Is Chad Kelly not Jim Kelly incarnate?

Virgil

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, Chad Kelly is the perfect flyer for the Bills. Low risk, high rewards. The Bills could pick him up in the late rounds or as an UDFA, and let him learn on the practice squad for a while. Maybe he just needs a good humbling.....

If he's not been humbled yet, it won't happen now. Got kicked out of his first HS in Pennsylvania, ended up at St. Joe's. Got kicked out of Clemson, had to go the JUCO route. Signed for Ole Miss and then threatens to shoot up a bar because of an argument with a bouncer. Now this. The kid just doesn't care about his football future.

Yeah I have too couple guys dropped in my rankings

Will update it once I get to office

Class isn't looking that promising as a QB class TBH. I like Kizer. People are high on the kid from NC but I'll admit i have yet to watch him play.

Seen a bunch of Watson - he looks... i dunno OK i guess? I don't know what I'm looking for when evaluating college kids though.

Honestly, Chad Kelly is the perfect flyer for the Bills. Low risk, high rewards. The Bills could pick him up in the late rounds or as an UDFA, and let him learn on the practice squad for a while. Maybe he just needs a good humbling.....

And when he gets arrested for that 4am fight on Chippewa, we can all blame Whaley.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

And when he gets arrested for that 4am fight on Chippewa, we can all blame Whaley.

Who hasn't been arrested at 4AM on Chippewa?!

For a while there, allen was getting pretty bad. They had to shut hardware down because of all the fighting going on outside there. I've been keeping to the north towns for the last few years now.

Agree. Whatever draft stock he may have had is plummeting.

On field is around a late 2nd to mid 3rd round grade for me. However injury flags and off field flags earliest I would touch him is 4th but might take him off my board. . However interviews and drug test at Combine could stop the slip.

On field is around a late 2nd to mid 3rd round grade for me. However injury flags and off field flags earliest I would touch him is 4th but might take him off my board. . However interviews and drug test at Combine could stop the slip.

On field, I've toyed around with it. I grade into distinct structures so he's flirted with the toolsy developmental grade (3rd round-ish) and the long shot developmental QB (5th-6th, same as Cardale). I don't think the injury is a huge concern but it probably pushes him closer to the latter, especially considering the time he'll likely miss as a rookie.

Off-field stuff was always a UDFA grade for me. I don't shy away from it, I think Chad is nuts. Only time I'd pull the trigger on him is when he does something worthy of capital punishment.

Class isn't looking that promising as a QB class TBH. I like Kizer. People are high on the kid from NC but I'll admit i have yet to watch him play.

Seen a bunch of Watson - he looks... i dunno OK i guess? I don't know what I'm looking for when evaluating college kids though.

Updated my Watchlist finally. Right now I only have 2 1st round graded QBs (Turbinksy - top QB and Watson)

The Bills shouldn't waste their time with Chad. If he's going to grow up anywhere I highly doubt it's Buffalo. They already have Cardale. They need to add a QB that's not as much of a project like a veteran backup who can battle Cardale for the #2 spot. I'm fine to draft another one too but wouldn't use a draft pick on Swag Kelly.

The Bills shouldn't waste their time with Chad. If he's going to grow up anywhere I highly doubt it's Buffalo. They already have Cardale. They need to add a QB that's not as much of a project like a veteran backup who can battle Cardale for the #2 spot. I'm fine to draft another one too but wouldn't use a draft pick on Swag Kelly.

If they elect to draft a QB instead of signing a vet I am hoping for the "safe" type of prospect. Cardale is the high ceiling project but you can't have 2 projects behind Tyrod. Maybe a CJ Beathard type? I don't really like his upside but feels like the "solid backup type." I would much rather fill that role in FA and let Cardale keep developing.

If we took him I wonder how much help we might be able to get out of his family to keep him straight.

He is going to go exactly where I wanna take a QB......3rd to 4th round with high upside. We need a hit the ground running stud safety in the worst way.

Has anyone ever listened to Chad Kelly talk? He sounds block headed and unintelligent. Now I don't know him personally but everything I've read or heard leads me to believe he won't cut it as an NFL QB. That said I'd still take a late round flyer on him and see what he's got.

Has anyone ever listened to Chad Kelly talk? He sounds block headed and unintelligent. Now I don't know him personally but everything I've read or heard leads me to believe he won't cut it as an NFL QB. That said I'd still take a late round flyer on him and see what he's got.

If you don't believe that he will be an NFL QB why would you want to pick him?

I loved watching the kid play. He makes throws many others can't and is athletic and aware enough to keep plays alive even when he probably shouldn't. He's a "Never Give Up" kind of guy but the trouble is that he doesn't know when backing down in the face of a challenge is the wise thing to do. I think Mississippi and Hugh Freeze have been good for him but I would be concerned if he were not surrounded by the right kind of people.

Best game I saw him play was against Arkansas in 2015. There were plenty of protection breakdowns but it did not matter because he was beating pressure the entire game. They lost in overtime on some of the craziest kinds of plays you'll ever see. His statline:

Arkansas L 53-52 (OT) 24 34 368 70.6 3 0 11 110 10.0 3

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

Take away the fact he was kicked out of high school, kicked out of Clemson, fighting bouncers and terroristic threats, trying to fight high schoolers, and now smoking weed... Even without all that he's not and never was NFL material. You can get by in college on talent alone. Doesn't work like that in the NFL. Tons of way more talented players have tried and failed. Ryan Leaf, Jemarcus Russel, Johnny Manziel. The list goes on and on. You need to have focus, dedication, intelligence, leadership, poise. Hes as dumb as a rock, he has no chance. He might get a shot as a UDFAbut his best chance is in Canada

Don't sleep on Sefo Liufau/Colorado. Troubling injury history, but at this age you can never tell if a guy's just brittle and likely to get hurt again and again, or just a victim of bad luck. Anyway, he looks healthy know and he's making plays with his running as well as his arm. I think he goes all the way up to the 2nd round if he stays healthy, and yes, I'd use a 2nd rounder on him, maybe even a low 1st.

I'm in the camp that doesn't think he's good enough to be an NFL star just based on talent, too many on field bad choices. Having said that, Chad Kelly likely could have a fairly long NFL career as he'll show just enough amazing talent that some team will always take a chance on him, likely at backup salaries, but he'll stick around for awhile.