This just in, Rex is a pretty good Head Coach after all!!

ChanOverChin

Really am tired of all the national and even local media stating how the Bills fired their OC after leading the league in rushing last season. I'd really love to know where we'd be in rushing yards without TT gaining all those yards, I'm guessing barely top 10.

That's one of my pet peeves, if a QB gets sacked or even takes off to run but gets tackled even one yard behind the LOS, it's recorded in the sack total, but gain even one yard and then it adds to the rushing total. If a RB gets tackled behind the LOS it counts as yardage lost, but not for QB's

Someone showed the stats last year and if you took away Tyrod's running totals, as well as each team's QB running totals, the Bills were still at the top 2-3.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really am tired of all the national and even local media stating how the Bills fired their OC after leading the league in rushing last season. I'd really love to know where we'd be in rushing yards without TT gaining all those yards, I'm guessing barely top 10.

That's one of my pet peeves, if a QB gets sacked or even takes off to run but gets tackled even one yard behind the LOS, it's recorded in the sack total, but gain even one yard and then it adds to the rushing total. If a RB gets tackled behind the LOS it counts as yardage lost, but not for QB's

It's a separate stat. Sacks for a loss. It's pretty easy to understand really.

You get an NFL team that isn't truly horrid with their backs against the wall versus a team that has to travel three time zones and you often get what you saw yesterday. That's why I thought the Bills would win. Consistency is what matters, so let's see what happens Sunday. Also, everyone, including me, may have overestimated the quality of the Cardinals. They lose their first game at home to the Pats w/o Brady or Gronk, beat Tampa Bay, which isn't looking like a world beater, at home and then look like crap against the Bills. Let may have to struggle to make the playoffs, let alone make the Super Bowl.

In any event, it would be sweet to go to Foxboro and beat the Pats. Given the Pats' QB situation, there may never be a better time.

Someone showed the stats last year and if you took away Tyrod's running totals, as well as each team's QB running totals, the Bills were still at the top 2-3.

Bills 2015 Season Stats

509 Attempts

2,432 Yards

152 Yards Per Game

Tyrod's contribution to the above:

104 Attempts

568 Yards

35.5 YPG

Bills Totals Net of TT's contribution

405 Attempts

1,864 Yards

116.5 YPG

They would be 10th in YPG not counting TT's yards - however that's only because I didn't take out the QB rushing yards of the other 9 teams above them. (Carolina, Seahawks, Vikes, Bucs, Chiefs, Rams, Cards, 'Boys, JESTS).

I'm pretty sure most of those teams QB's ran a bit too.

Teddy Bridgewater - 192 Yds of 2,211 total 2,019 net

Jameis Winston - 213 Yds of 2,162 total 1,949 net

Tyrod Taylor 568 - Yds of 2,432 total 1,864 net

Russel Wilson - 553 Yds of 2,268 total 1,715 net

Cam Newton - 636 Yds of 2,282 total 1,646 net of QB rushing yards

Alex Smith - 498 Yds of 2,044 total 1,546 net

Ryan Fitzbutteroy - 270 Yds of 1,868 total 1,048 net

Just when we all had left the Bills for dead they play one of the best games in their history.

Howie Long had the Cards as a lock to win vs the Bills.

My observations regarding Tyrod Taylor:

I don't care what anybody says, Tyrod needs to run the ball. Not necessarily on a designated running play, but there needs to be some read-option plays and when he goes back to pass he needs to take off and run when it's there. I'd even has a called play to send 5 receivers deep and let him run it. His best weapon is his feet!!

Tyrod is not the type of QB to throw for 300+ yds on a regular basis, but he can get you 200+ yds passing and 80-90 yds rushing.

To me, Tyrod is Michael Vick when he was in his prime. And that's how he needs to play.

If he plays that way the Bills are capable of beating anybody. They just proved it by beating the Cards, probably a top 3 team in the entire league.

Other observations:

1. The Bills beat the Card minus Watkins, Glenn, Darby, Dareus, S. Henderson, Sh. Lawson, C. Anderson, G. Salas, and M. Easley (plus M. Lawson, K. Williams). That's pretty unbelievable.

2. They should get Watkins, Glenn, Darby, Anderson, and Salas back vs NE this week and then Dareus and Henderson back for Week #5 and Sh. Lawson and M. Easley back for Week #7.

3. Rex and his coaching staff outcoached Arians and his.

4. Lynn made a difference as the new OC. Changing the tempo really helped.

5. The Bills players played with a lot of confidence and motivation for this game.

6. S A. Williams is back. He looked weak in the first two games, but he was back to his dominant self in this game. Great to see!!

7. K. Williams, Graham, and Gilmore really stood out.

8. McCoy can be a real difference-maker when he wants to be.

9. The O-line was dominant.

10. Rex's defensive pressured Palmer well with some complex schemes. I especially enjoyed when Graham and D. Williams blitzed from the left side to sack Palmer.

11. There is real hope that Rex can turn things around. Firing Roman and making Lynn the new OC was a bold move, but it looks like it was a brilliant one. Lynn seems to understand the players better and that changing the tempo of the game is a good way to help his team.

Well said.

Rex got a lot out of a depleted 2013 Jets team that went 8-8 despite having a lot of talent depart and being hit hard by injuries. Rex's teams tend to play pretty hard for him. Only the last year as the Jets did the team really seem to collapse on him. I am not sure if he is the answer but I think he isn't as bad as many think. His teams commit a lot of penalties but they play hard and are well coached defensively. If The Bills can pull an upset over the Pats* and get to 2-2 they will have survived the first quarter of the season and set themselves up to finish the year strong. Dareus and Shaq Lawson will come back to the defense and Glenn and others will also be back on offense and at 2-2 they would have weathered the storm. Even if they lose to the Pats* but beat the Rams they will be at 2-3 facing a couple of winable games home for the 49ers and away at the Fins before a home Pats* games in which Brady will likely be playing.

