The fly in the ointment: Our receiving corps

I'm as happy as anyone that we are on a hot streak. And I was never convinced that we were that bad even during the first two games. And I've always liked and continue to like Ryan. And I'm a Tyrod fan. Point being, I'm generally not a glass half-empty kind of guy.

But I am seriously anxious about if/when our thinness at receiver is going to upend us.

Sammy out for a while, maybe the year. Woods and Clay are both hurt, though hopefully not seriously. That's the top 3 right there. What's left? Goodwin is a very limited player with almost no ability to attack the ball strongly. Powell can't get separation consistently. Hunter? I don't know - how many journeymen can we turn into all-pros? Hopefully one more.

My biggest hope for an effective weapon to emerge is the continued development of O'Leary. Otherwise, it's hard to see Taylor having anyone much to throw to against a competent defense, especially if Woods and Clay continue to be banged up. We might start seeing nine in the box. Even Shady won't be able to do much about that.

Do we look for a trade? Do we just pray and wait? With everyone healthy, including Sammy, we have some weapons, but right now we might have the least frightening receiving group in the league.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm as happy as anyone that we are on a hot streak. And I was never convinced that we were that bad even during the first two games. And I've always liked and continue to like Ryan. And I'm a Tyrod fan. Point being, I'm generally not a glass half-empty kind of guy.

But I am seriously anxious about if/when our thinness at receiver is going to upend us.

Sammy out for a while, maybe the year. Woods and Clay are both hurt, though hopefully not seriously. That's the top 3 right there. What's left? Goodwin is a very limited player with almost no ability to attack the ball strongly. Powell can't get separation consistently. Hunter? I don't know - how many journeymen can we turn into all-pros? Hopefully one more.

My biggest hope for an effective weapon to emerge is the continued development of O'Leary. Otherwise, it's hard to see Taylor having anyone much to throw to against a competent defense, especially if Woods and Clay continue to be banged up. We might start seeing nine in the box. Even Shady won't be able to do much about that.

Do we look for a trade? Do we just pray and wait? With everyone healthy, including Sammy, we have some weapons, but right now we might have the least frightening receiving group in the league.

Does not matter in this offense, TT is not an elite passer and never will be. We are a running team with a running QB and we are going to win or lose this way.

Be more concerned if McCoy and some Olineman go down.

If they can just get Hunter up to speed he might contribute that opposite Woods who has generally played well. I just worry a bit that they are going to try and get by with what they have until the bye and then use that time to get Hunter fully up to speed.

That's precisely what they're going to do... I'm not sure what options they have other than to nab someone off another practice squad...anyone know what Da'rick Rogers is doing these days?

If they can just get Hunter up to speed he might contribute that opposite Woods who has generally played well. I just worry a bit that they are going to try and get by with what they have until the bye and then use that time to get Hunter fully up to speed.

what is considered "up to speed" this is his 3rd team this year. his career numbers are laughable as a receiver. he Is known too lack passion. He even predicted his first cut this year too teammates when he could have still turned it around. His 2td's are nice. But he is the poster boy for the term JAG. Maybe the light bulb turns on for this guy. But learning the playbook is secondary to motivation for this receiver. Watkins is the guy that causes worry. He if possible could be huge if he can actually play for the stretch run.

what is considered "up to speed" this is his 3rd team this year. his career numbers are laughable as a receiver. he Is known too lack passion. He even predicted his first cut this year too teammates when he could have still turned it around. His 2td's are nice. But he is the poster boy for the term JAG. Maybe the light bulb turns on for this guy. But learning the playbook is secondary to motivation for this receiver. Watkins is the guy that causes worry. He if possible could be huge if he can actually play for the stretch run.

Indeed. He might never get there. But they should be trying to get him there asap. Goodwin is absolutely useless.

I'll take a passionless JAG who scores a touchdown in each game he plays.

Does not matter in this offense, TT is not an elite passer and never will be. We are a running team with a running QB and we are going to win or lose this way.

Be more concerned if McCoy and some Olineman go down.

Tyrod makes too many good passes and great long bombs to be labeled JUST a running QB. Top 10 QB? No, but other than Russel Wilson, and Cam, hes the best dual-threat QB in the leaugue.

