Great article about the Bills-Browns playoff game in 1989

Big Turk

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched that game on YouTube last winter (watched it live on TV way back when and always loved this game). I remembered the Beebe helicopter and other big plays, but hadn't remembered how brilliant #34 had been, especially in the second half.

A few days later, I'm on a JetBlue flight to JFK and lo and behold, Thurman was three rows behind me. So I stopped to say his and said I had watched the game that weekend, remarking what a tremendous game he had had.

Either Thurman was tired or not an extrovert, but let's just say there wasn't too much acknowledgement of my comments on enthusiasm. Regardless of his interpersonal comportment, it was a hell of a game and one for the ages.

I watched that game on YouTube last winter (watched it live on TV way back when and always loved this game). I remembered the Beebe helicopter and other big plays, but hadn't remembered how brilliant #34 had been, especially in the second half.

A few days later, I'm on a JetBlue flight to JFK and lo and behold, Thurman was three rows behind me. So I stopped to say his and said I had watched the game that weekend, remarking what a tremendous game he had had.

Either Thurman was tired or not an extrovert, but let's just say there wasn't too much acknowledgement of my comments on enthusiasm. Regardless of his interpersonal comportment, it was a hell of a game and one for the ages.

Kent Hull and Will Wolford had Sabres seasons tix a couple rows from me at the time. I walked out with them and told them that was the best game I've ever seen an offensive line play. They were both very polite and said Thank you! I think the Sabres game was the very next night.

complete with the big play highlights...

I can still see that game in my mind...Reed breaking away for a 72 yard TD, Metcalf going 90 yards for a big return TD right after we scored to take the lead...and of course Harmon dropping a perfectly thrown pas while he was wide open and the subsequent Clay Matthews INT to end it...

what a great game...and I agree, it was one of the greatest games nobody ever talks about...

https://taylorblitztimes.com/2011/12/02/the-greatest-nfl-game-never-talked-about/

I agree, what a great game. I still remember exactly where I was for that game and in infamous interception to end the game.

I had forgotten how good that Bills team was and recall having little doubt they could/would win every game they played. The author of the article was right-on with his comment about Charlie Jones and Merlin Olson letting the crowd speak for the excitement of the game, though the producer of the telecast likely had alot to do with that.