This Pats* game is huge, Rex traditionally has played well defensively against the Pats* system. I am hoping that without Brady there Rex can really poke holes at the system which he has had a solid track record against.

Edited by billsfan89

I did not realize it until recently, but the stat that really concerned me from last year was that we were among the worst in three and outs last year (I believe second to last).

That is a horrible stat for an offense -- it also does not do your defense any favors.

Bills 2015 Season Stats

509 Attempts

2,432 Yards

152 Yards Per Game

Tyrod's contribution to the above:

104 Attempts

568 Yards

35.5 YPG

Bills Totals Net of TT's contribution

405 Attempts

1,864 Yards

116.5 YPG

They would be 10th in YPG not counting TT's yards - however that's only because I didn't take out the QB rushing yards of the other 9 teams above them. (Carolina, Seahawks, Vikes, Bucs, Chiefs, Rams, Cards, 'Boys, JESTS).

I'm pretty sure most of those teams QB's ran a bit too.

Teddy Bridgewater - 192 Yds of 2,211 total 2,019 net

Jameis Winston - 213 Yds of 2,162 total 1,949 net

Tyrod Taylor 568 - Yds of 2,432 total 1,864 net

Russel Wilson - 553 Yds of 2,268 total 1,715 net

Cam Newton - 636 Yds of 2,282 total 1,646 net of QB rushing yards

Alex Smith - 498 Yds of 2,044 total 1,546 net

Ryan Fitzbutteroy - 270 Yds of 1,868 total 1,048 net

Someone did do that though, Bandit maybe? And we were still in the top few.

So now you expect the Bills to beat the Pats in NE or Rex is a horrible HC?? I mean c'mon man.

The rest of the league can't beat the Pats, but the Bills have to in order to vindicate Rex.

It's just unfortunate for the Bills that they have had to deal with HOF HCs within their division for so many years. First it was D. Shula. Then B. Parcells. And now B. Belichick.

The point of this thread was simply to point out that Rex Ryan is a very capable NFL HC. Capable of beating the very best that the NFL has to offer. Even with the deck stacked against him (i.e. with so many of his best players out), he managed to beat one of the top three teams in the entire league.

The Bills controlled the game from the beginning. Rex's defense forced five 3-and-outs in a row to start the game against a very high scoring team with probably the best play caller in the league. It was Rex Ryan vs Bruce Arians and Rex won.......and it wasn't even close.

It's easy......extremely easy.............to say the Bills suck, the coach sucks, fire the coach. But firing the coach means starting from scratch and I really don't want to do that at this point.

if this team can get back the vital players that I mentioned above and soon they can make a run at the playoffs with Rex as the HC.

Hey FireRex, why don't you ask Carson Palmer what he thinks of Rex Ryan's defense???

Rex right now is 9-10 as HC of the Bills. I'd hold off on the "he's a good coach after all" talk. Let's see him beat the Cheats at the DeathStar, then maybe we can talk. Until then, Rex is still fireable, if only for the fact that he waited to bust a cap in Roman.

Drawing conclusions based on a body of work (i.e. at least a quarter of the season) versus the most recent game result could be construed as negative by a lot of fans now. For some reason, espousing a wait and see attitude will get you called a "hater" or "negative."

I need to see a level of consistency from this team as well. What irritates me is the team comes out strong in certain games and other times is flat. Last year's away NE game they were jacked up for MNF and played well. But other times during the season is was if there wasn't much motivation. I hope that hasn't continued in 2016 with a strong defensive effort against AZ and would expect another strong defensive effort versus NE. We'll see.

So now you expect the Bills to beat the Pats in NE or Rex is a horrible HC?? I mean c'mon man.

The rest of the league can't beat the Pats, but the Bills have to in order to vindicate Rex.

It's just unfortunate for the Bills that they have had to deal with HOF HCs within their division for so many years. First it was D. Shula. Then B. Parcells. And now B. Belichick.

The point of this thread was simply to point out that Rex Ryan is a very capable NFL HC. Capable of beating the very best that the NFL has to offer. Even with the deck stacked against him (i.e. with so many of his best players out), he managed to beat one of the top three teams in the entire league.

The Bills controlled the game from the beginning. Rex's defense forced five 3-and-outs in a row to start the game against a very high scoring team with probably the best play caller in the league. It was Rex Ryan vs Bruce Arians and Rex won.......and it wasn't even close.

It's easy......extremely easy.............to say the Bills suck, the coach sucks, fire the coach. But firing the coach means starting from scratch and I really don't want to do that at this point.

if this team can get back the vital players that I mentioned above and soon they can make a run at the playoffs with Rex as the HC.

Hey FireRex, why don't you ask Carson Palmer what he thinks of Rex Ryan's defense???

Yes, it's a big task to ask him to beat the Pats at home when they are 3-0. But he's put himself in this spot by starting 1-2.

As for Palmer, you clearly on a mission here because you ignore other posts I've made. I've given him props for yesterday. He did all the things I would love to see him do. If the team showed up like that every week, none of us would have issues with Rex.

But unfortunately, that's not the case. He's 1-2 in getting his team prepared and ready to play. Also, feel free to read my signature for more of my opinion.

What I don't understand is where your thread was last week, the week before, or at the end of last season where he tanked the 4th rated defense.