Watkins Ruled Out For Sunday (Update - placed on IR)

BreezeMafia

How many games has he actually been healthy for though? Remember the month of November 2014 when we needed him for a wildcard push? He went invisible, tallying something like 12 catches and 100 yards for the entire month. The rallying cry around here was "He's hurt!! He's injured! He's still a great decoy!!" That's just one example. I'd take a guess and say for ~40% of his games there's been some nagging injury that's slowed him down, and it doesn't look like that percentage is going to get any better this year.

ding!!!

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 as a percentage of 35.

The comment was about Connolly playing in only 1/3 of the games he was a Sabre. While Sammy has played in more than that to this point, signs point to him missing some more time this year. Assuming he is sidelined for sognificant time, he will be pretty close to Timmys numbers.

I also add in the games that he's played when not at 100% and basically was useless in those games. Like the first few games last year. Like the first 2 this season. Etc.

Well if you're counting useless games then Timmy had 3 full seasons missed.

No question he's been nicked up, and I never denied that. The poster said that he couldn't stay on the field, which (up until this year) simply wasn't true.

Again, I've only ever said that the criticisms we level against him should make sense. Durability and ROI are totally reasonable talking points IMO. Productivity and availability up to this season aren't.

I think availability is a major issue, and that's my point. I don't count a #1 WR acting as a decoy for a month as "available." Is he technically on the field? Sure, but that's a bit disingenuous.

He's still on our team for another 2 years. Injuries suck - but I'm not about trading a guy who's value is at an all time low (not to mention creating a more massive hole). There's not much to discuss...

There's plenty of ammo to fire whaley, but this is the first time in ages that we arent constantly losing/recycling our best players. So the roster is relatively talented. Yes - we could use a QB, but we need to time it right and not desperately chase one.

Edited by dneveu

He's still on our team for another 2 years. Injuries suck - but I'm not about trading a guy who's value is at an all time low (not to mention creating a more massive hole). There's not much to discuss...

i haven't read the whole thread - someone wants to trade Sammy Watkins because he is hurt? Crazy town.

I think availability is a major issue, and that's my point. I don't count a #1 WR acting as a decoy for a month as "available." Is he technically on the field? Sure, but that's a bit disingenuous.

Now hang on, are we attributing his lack of production during that stretch solely to injury? I'm not sure how you determine that. Orton had a big dropoff in efficiency after the Jets game. Combine that with an uptick in rushing productivity, a nagging injury, the rookie, wall, and the general ebb and flow of a WR's production, and it's unsurprising to me. Sammy had 4 games as a rookie in which he was targeted 10 or more times...3 of them came before that stretch and one came after.

It doesn't follow as a logical progression that the injury would simply go away despite him not missing any games, so why would his productivity suddenly jump as December rolled around?

Obviously, we can't say for certain, but it certainly appeared that an increased effort to get him the ball was the issue...same as last year.

It's funny how similar Watkins and Juilliard Jones careers are. Jones missed 3 games in his first 2 years and then missed 11 in his 3rd year because of the foot fracture.

Guess Julio Jones is a kitty too, according to some.

it is ridiculous. AJ green had foot problems too. Eventually they get better, they come back, and they are great. The problem is not Sammy. The problem is the lack of depth behind him to fill in while he is out coupled with the level of QB play to elevate the play of those WRs.

it is ridiculous. AJ green had foot problems too. Eventually they get better, they come back, and they are great. The problem is not Sammy. The problem is the lack of depth behind him to fill in while he is out coupled with the level of QB play to elevate the play of those WRs.

I mean even done to the numbers they have put up and equivalent points in their career.

But I agree, the lack of depth is bad.