Robert Klemko, Peter King and MMQB - Journalistic garbage

QB Bills

"Appears to identify as a Muslim" = and there we have it.

Yeah, you got me. I have no idea what his religion is, nor do I care. There are social media posts that seem to show that he identifies as a Muslim. So what? Why does Muslim = bad to you?

I'm starting to get outraged, myself, over the fact that people are outraged over the term "Muslim". I'm getting out of this debate while I still have my sanity. Y'all enjoy!

Edited by Sig1Hunter

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An equally likely perspective is that Kaepernick, who appears to identify as a Muslim, is the QB of the opposing team and therefore should be tackled. Trying to insinuate "racism" is just adding fuel to the fire. And, for what? To drive the narrative? To drive clicks, ads, revenue? That is the outrageous part of this whole thing.

You really should stop.

Maybe he is, maybe he's not. Who cares? If someone calls me a Jew because I have a big nose and a Jewish name, should I be offended? I'd love to be offended by something. It seems like the "victims" get so much play in this country. It's probably a lot of fun!

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/09/08/colin-kaepernick-anthem-protest-muslim-rumors

Derogatory terms can be hurtful and contribute to the continuation of a segregated, prejudiced society for minorities.

In your situation you probably wouldn't be offended but Jewish people probably would be depending on the context and situation.

So let me get this straight: it's NOT okay to NOT say something that is perceived as being a call for violence?

We are so pussified right now, I could puke.

And you guys wonder why we live in dark times.

Look, dude, if you're calling me a kitty, I'm going to push back.

I fought in a war. Guys in other uniforms tried their damnedest to kill me and my men. We lived in extremely difficult conditions. I don't think my life or values qualifies as "pussified."

And my old fashioned American values say it's wrong to promote any kind of violence against someone because of their religion.

Brighter times emerge when we don't care about someone's race or religion but only their individual character.

I'd be willing to do this. You get your 10 best friends together. I'll get mine - all like-minded combat vets. Put us all in a dark forest, swamp or desert and we'll see who's pussified.

You're wrong and can't logically prove you're right so you resort to name-calling. That's not good American behavior.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/09/08/colin-kaepernick-anthem-protest-muslim-rumors

Derogatory terms can be hurtful and contribute to the continuation of a segregated, prejudiced society for minorities.

In your situation you probably wouldn't be offended but Jewish people probably would be depending on the context and situation.

Why would Jews be offended if somebody misidentified him as a Jew?

Why do people immediately assume that somebody else is going to be offended?

Edited by GG

Twisted and turned as usual. If some random jackass makes a racial comment that is not a reportable incident! We the people shouldn't be outraged over a random comment from any race towards any other race. Stop acting like its some organized display of racism, it's a single jack ass saying something stupid. I'm sure it goes on in every nook and cranny around the country on every single day about every different color!

A journalist with any integrity wouldn't have touched this thing, Peter King should be ashamed of himself for being associated with this mess. Good for the girl involved for speaking out openly, I am afraid she missed the point though.

Oh he definitely benefits. Creating controversy is what they're after.

If they are selling shirts that say "Hey Colin, while you are down there..." why should we doubt that someone would yell "tackle the Muslim?" Is it really even a little bit of a stretch? It isn't to me. It only takes one idiot to paint the entire fan base in a bad light. I don't necessarily need to see a video to believe that it happened. I have seen far less believable things happening in those parking lots and at that stadium.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Does calling someone out for asserting -- in jest or otherwise -- that Kaep is a "target" really make us "pussified?" I understand sense of humor is individual, but there's really nothing funny about that t-shirt.

No. What makes us pussified is to suggest -- as he did -- that the shirt was step one toward Nazi Germany.

THAT is pussified because instead of seeing the t-shirt for what it is -- a t-shirt-- it is now ridiculously symbolic of one of the most horrific events in the history of the world. We should all be afraid! Very afraid during these dark times because we're one Hanes Beefy T away from fascism in America!!!

A t-shirt. Equated to Nazis. Pussified to the end.

Not tyo mention, the idea that the t-shirt would in any way, shape or form actually and literally incite violence is nothing but a ridiculous point people in the media bring up for click bait. Consider how many Bills fans were offended by the name of the Washington Redksins -- or even gave it a second thought -- before Tim Graham decided it bothered him?

Click bait. Nothing more.

Edited by LABillzFan

If they are selling shirts that say "Hey Colin, while you are down there..." why should we doubt that someone would yell "tackle the Muslim." Is it really even a little bit of a stretch? It isn't to me. It only takes one idiot to paint the entire fan base in a bad light. I don't necessarily need to see a video to believe that it happened. I have seen far less believable things happening in those parking lots and at that stadium.

Because the main issue of this thread is journalistic standards and integrity.

Klemko's original report stated that the video shows people, including Alexis, shouting 'tackle the Muslim" when no such video evidence exists. He then took down his tweets, and changed the story that he had heard it somewhere in the parking lot.

