Bocephuz

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really one simple reason:

1. Out coached/out game planned

We abandoned our run-first Offensive identity for no good reason and coupled it with horrible play calling. We refused to blitz/stack the box to knock Tanny off his game and stop the run. Miami coaches had their players hyped up to BULLY us, and we came out soft and flat and took it like a bunch of bitches (see: Landry hit and no retaliation).

Simple as that. Regardless of QB play or anything else.

I didn't see the game.... the pub I got to after the Twickenham game was only showing redzone... but pretty much ever play they did show was Ajayi running all over us.

This sounds boring and dull and very 1990s... but in the NFL if you can't run and stop the run you can't win.

This is where I'm at - I too missed the game, but if you had told me beforehand that Ajayi would run for 200+ yards, I'd have predicted an even bigger loss. What I want to know is what the issue was in run defense. They're light on talent, for sure (Corbin Bryant has been quietly awful all year), but usually you can scheme to stop the run, and Rex especially has been good at this over his career. It looks like they played yesterday with Mike Pettine's defense from 2013 and Chan Gailey's offense from 2012.

In any event, putting aside the really tired crusade by Major General Jerkoff, if Tyrod doesn't start throwing over the middle with anticipation than he'll be benched, if not this year, certainly next year. End of story.

Yes PFF system has it's flaws.. however.. it is at least a systematic way of grading a player's performance.

There is a wide gap between the PFF high grade and label of "Another Flawless Performance" and some of the comments made by posters on this board who say that TT had an awful game and that he was the main reason the Bills lost. The answer is somewhere in between there certainly.. but I will trust that is much closer to the PFF grade than then anecdotal emotional grade given by some posters here.

I'm saying a few here are as good, if not better... not that the overall reaction or worst are

1. The Missing: Watkins (WR1), Woods (WR2), Shady (RB1) - makes the O hard to go; Dareus might have helped up the middle

2. Couldn't stop the run: 200+ ouch

3. O-line / O play: Couldn't get anything going, likely should have just started Gillislee, Tyrod under pressure all day

Agree with all of this.

Suspect we started Shady to bring the Miami into the box so we could throw the ball. A better approach probably would have been to start MG and run the same kind of offense we've been running.

Agree with all of this.

Suspect we started Shady to bring the Miami into the box so we could throw the ball. A better approach probably would have been to start MG and run the same kind of offense we've been running.

If this is what we did then it was an absolutely awful idea.

We lost because they ran the ball down our throats and we made no adjustments to stop it. And on offense we didn't even try and get the ground game going. We were up we should have been sticking with the run. Gilleslee should have had 20+ carries and McCoy once they saw he wasn't good should have been on the bench. This team seems incapable of making halftime adjustments

Exactly.

They let a rookie run all over them. He broke tackles and we talked poorly.

The offense did enough to win this one.

Ajayi is a 2nd year guy - but I agree with the point.

EDIT: He is a Brit too so I can't be too down on the kid. Even if he did screw us.

Edited by GunnerBill

We lost because they ran the ball down our throats and we made no adjustments to stop it. And on offense we didn't even try and get the ground game going. We were up we should have been sticking with the run. Gilleslee should have had 20+ carries and McCoy once they saw he wasn't good should have been on the bench. This team seems incapable of making halftime adjustments

Yup.

And after 20 carries for TD Mike, our next most-used play should be a Tyrod scramble. Yesterday was the type of day where I felt like that would be the only play that would work.

Agree with all of this.

Certainly felt that way to me too - if so, that was the wrong plan! :beer:

To me, the Buffalo defense giving up 214 rushing yards to Ajayi is by far the biggest issue I have with today's game.

Most of the fan base knew the Bills QB is limited and without his two best WR's and the team's star RB injured it would be a tough game. The Bills were ahead in the game until the 4th quarter and the run defense just melted.

Yes, This. Good teams have one unit step up for another. Without McCoy and Woods, it was clear the Bills O was going to be struggling to put points on the board. We needed the D to "man up" and protect the lead we took into the 4th quarter, and they didn't.

I think the Bills coaching staff knew Miami was going to come in trying to stop the run anyway. After all, that is the Bills' strength. If you take that away from them, the Bills are a pretty bad offense.

And I think the Bills coaching staff (thinking that they are more important than the players once again) made the decision that they would try to change the offense to be something it isn't just for this game. They tried to win the game through creative coaching rather than trying to let the offensive line do what they are best at - which is push other people around.

The Bills should have been pounding the fins religiously and relentlessly with Mike G trying to setup the unexpected big play to Goodwin, Hunter or one of the Tight ends.

Couldn't run

Couldn't stop the run

Didn't pass protect very well either. QB stayed under pressure.

That'll do it every time

Agree with all of this.

That would have made too much sense.

YES they did. Big time.

The two that stick out.

Tyrod Missing Goodwin on the slant. - not as meaniningful.

BIG one After the Bomb to Goodwin, Meeks could have and should have had a pick. (during the 4 game win streak Robey made the play) Meeks did not. End result Phin TD and right back in the game

My one contribution:

Their defensive game plan did not take Miami's running game seriously. The game plan looked a lot like last year's game plan.

I'm not calling Dennis Thurman lazy but I think he stuck with what worked because it worked well last year.

If the defense contains the run yesterday, it is a Bills win.