The fly in the ointment: Our receiving corps

Its pretty interesting how you have a WR that has played 2 games and scored 2 touchdowns off what looks like 3 targets total......but we think we know or dont know what he can do.

Justin Hunter is improving every week

Hello again, Johnny.

I guess you can hold your breath while he develops, but it seems like he has the same strengths and weaknesses he displayed in college.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1602794-justin-hunter-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-tennessee-wr

I'm glad he is here, I just don't expect him to become a complete WR. The main complaint about him seems to be his "focus". I'm guessing that may be why he has been released by other teams. He doesn't keep his head in the game for long stretches.

Selling a route when you know it's a rushing play, or a play that you are unlikely to get the ball, or getting frustrated by DB's more often than getting thrown to, these things wear on a guy without "focus".

It's probably best to just use him sporadically, as a situational player, as opposed to a starter, who has to grapple with a CB play after play. That's much more demanding.

Edited by HoF Watkins

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is a "problem". This is a running team. Just because TT throws a couple TD passes doesn't change that. No question having Sammy will only make us better, but I don't think he's as big a loss in this offense as he would be in most others. We are run first to a point that I haven't seen in the NFL for a long time. Perhaps since Rex's Jets teams. Nothing wrong with that blueprint, I'd take a conference championship game appearance. I just don't expect Sammy to light it up when he comes back. His stat line will probably look much like the ones you posted above. This offense isn't set up for a receiver to put up big numbers.

I think Lynn is going to get him the ball. That seems to be his MO. Get the best players the ball. If he's our best weapon, get him the ball.

If it's screens, bombs, or slants and posts, we're going to look his way.

Its pretty interesting how you have a WR that has played 2 games and scored 2 touchdowns off what looks like 3 targets total......but we think we know or dont know what he can do.

Justin Hunter is improving every week

He played more snaps than that i think. I was at the game so it was hard to differentiate him and powell (19 vs 17), but they both seemed to struggle with whoever was the corner on tyrods left.

I don't see how anybody can be that nervous about the WR corps. If anything we probably have the least to lose out of all NFL teams in terms of possible WR injuries. Woods is the only guy out there right now with significantly more than replacement level ability.

thats a very big point

I'm as happy as anyone that we are on a hot streak. And I was never convinced that we were that bad even during the first two games. And I've always liked and continue to like Ryan. And I'm a Tyrod fan. Point being, I'm generally not a glass half-empty kind of guy.

But I am seriously anxious about if/when our thinness at receiver is going to upend us.

Sammy out for a while, maybe the year. Woods and Clay are both hurt, though hopefully not seriously. That's the top 3 right there. What's left? Goodwin is a very limited player with almost no ability to attack the ball strongly. Powell can't get separation consistently. Hunter? I don't know - how many journeymen can we turn into all-pros? Hopefully one more.

My biggest hope for an effective weapon to emerge is the continued development of O'Leary. Otherwise, it's hard to see Taylor having anyone much to throw to against a competent defense, especially if Woods and Clay continue to be banged up. We might start seeing nine in the box. Even Shady won't be able to do much about that.

Do we look for a trade? Do we just pray and wait? With everyone healthy, including Sammy, we have some weapons, but right now we might have the least frightening receiving group in the league.

I'll say this, given Whaley's track record on finding hidden NFL gems, and the assignment of Justin Hunter: he is a recently former 2nd Round WR who has incredible speed and talent, his hands have been suspect over the course of his NFL career, but much like Lorax, players seem to come here and thrive when once they were assigned the junk heap....not always of course, but frequently and especially in this year, see Brown, Zack and the aforementioned Lorax....so, Hunter is a wait and see, but he has the size, speed, and tools to be a very good WR....maybe the BILLS' coaching staff can fix it...

I think Lynn is going to get him the ball. That seems to be his MO. Get the best players the ball. If he's our best weapon, get him the ball.

If it's screens, bombs, or slants and posts, we're going to look his way.

He played more snaps than that i think. I was at the game so it was hard to differentiate him and powell (19 vs 17), but they both seemed to struggle with whoever was the corner on tyrods left.

Cool that you were at the game....:)

I think Justin Hunter is one of those different types of WR's because of his size......Tyrod shoudl be throwing balls to him even covered and letting him use his size....that is the whole advantage of a big physical receiver who can "go up and get it"

At least we have an identity. I would rather be a running offense that wins than a passing team that loses.

Face it most teams are either one or the other. Would you rather us be the saints or the colts right now who cant stop a nose bleed. Not every team is the Pats or Cardinals. Give me Seattle until we can draft the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

At least we have an identity. I would rather be a running offense that wins than a passing team that loses.

Face it most teams are either one or the other. Would you rather us be the saints or the colts right now who cant stop a nose bleed. Not every team is the Pats or Cardinals. Give me Seattle until we can draft the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

I'm surprised it took us this long to try and establish this identity. The "its a passing league" opinion ignores the fact that there are about 10 players who have excellent QBs. We are trying to buck that trend and run a ground/pound offense, which makes sense when you look at our QB situation.

But that isn't without looking at modern college offenses, and taking some cues from what they do. Triple option and zone read are fantastic because they make players choose. A LBer who chooses to contain TT is basically blocked by him since he's out of the play. A backer who cheats to get Tate on the pitch, misses TT because he made the wrong choice. Obviously this can backfire if we choose wrong as well, but we practice these exchanges every day, they just gameplan for buffalo. Who's more likely to mess up?

