The fly in the ointment: Our receiving corps

Half of every long pass is the receiver adjusting to the throw. That's why Sammy caught so many of them and Goodwin doesn't.

Goodwin has no other talents beside catching deep balls either. All the defense has to do is add help over the top on him to take him away. He seems incapable of running quality short routes. As cliche as it is, he plays like a track star pretending to be reciever. He doesn't know how to play the position. Sammy is a deep threat because you have to respect him as an underneath receiver. This allows him to occasionally get behind the defense. Every defense knows exactly what Goodwin is going to do. The only time Goodwin can beat a defense is when they scheme poorly, or blow a coverage.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm someone who likes TT, but we are a running team. There is no denying that fact. We don't have a consistent passing game. TT has been able to do enough as an athlete to help us win. I have no problems with that, but I agree with posters who say our WR corp doesn't matter all that much in this offense. Just because an offense hits a couple of long passes it doesn't make them, or their QB a passing offense. Every long pass we connect on is a result of the success we have in the running game anyway. If we were a passing offense we would be missing Sammy much more than we are. The lack of Sammy almost doesn't make a difference in this offense. He will never have stat lines like 8 catches and 150 yards. I hope we continue to win. If we do it's all good. At the same time it wouldn't shock me if a guy like Sammy tries to get himself out of here. No reciever will or would ever put up big numbers in this offense with TT.

Threw 2 TD passes this week and 2 TD passes last week. Team went 4 for 4 in the red zone, that's 100% of the time it's a TD yesterday. 2 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs. What's the problem?

I agree with the OP. WR is a concern. Is Sammy coming back, because man, can we use him.

Yesterday's Reciever stats

Receiving REC YDS TD LG

C. Clay 5 52 0 20

R. Woods 5 44 1 18

J. Hunter 1 30 1 30T

N. O'Leary 2 29 0 23

M. Goodwin 2 22 0 16

L. McCoy 2 2 0 2

Like how Tyrod is spreading the ball around. Not blowing up the NFL with yards receiving but getting the job done.

Edited by Rockinon

Goodwin has no other talents beside catching deep balls either. All the defense has to do is add help over the top on him to take him away. He seems incapable of running quality short routes. As cliche as it is, he plays like a track star pretending to be reciever. He doesn't know how to play the position. Sammy is a deep threat because you have to respect him as an underneath receiver. This allows him to occasionally get behind the defense. Every defense knows exactly what Goodwin is going to do. The only time Goodwin can beat a defense is when they scheme poorly, or blow a coverage.

Putting someone over the top of Goodwin is a win. Thats one more person out of the box. With another WR spread out wide that means only 8 in the box. I'll take woods one on one for most of the game. The threat of a vertical passing game does help the run game. I have really like our use of the draw lately. Gets the LBs and Safeties retreating and then Shady runs past them.

By the way, whatever happened to Salas? I though he had a week to week type injury. Seems more serious than first thought.

I was at the game yesterday and O'Leary was open a lot. If Clay is dinged up at all, i can see Nick having a few 5-6 catch games soon.

I do not have much to complain about with TT. My 1 knock, and I saw it again yesterday, is he does not throw the ball unless the guys is wide open. He was rolling to his right and there were 2 receivers rolling with him. Both had a step on the guy covering. TT just needed to throw the ball out in front of either one and it was a first down. Instead he ran it out of bounds for no gain.

Wonder why Powell is not getting more looks?

I looked at him yesterday and saw why he's probabably not any good. Because he's way to small. Looking at his ankles, they were skinnier than some of the players wrists.

Just an observation. He probably doesn't have the size or power to compete with DBs in this league. Roscoe Parrish was the same way. And Powell isn't even close to elusive or quick that Parrish was.

Are you being serious or sarcastic? Tyrod has been terrible this year on long balls, I can't even remember him hitting one this year (maybe he has but I don't recall).

He just threw a 30 yard strike to Justin Hunter in the end zone.

what is considered "up to speed" this is his 3rd team this year. his career numbers are laughable as a receiver. he Is known too lack passion. He even predicted his first cut this year too teammates when he could have still turned it around. His 2td's are nice. But he is the poster boy for the term JAG. Maybe the light bulb turns on for this guy. But learning the playbook is secondary to motivation for this receiver. Watkins is the guy that causes worry. He if possible could be huge if he can actually play for the stretch run.

You know there is more too it then that right?

2 TDs in 2 games with hardly any balls thrown to him at all.......most of them wasted on Goodwin

Sometimes it is just about fit

Threw 2 TD passes this week and 2 TD passes last week. Team went 4 for 4 in the red zone, that's 100% of the time it's a TD yesterday. 2 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs. What's the problem?

I agree with the OP. WR is a concern. Is Sammy coming back, because man, can we use him.

Yesterday's Reciever stats

Receiving REC YDS TD LG

C. Clay 5 52 0 20

R. Woods 5 44 1 18

J. Hunter 1 30 1 30T

N. O'Leary 2 29 0 23

M. Goodwin 2 22 0 16

L. McCoy 2 2 0 2

Like how Tyrod is spreading the ball around. Not blowing up the NFL with yards receiving but getting the job done.

I don't think there is a "problem". This is a running team. Just because TT throws a couple TD passes doesn't change that. No question having Sammy will only make us better, but I don't think he's as big a loss in this offense as he would be in most others. We are run first to a point that I haven't seen in the NFL for a long time. Perhaps since Rex's Jets teams. Nothing wrong with that blueprint, I'd take a conference championship game appearance. I just don't expect Sammy to light it up when he comes back. His stat line will probably look much like the ones you posted above. This offense isn't set up for a receiver to put up big numbers. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

to me it's keep getting Hunter more involved each week. Goodwin just shows more and more he's not an every down guy. Wood is good and now has to take on the #1 corner. It will get better as we move forward involving Clay more and now O'Leary

I agree. All we really need is for these guys to just make a couple plays each week. If that happens we should be in good shape. We are a run first offense that doesn't need nor will have a receiver putting up big numbers. With that said, Goodwin does seem completely incapable of consistently making plays every game. Hopefully, Hunter can give us something to make up for Goodwin's lack of consistency.

I don't see how anybody can be that nervous about the WR corps. If anything we probably have the least to lose out of all NFL teams in terms of possible WR injuries. Woods is the only guy out there right now with significantly more than replacement level ability.

Hunter will probably never be a good route runner. He is a big guy that can be effective in the end zone. At least he has something to offer.

I don't expect to see him "moving the chains".

Its pretty interesting how you have a WR that has played 2 games and scored 2 touchdowns off what looks like 3 targets total......but we think we know or dont know what he can do.

Justin Hunter is improving every week