Great article about the Bills-Browns playoff game in 1989

Big Turk

complete with the big play highlights...

I can still see that game in my mind...Reed breaking away for a 72 yard TD, Metcalf going 90 yards for a big return TD right after we scored to take the lead...and of course Harmon dropping a perfectly thrown pas while he was wide open and the subsequent Clay Matthews INT to end it...

what a great game...and I agree, it was one of the greatest games nobody ever talks about...

https://taylorblitztimes.com/2011/12/02/the-greatest-nfl-game-never-talked-about/

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When HArmon dropped that ball it may have been the most devastated I've felt as a Bills fan. In the next week's SI there was a frame by frame of the ball going right into and through his hands. I actually cut it out and for years I had it in the room in my house where my weights were and channeled the anger/grief in my workouts.

complete with the big play highlights...

I can still see that game in my mind...Reed breaking away for a 72 yard TD, Metcalf going 90 yards for a big return TD right after we scored to take the lead...and of course Harmon dropping a perfectly thrown pas while he was wide open and the subsequent Clay Matthews INT to end it...

what a great game...and I agree, it was one of the greatest games nobody ever talks about...

https://taylorblitztimes.com/2011/12/02/the-greatest-nfl-game-never-talked-about/

It's fun to go back in these old games and count up how many penalties would be called today. Hint. It's tons. And the NFL wonders why ratings are down...

Everyone remembers the next 4 years, but the run included 1989 and to a lesser extent 1988 and 1994. That loss to the Browns was devastating but it was also when I knew the Bills had arrived. I remember listening to the 1988 loss to the Bengals on the radio from the back seat (long ride home from grandmas funeral) and as I recall the Bills hung tough until some bad penalties by the goal line (maybe Bruce Smith on one?).

When HArmon dropped that ball it may have been the most devastated I've felt as a Bills fan. In the next week's SI there was a frame by frame of the ball going right into and through his hands. I actually cut it out and for years I had it in the room in my house where my weights were and channeled the anger/grief in my workouts.

This is analogous to Bill Buckner and the Red Sox in 1986. As time passes everyone remembers Buckner's error, but that moment did not lose the game.

Harmon's drop did not end the game for the Bills. Kelly's goalline interception to Clay Matthews on the very next play did.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The deeper background on this was that Harmon had long before been accused of fixing a bowl game when he was a college star at Iowa.........and he was maybe THE BEST receiving back in the NFL at this point......and it went thru his hands like he was legally blind? Yeah, it seemed an unlikely turn of events.

I remember the game well. Cleveland had to paint their awful muddy field green. No wonder the team split. But what a game. That was the last time the Browns were great and we were just at beginning of greatness.

Everyone remembers the next 4 years, but the run included 1989 and to a lesser extent 1988 and 1994. That loss to the Browns was devastating but it was also when I knew the Bills had arrived. I remember listening to the 1988 loss to the Bengals on the radio from the back seat (long ride home from grandmas funeral) and as I recall the Bills hung tough until some bad penalties by the goal line (maybe Bruce Smith on one?).

Bruce had a phantom face mask that day on Boomer that kept a key bengals drive alive that was paramount to them winning. The bills could have competed big time with the Niners in the Super Bowl that year. Still mad.

That game put the Bills on the map. I will never forget it, or the loss to the Bungholes in the AFC champ game the year before.

Same thing is gonna happen this year. The Bills may not win it all, but they are going to firmly place themselves in the discussion. The future is bright. Buy in.

^ agreed- I feel the Bills are making a name this year. They are building a system. It's not the best players but it is the best team. It's that winning identity. You don't need rock stars to win with this system they are building. The important thing is they believe they can win any game- Pats, Seahawks. No team is intimidating.

Watched that game with my roommate who was from Cleveland. Ronnie !@#$ing Harmon. :censored:

He blew the Rose Bowl for Iowa too! First thing my new boss said to me when I moved to Rock Island: "Don't feel bad, he blew the Rose Bowl for us too!" Gee... Thanks boss!

In good BFLo torture, I just shipped my son off to be a Hawkeye! :D:D

I was at the Cleveland game in 1989... w/girlfriend... She almost got me killed while sitting in a sea of brutal Bernie Brownie fans! I am a lover not a fighter! :D

Funny thing about Harmon. I recall him making a better catch than the Beckham grab. Was a game against INDY, middle of the endzone, he was almost horizontal in the air and pulled the ball in with one out stretched hand. First drive to start third 1/4 I think? Does anybody remember that circus catch!

It's fun to go back in these old games and count up how many penalties would be called today. Hint. It's tons. And the NFL wonders why ratings are down...

On that note, last Sunday I watched the entire "no punt" game ('92) since the Bills were playing the Niners, and thought the same thing. It was incredible.

I really wish somebody with some common sense could get into the commissioner's head and help him understand that simpler is better -- you know, the time-tested K.I.S.S. principle. The NFL rule book is an overly complicated mess. They could simplify things immensely while still protecting players -- and stop focusing on nonsense like player celebrations.