NFL Television ratings

jaybee

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The saturation point is well taken. I'm old enough to remember when you counted down the clock to 12:30 when the pregame show came on. Now you can start watching at 7am. Or maybe earlier. With all the $$$ to be had, it destroyed all the mystery of it.

These days, if I have everything done. I just put FOX/CBS on at 12:40 only for the live look-ins to get the crowd energy. I make sure my fantasy team is set and turn up the volume when they are actually kicking the ball off.

As a poster said, too many other things to do to blow up a whole day for. MNF is so bad, that sometimes I forget it's on.

A very comprehensive breakdown showing how the refs let Green Bay get away with holding on almost every play vs the Lions:

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/9/28/13052206/film-breakdown-fair-officiating-holding-lions-packers

Almost every play their is holding. If they throw a flag for every minor transgression the game be 6 hours long.

Two theories for discussion:

#1. Is it because the NFL employs more and more men that aren't "likeable"?

Professional wrestling had it right in the 1980s. They understood you needed the heroes and the heels. NFL today, it seems like coaches and players alike enjoy being the heel via on field actions or off it. Outside of wins and loses, is there enough players and coaches that are generally likeable human beings playing the game today?

#2 Peyton Manning retired and a lot of people were simply interested in watching him and he was very popular with a swath of football audience that didn't care about the game, but did enjoy watching him and his career.

There are plenty of good guys but aside from a piece showing player helping out some place it is barely covered but the douches with their "look at me acts" (yes I am for the No Fun League), dissing opponents, on field antics which have nothing to do with football get the attention both during the game and by talk media.

Top 3 national tv programs week ending 9/12/6:

1. Sunday night Football

2. Sunday night Pre Kick

3.Thurday Night Football

In 2015-16 top 5 TV programs: #2 Sunday Night Football, #4 Thursday Night Football..

This thread is a lot of noise signifying nothing..

1. Sunday night Football

2. Sunday night Pre Kick

3.Thurday Night Football

In 2015-16 top 5 TV programs: #2 Sunday Night Football, #4 Thursday Night Football..

It's not nothing to the networks, who need numbers of viewers to charge the advertising rates that pay the players salaries. Those companies bank on reaching x number of millions every Sunday. While NFL football is still the surest thing going on TV ( they will still have the highest rated program in a given week) , the sponsors will probably want to know what the NFL is going to do about losing those millions of viewers.

I think there's something to it…but it has been something developing slowly in the background over a long time….and I think there will be a quickening if they keep things going the way they have

FWIW: Here are some things that I feel may have contributed

Too many commercials

Too much over-production of the telecast…robots, country singers and stupid intro's, extra special reports from female reporters (Fox and ESPN are main culprits). Everything over the top.

Too many nationally televised games (MNF used to be a huge format and an event…too hard to get the marquis match ups and many games are blowouts...everything has a watered down feel now yet they still broadcast it like it's a huge event)

Too much tinkering with the game for the purists

With the CTE backstory, many parents no longer want to glorify this game to their kids

Too corporate and too political: this game is part of people's weekends and they don't need to cross the streams

Disney/ABC/ESPN: Dancing with the freaking stars being plugged on the NFL telecast. The pink bow was enough for awareness…now it's a joke.

Game is regressing, Talent is watered down…just not enough top quality QB's to go around. We know that too well.

FANTASY: those with fantasy teams only want to watch NFL Red Zone…they do not care about engaging a single game - just stats

i watch RedZone because I've had it with the commercial interruptions. RedZone "flows" better than any individual game bc its all football action all the time. I get football for 3 hrs , not 22 minutes of action in 3 hours.

1. Sunday night Football

2. Sunday night Pre Kick

3.Thurday Night Football

Nobody is saying that football doesn't still draw a viewership. We are discussing the degradation of the product quality - with turning off being a remedy for some. Your stats do not account for a decreasing overall TV viewership (across all programming). Not a surprise that football owns the top slots with the cesspool that network TV has become. Comparing the actual numbers of the top rated programs vs. past years would have been more meaningful to your assessment.

I would bet that nearly every meaningful statistic that the NFL uses to gauge it's product is trending out of favor.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/09/27/nfl-ratings-drop-across-the-board-in-week-3/

Edited by filthymcnasty08

Nobody is saying that football doesn't still draw a viewership. We are discussing the degradation of the product quality - with turning off being a remedy for some. Your stats do not account for a decreasing overall TV viewership (across all programming). Not a surprise that football owns the top slots with the cesspool that network TV has become. Comparing the actual numbers of the top rated programs vs. past years would have been more meaningful to your assessment.

I would bet that nearly every meaningful statistic that the NFL uses to gauge it's product is trending out of favor.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/09/27/nfl-ratings-drop-across-the-board-in-week-3/

But from an advertiser perspective if the top shows are still football shows then they are still the ones for which advertisers will pay top whack. So for the moment there is not much for the NFL to worry about. Advertiser says "hey NFL I want to pay you less cos you lost 1 million viewers". NFL says "the price is the same Mr advertiser. Pay it or pay less and go advertise on other shows that still bring you many fewer viewers than we do."