Tyrod makes too many good passes and great long bombs to be labeled JUST a running QB. Top 10 QB? No, but other than Russel Wilson, and Cam, hes the best dual-threat QB in the leaugue.

Are you being serious or sarcastic? Tyrod has been terrible this year on long balls, I can't even remember him hitting one this year (maybe he has but I don't recall). His throws have been inaccurate as NFL standards, he has not been good this year in the passing game at all, and if you think he has then you need to raise your standards.. Don't get me wrong, I love Tyrod, glad he's here. He loves this team and is working with-out some real talent at WR. But, he needs to get more accurate.. ( This last game against SF he looked better at times). Sooo I'd hardly call him one of the best dual threats, there are plenty of QB's that are a better dual threat.. Tyrod is a run threat.. That's it.. Teams want him to beat them with his arm...

Edited by mikef272002

Versatile TEs are very important in this offense, too.

I've been pleasantly surprised by O'Leary on some plays. I'll admit that I hated him as a prospect. And he did not look good in preseason. But, he's being put in favorable situations and he's taking advantage of it, so good on him.

Clay is still a bit disappointing, given his potential. One of his drops yesterday was ugly.

I feel like Woods, Hunter, Powell, Goodwin is a solid corps for this offense. Sammy makes it great whenever he's on the field.

Are you being serious or sarcastic? Tyrod has been terrible this year on long balls, I can't even remember him hitting one this year (maybe he has but I don't recall). His throws have been inaccurate as NFL standards, he has not been good this year in the passing game at all, and if you think he has then you need to raise your standards.. Don't get me wrong, I love Tyrod, glad he's here. He loves this team and is working with-out some real talent at WR. But, he needs to get more accurate.. ( This last game against SF he looked better at times). Sooo I'd hardly call him one of the best dual threats, there are plenty of QB's that are a better dual threat.. Tyrod is a run threat.. That's it.. Teams want him to beat them with his arm...

You don't recall Glass' 75 yrd bomb on TNF? You don't recall yesterday's sweet 30 yrd TD to whatshisname? You don't recall Sammy couldn't stretch a Defense? I think you just don't like Tyrod. Carry on.

He hit Goodwin, Salas, and Powell on a long bomb and missed Woods twice this year. He was 44% on long bombs last year. He doesnt have his star WR that woulda caught the Woods throw from last week. That type of skill doesnt go away hes just adjusting to the other WRs speed. Or are you telling me he lost his skill to throw it after a few bad games? Besides Wilson and Cam who are all these dual threat QBs that are sooooo much better? Really I wanna know....

He hit Goodwin, Salas, and Powell on a long bomb and missed Woods twice this year. He was 44% on long bombs last year. He doesnt have his star WR that woulda caught the Woods throw from last week. That type of skill doesnt go away hes just adjusting to the other WRs speed. Or are you telling me he lost his skill to throw it after a few bad games? Besides Wilson and Cam who are all these dual threat QBs that are sooooo much better? Really I wanna know....

Hit Clay for 33 yards (deep-ish) in the first game too.

You don't recall Glass' 75 yrd bomb on TNF? You don't recall yesterday's sweet 30 yrd TD to whatshisname? You don't recall Sammy couldn't stretch a Defense? I think you just don't like Tyrod. Carry on.

I'm someone who likes TT, but we are a running team. There is no denying that fact. We don't have a consistent passing game. TT has been able to do enough as an athlete to help us win. I have no problems with that, but I agree with posters who say our WR corp doesn't matter all that much in this offense. Just because an offense hits a couple of long passes it doesn't make them, or their QB a passing offense. Every long pass we connect on is a result of the success we have in the running game anyway. If we were a passing offense we would be missing Sammy much more than we are. The lack of Sammy almost doesn't make a difference in this offense. He will never have stat lines like 8 catches and 150 yards. I hope we continue to win. If we do it's all good. At the same time it wouldn't shock me if a guy like Sammy tries to get himself out of here. No reciever will or would ever put up big numbers in this offense with TT. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Do people watch games?

Half of every long pass is the receiver adjusting to the throw. That's why Sammy caught so many of them and Goodwin doesn't.