I'm someone who likes TT, but we are a running team. There is no denying that fact. We don't have a consistent passing game. TT has been able to do enough as an athlete to help us win. I have no problems with that, but I agree with posters who say our WR corp doesn't matter all that much in this offense. Just because an offense hits a couple of long passes it doesn't make them, or their QB a passing offense. Every long pass we connect on is a result of the success we have in the running game anyway. If we were a passing offense we would be missing Sammy much more than we are. The lack of Sammy almost doesn't make a difference in this offense. He will never have stat lines like 8 catches and 150 yards. I hope we continue to win. If we do it's all good. At the same time it wouldn't shock me if a guy like Sammy tries to get himself out of here. No reciever will or would ever put up big numbers in this offense with TT.

Though I agree with your comment, Sammy was consistently putting up 5-10 Recs and 100+ yards late last season when him and Tyrod got in the groove.

Apparently it's not a prerequisite to posting about them. But a moment's check of statistics would clear this up.

my nigga HAP!! :lol::lol::thumbsup:

By the way, whatever happened to Salas? I though he had a week to week type injury. Seems more serious than first thought.

I was at the game yesterday and O'Leary was open a lot. If Clay is dinged up at all, i can see Nick having a few 5-6 catch games soon.

He is on IR. him versus Sammy, he's not coming back.

He hit Goodwin, Salas, and Powell on a long bomb and missed Woods twice this year. He was 44% on long bombs last year. He doesnt have his star WR that woulda caught the Woods throw from last week. That type of skill doesnt go away hes just adjusting to the other WRs speed. Or are you telling me he lost his skill to throw it after a few bad games? Besides Wilson and Cam who are all these dual threat QBs that are sooooo much better? Really I wanna know....

He's not a throwing QB, an hopefully it will remain that way.

Even some of the completions are horrible passes.

1 deep pass yesterday was really nice though...

Though I agree with your comment, Sammy was consistently putting up 5-10 Recs and 100+ yards late last season when him and Tyrod got in the groove.

my nigga HAP!! :lol::lol::thumbsup:

Huh? Do you know how many <= 5 reception games Watkins had last year?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/16725/year/2015

The Bills are comfortably ahead and all is good. The passing attack is weak and misses Sammy terribly. TT has done it more with his feet and as long as they are ahead things are smooth and efficient.

Am concerned if they need to come from behind or protect a lead.

I'm a big fan of the running game as well but think the Bills should try to make a trade for a receiver. They don't have much experience or talent at that position now. If there is a chance to bring in a decent vet maybe from a team going nowhere I say do it if the price is fair.

The Bills are comfortably ahead and all is good. The passing attack is weak and misses Sammy terribly. TT has done it more with his feet and as long as they are ahead things are smooth and efficient.

They did protect their 4 point lead through the 3rd quarter and same against the Rams last week.

The Miami game really looks like a trap game...90degree weather, the Dolphins coming off a big upset win at home against the Mighty Steelers, pounding the rock for 200+ yards, shutting down Antonio Brown and then playing mistake free football.

Our defense has been rushing the passer only with 3 or 4 and dropping everyone in converage. Will this give Tannehill the time to sit in the pocket and make his throws. Can the defense rattle the opponent.

Tyrod makes too many good passes and great long bombs to be labeled JUST a running QB. Top 10 QB? No, but other than Russel Wilson, and Cam, hes the best dual-threat QB in the leaugue.

you missed the he is not an elite QB, if we ever get into a gun fight and he has to bring us back, it's not going to happen. Roman tried to open up the playbook for him and we saw how that went.

I think you mis-read the part where I said LATE last season.

Here's the stats I was referring to. Last 6 games of the season. count em up! Crow up!

After W/L the sheet goes: Rec. Targets. Yards. YPC. Longest Catch. TD.

KC L 22-30 6 10 158 26.3 48 2

HOU W 30-21 3 4 109 36.3 53 1

PHI L 20-23 5 12 81 16.2 47 1

WSH L 25-35 5 10 111 22.2 48 2

DALW 16-6 5 6 84 16.8 37 0

NYJ W 22-17 11 15 136 12.4 38 0

Edited by Marty McFly

LATE last season. Recall the pouty Sammy whining about getting the ball?

Well it worked like a charm. TT was throwing him into double coverage and Watkins was still pulling it down. crazy sheet.

Well lets let Anthony take care of all that.

Keeping the pedal mashed to the tin has worked so far

They did protect their 4 point lead through the 3rd quarter and same against the Rams last week.

The Miami game really looks like a trap game...90degree weather, the Dolphins coming off a big upset win at home against the Mighty Steelers, pounding the rock for 200+ yards, shutting down Antonio Brown and then playing mistake free football.

Our defense has been rushing the passer only with 3 or 4 and dropping everyone in converage. Will this give Tannehill the time to sit in the pocket and make his throws. Can the defense rattle the opponent.

Do you honestly think Bills will just run the same defense against Tanneyhil ?

I don't think you do. And Bills have mixed it up quite a bit depending on down and distance and game clock it seems.

Trap game. aren't they all for the Bills ?

you missed the he is not an elite QB, if we ever get into a gun fight and he has to bring us back, it's not going to happen. Roman tried to open up the playbook for him and we saw how that went.

I don't think Roman ever let him ball out.