking guy wide open Tyrod fails to see him. (A lot of times because he is flushed for no reason).

I don't think you get it. Badol is saying most other QBs don't get as many wide open WR's as Taylor.

Edited by jmc12290

I don't think you get it. Badol is saying most other QBs don't get as many wide open WR's as Taylor.

I get what he is saying I am just trying to find out when QBs get WRs running college open are there three other QBs out there that miss them as much as Tyrod does

As I said......totally get your point. He misses a ton of opportunities that would be simple pitch-and-catch plays for a good passer.

But that's why he was a cheap acquisition and if he had advanced he'd be a very difficult re-sign so I get the contract they gave him.

I can't understate how many of these opps are there because of his skill though.

He is in a class by himself in terms of elusiveness at the position......teams routinely employ spies to mirror him and when he decides to run he disposes of those guys with ease. That is not normal.

As I've said.........give him some big, easy to find and trustworthy targets that can make plays after the catch and despite the fact that he's not a good passer the Bills would be basketball on grass.

Sounds like an equation that would work with any QB.......but with pocket passers things tend to get out of balance and the run game suffers as they cater their OL toward pass blocking.

Don't have to do that with Tyrod......even with run first blockers he negates pass rush.

As I said......totally get your point. He misses a ton of opportunities that would be simple pitch-and-catch plays for a good passer.

But that's why he was a cheap acquisition and if he had advanced he'd be a very difficult re-sign so I get the contract they gave him.

I can't understate how many of these opps are there because of his skill though.

He is in a class by himself in terms of elusiveness at the position......teams routinely employ spies to mirror him and when he decides to run he disposes of those guys with ease. That is not normal.

As I've said.........give him some big, easy to find and trustworthy targets that can make plays after the catch and despite the fact that he's not a good passer the Bills would be basketball on grass.

Sounds like an equation that would work with any QB.......but with pocket passers things tend to get out of balance and the run game suffers as they cater their OL toward pass blocking.

Don't have to do that with Tyrod......even with run first blockers he negates pass rush.

Been saying this for a while.....it meets a lot of opposition because some think you can just plug and play anyone. If this was true we would have had a viable starter long before Tyrod Taylor.

Put the right type of players on the field and watch this team excel.

Drop.

Yeah, but the question was Tate not Powell. Tate had nobody in his zip code and even Tyrod could get the ball to him if he thought about looking that way, especially with 4 guys converging on Clay.

You are right, there's always one or two open WRs in this offense. I'm guessing it's the defenses cheating because they know TT won't look beyond his primary read.

You would have thought the team would have done that last offseason especially when they knew Sammy was coming off surgery.

- Tyrod again needlessly bails out to the left from a clean pocket. Hunter realising his QB is in trouble cuts off his route and starts running horizontally to the line of scrimmage right at the first down marker, if Tyrod keeps his eyes downfield this is an easy completion for a crucial 1st down. He doesn't, and he is sacked for a loss of 3 as he fails to outrun the linebacker.

I don’t see the All 22s. From Gunner’s write-up it sounds like Hunter is getting open a lot and playing smart Football. Is that true? People keep saying TT has no decent receivers in TT's defense. What is the mark against Hunter being good? Does he have bad hands? Run bad routes? Do we really have no decent receivers?

Drop.

Seriously? Why would you not throw it to the wr who is wide open by himself in the end zone?

Watch the video again. This is butt fumble bad football.

Been saying this for a while.....it meets a lot of opposition because some think you can just plug and play anyone. If this was true we would have had a viable starter long before Tyrod Taylor.

Put the right type of players on the field and watch this team excel.

See above. TT is brutal. Only you would take a play this horrible and find a way to make it not TT's fault.

Guess he can't see the field at all.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Every starting QB in the league. There you just got 32.

Edited by Beef Jerky

I don’t see the All 22s. From Gunner’s write-up it sounds like Hunter is getting open a lot and playing smart Football. Is that true? People keep saying TT has no decent receivers in TT's defense. What is the mark against Hunter being good? Does he have bad hands? Run bad routes? Do we really have no decent receivers?

Hunter had a good game on Sunday and was catchless. Beat his man off the line, got good leverage.... the ball just never came his way. I think the one on the corner route (where Tryod went to Harvin on the crosser) was Hunter - though hard to see the number. Whoever that was they were WIDE open for a walk in touchdown having totally beaten the cornerback. Taylor never looked that way.

Really so Every starting NFL QB has missed the amount of Wide Open WRs running around that Tyrod Taylor has. Ummmm nope maybe in their career not in 1 year lol

Yes every QB in history has missed guys who were wide open. The plays only last a few seconds.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Yes every QB in history has missed guys who were wide open. The plays only last a few seconds.

Of course they do, but why does it seem like every game we go back and look and there are multiple instances of Taylor just not seeing wide open Receivers multiple times a game.

This was not just the Cinci game, it has been all season.

A good QB makes the throw to Tate and Not Clay.

but he was spectacular in Seattle. how is that possible given this thread and all the analysis?

He played his best game as a pro in Seattle. If we got Seattle version of Tyrod every week I'd anoint him our Franchise Quarterback and put all this to bed. This is not a personal thing for me whatsoever, I am not invested in his failure, I want him to succeed. All I am doing is saying what I see. I people want to accuse me of being a "hater" let them flame away. In my breakdown I included plays that I put on Tyrod when watching live and that after watching the all 22 I absolve him to a greater or lesser extent on. I am objective on this. I was heavily pro-Tyrod pre-season, but the closer I have watched this year the more uncertain I am about him as our Quarterback beyond this season.

Of course they do, but why does it seem like every game we go back and look and there are multiple instances of Taylor just not seeing wide open Receivers multiple times a game.

This was not just the Cinci game, it has been all season.

A good QB makes the throw to Tate and Not Clay.

Do you watch all-22's of any other qbs?

Do you watch all-22's of any other qbs?

For my part I do from time to time. Normally when someone appears to be playing much better or worse than I expect from them. I've watched Aaron Rodgers all 22 a couple of times this year, Kirk Cousins once, Dak once, Tannehill once.

It is fair to say that when you watch any Quarterback on the all 22 you see plays left on the field. It just is not usually in the quantities that Tyrod demonstrated on Sunday. Even some of his biggest fans on this board admit he had a really poor game on Sunday. I watch the all 22 of the Bills game every week.... this was one probably the worst game of Tyrod's tenure as our starting Quarterback... coming one game after his best.

Edited by GunnerBill

Is there anyone left who thinks he can be The Guy after today's game?

If so, based on what evidence?

I am so glad most of you are realizing he is not the guy. I have been persecuted for two years, arguing this point. At the cap hit that we would eat if they allow his contract to go beyond next year, would devistate this team for years. No way I want to end up like the Ravens. Tie Rod is not the answer.