Yet, if you do a simple Google search, there are multiple reposts and links to the story from other major news organizations purporting that the video shows Bills fans shouting "Tackle the Muslim" And again when you watch the videos, there's nothing in them that's derogatory towards any race or religion, just to Kaepernick.

But the false meme has been established by the enlightened lazy journalists.

There are racists everywhere. Problem is now they are emboldened to speak their mind.. And a shirt with anyone in the crosshairs is just wrong IMO...

I fully support Kap, everyone should be protesting this nation the government and the greed from wallstreet and its over zealous monetary influence into our politics..

Klemko's original report stated that the video shows people, including Alexis, shouting 'tackle the Muslim" when no such video evidence exists. He then took down his tweets, and changed the story that he had heard it somewhere in the parking lot.

Yet, if you do a simple Google search, there are multiple reposts and links to the story from other major news organizations purporting that the video shows Bills fans shouting "Tackle the Muslim" And again when you watch the videos, there's nothing in them that's derogatory towards any race or religion, just to Kaepernick.

Then the biggest mistake was they should have filmed more, because I heard a lot worse out of Bills fans last week than just calling someone a Muslim.

So let me get this straight: it's NOT okay to NOT say something that is perceived as being a call for violence?

We are so pussified right now, I could puke.

And you guys wonder why we live in dark times.

As long as great Americans like you keep using the word "pussified", we will stay strong! It sounds cool...and it sends a message...this country was always greater when people could act like !@#$s, and not have to live in fear of being called out on it!

Edited by Buftex

Wow this thread degraded fast! First it has not been confirmed "tackle the Muslim" was said and appears the girl denies it. That said tackling an efegy of your opposing teams QB hardly a call for violence.

Also let's say he did hear the statement, Like it or hate it the person has the right to say it. Any combat or hell any vet knows this be true, they put their life on the line for us all have that right.

As for the shirt, I took it to mean to target him, but in a football sense (like target locked in and acquired) if it offends you then don't buy it if enough people don't buy it then it will go away. Start preaching to people and telling them on your high horse how wrong they are and you will increase their sales. Has no one ever heard of No publicity is bad publicity before!

I agree that it is bad journalism. The fact that others are running with it without the proper confirmation is even worse. That still doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

I agree that it is bad journalism. The fact that others are running with it without the proper confirmation is even worse. That still doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

Ahh but a good journalist (back in the olden days) would never ever run with something without at least 1 cooperating witness. Today they run the drivel everywhere.

Some of the takes in this thread are laughably amazing. Someone saying "tackle the Muslim" didn't happen in the video, but because it is something that someone, somewhere could have said, we should just act like it was said. :doh:

Ahh but a good journalist (back in the olden days) would never ever run with something without at least 1 cooperating witness. Today they run the drivel everywhere.

100%, it used to be better to be "right than 1st." That isn't the case anymore. It is really bad journalism. There is no denying that. If the point of the thread was to point that out we are absolutely in agreement. If the point was "there is no proof that this happened," I hesitate to say that it is impossible (or even unlikely). I feel for those in the video as people are associating them with the racist behavior. The majority of people in that video were not doing anything like that.

Some of the takes in this thread are laughably amazing. Someone saying "tackle the Muslim" didn't happen in the video, but because it is something that someone, somewhere could have said, we should just act like it was said. :doh:

I could tell 25 stories of things that have happened in that stadium that no one here has ever heard that are 100% true that are FAR, FAR, FAR less conceivable than that. In addition, to what I know that has happened there off the record I have attended well over 100 games there. I have seen some things.

I am not saying that we should act as it is true but it is a much bigger stretch IMO that this guy concocted this, elaborate, racist story to get clicks. Someone yelling "tackle the Muslim" is much more believable in my experience.

100%, it used to be better to be "right than 1st." That isn't the case anymore. It is really bad journalism. There is no denying that. If the point of the thread was to point that out we are absolutely in agreement. If the point was "there is no proof that this happened," I hesitate to say that it is impossible (or even unlikely). I feel for those in the video as people are associating them with the racist behavior. The majority of people in that video were not doing anything like that.

I could tell 25 stories of things that have happened in that stadium that no one here has ever heard that are 100% true that are FAR, FAR, FAR less conceivable than that. In addition, to what I know that has happened there off the record I have attended well over 100 games there. I have seen some things.

I am not saying that we should act as it is true but it is a much bigger stretch IMO that this guy concocted this, elaborate, racist story to get clicks. Someone yelling "tackle the Muslim" is much more believable in my experience.

I think you're moving away from the point. It isn't that there hasn't been worse said out there. I've seen a lot worse said to and about minorities at a Bills game.

Point is that this guy who is from a reputable enough news outlet made the whole thing up. He should have been harshly disciplined, if not fired on the spot. But Peter King is a spineless weasel.

edit: yes, the above bolded part was the reasoning

Edited by QB Bills