It's not nothing to the networks, who need numbers of viewers to charge the advertising rates that pay the players salaries. Those companies bank on reaching x number of millions every Sunday. While NFL football is still the surest thing going on TV ( they will still have the highest rated program in a given week) , the sponsors will probably want to know what the NFL is going to do about losing those millions of viewers.

But from an advertiser perspective if the top shows are still football shows then they are still the ones for which advertisers will pay top whack. So for the moment there is not much for the NFL to worry about. Advertiser says "hey NFL I want to pay you less cos you lost 1 million viewers". NFL says "the price is the same Mr advertiser. Pay it or pay less and go advertise on other shows that still bring you many fewer viewers than we do."

GunnerBill is correct again. NFL is not being challenged as the number one network product. It won't be either.

It doesn't matter if the TV watching public is fractioning to dozens of new providers of content---the number one watched show in the USA names its price. Advertisers are always going to focus the most buck on the biggest bang.

Again, crappy early season prime time matchups lead to lower ratings. This isn't hard to understand.

GunnerBill is correct again. NFL is not being challenged as the number one network product. It won't be either.

It doesn't matter if the TV watching public is fractioning to dozens of new providers of content---the number one watched show in the USA names its price. Advertisers are always going to focus the most buck on the biggest bang.

Again, crappy early season prime time matchups lead to lower ratings. This isn't hard to understand.

It may not be hard to understand, but it also may not be accurate. Advertisers will not pay the same price if the number of eyeballs watching the product continues to go down, regardless of it's place in the standings.

The commercials make football unwatchable. There is no flow. I watch Champions league soccer- there is flow. Hockey- there is flow. NFL = no flow.

That is by far my biggest turnoff to football. But there is lots of excellent points here- pregame clowns trying to outdress one another, stupid suspensions, reactionary policy, bad officiating, over saturation, over production, etc. I don't know how you !@#$ up the NFL, but Goodall has. !@#$ him

I follow the NFL just as much as I used to, but I watch the games a lot less. IN the past (10+ years ago), I had season tickets to the bills, watched EVERY MINUTE of every road game they played, and usually watched 90% of the other games on TV. Now, I'm down to watching 50% of the Bills games and maybe 1 or 2 other NFL games per month.

However, I still follow the NFL as much as I did. I don't play fantasy, but I still read all the boxscores, read recaps of the games, listen to a bit of talk radio (not too much). So what has changed? I can think of 2 main things:

1. I HATE the personality of the commentators. Some of my friends say i'm "not fun", but I don't want ex players or loud mouth media guys shouting at each other and debating if every other player is the best ever week after week. I don't really want their opinions (I hate hearing their opinions most of the time), what I want is to have someone report the facts. It has gotten so bad, I tune out most of the time, literally.

2. There is very little chance in any game I am going to see something I haven't seen already. Sure, every game is different and the players are different, but nothing really jumps out at me. I still enjoy the game to a certain extent, but after years and years, you don't have much new to look forward to.

The commercials make football unwatchable. There is no flow. I watch Champions league soccer- there is flow. Hockey- there is flow. NFL = no flow.

That is by far my biggest turnoff to football. But there is lots of excellent points here- pregame clowns trying to outdress one another, stupid suspensions, reactionary policy, bad officiating, over saturation, over production, etc. I don't know how you !@#$ up the NFL, but Goodall has. !@#$ him

I like college football. Much better flow. The ref's just make the calls very quickly and move on. Ball spotting is faster. There are fewer TV timeouts.

@sportingnews

Player protests aren’t the reason behind the NFL’s declining TV ratings; a poor product and bad decisions are. http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-tv-ratings-colin-kaepernick-protests-poor-product-officiating-injuries-concussions/1g7wnxxk67kbp1mdwinajupivq

Ct7E5S4W8AAvxTd.jpg

His premise is that player protests aren't to blame for the ratings dip. He lists a bunch of other factors.

Yet he concludes that:

"Most, if not all, of these issues are merely continuations of last year and the years before."

Because.....

"The ratings are showing something now. It’s actually not unreasonable to blame it on the element that didn’t exist last season, players kneeling or raising a fist during a portion of the game that even now hardly gets televised."

What useless piece that was..

Commercials ruin the game on TV and for those attending the game. Nothing worse than seeing the commercial break guy stepping out on the field signaling that play will be halted while Corporate America is pushing beer and boner pills down the throats of the men watching tv. Over-exposure does hurt. There is absolutely no reason to play games on Thursday nights. It is horrible for the players who only get a few days rest from the pounding they took on Sunday, but hey, the bottom line is more important than the players' health. I also think the push for games overseas hurt. How do the fans of the teams that give up home games to play in London benefit? I'll watch RedZone to keep track of the Bills' game, but otherwise I really couldn't care less about the NFL.