So how much more Simplified can the Pop Warner offense Be

MAJBobby

is still true. Execution wins games. Skilled players with precision execution wins lots of games. Smart-skilled players with precision execution wins championships. It is difficult to have precision when there are a ton of different plays. Jack of all plays, master of none, IMO.

Yep.

It seems like coaches think that it is up to them to outsmart each other. But in reality good coaching is more about teaching fundamentals and creating an environment for your most talented players to outplay the other team's less talented players.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard Thurman Thomas state, with a laugh, that they only had a handful of running plays during the Superbowl years.

Including the draw play out of the shotgun :thumbsup:

Very true, although I give the posters on this board more credit about knowing about football than you :) . Schwart's D's are generally regarded as "simpler." I think an announcer commented on it during MNF stating that players love it because it allows them to use their skills to actually play. You still need smart players who understand how to employ their skills in a "simple" system.

Trust me....the ones that are spamming the board to death do not know more......see that is the fallacy that is killing the board....parot something enough times and it MUST be true.

The bills are losing games right now.....which is amplifying it further.....but they do NOT know more....they know less and are happy they think they are being proven right

Chris BrownVerified account ‏@ChrisBrownBills 14m14 minutes ago

McCoy - I have a lot of confidence in coach Lynn. I think we have a pretty good game plan. The plays will be simplified a lot. #Bills

Chris Brown ‏@ChrisBrownBills 8m8 minutes ago

McCoy-on if things were 2 complex- it was a thinking offense. If everybody can't grasp might require simplifying things. Less plays #Bills

Chris Brown ‏@ChrisBrownBills 3m3 minutes ago

Tyrod- coach Lynn's play call upstairs on game day will go straight to me in the helmet on game day. No relay to sideline & then in. #Bills

So where did they going before with Roman?????

Chris Brown ‏@ChrisBrownBills 2m2 minutes ago

Tyrod confirms taking volume of offense away to allow players to play fast. #Bills

Ahhh Dumb Football IQ players Awesome Bills....

So i will field one of these. The last one.

Tyrod was being poked and got pissed. Not that most would notice. It was his smart aleck answer. Media was really trying to catch him in that " presser"

When you start calling players like Tyrod dumb , i am losing respect for you. And i suspect an agenda.

but if that's going to be your gig, have at it. You have enough company. Shame you will wasting your football knowledge with bias though.

Chris BrownVerified account @ChrisBrownBills 14m14 minutes ago

McCoy - I have a lot of confidence in coach Lynn. I think we have a pretty good game plan. The plays will be simplified a lot. #Bills

Chris Brown @ChrisBrownBills 8m8 minutes ago

McCoy-on if things were 2 complex- it was a thinking offense. If everybody can't grasp might require simplifying things. Less plays #Bills

Chris Brown @ChrisBrownBills 3m3 minutes ago

Tyrod- coach Lynn's play call upstairs on game day will go straight to me in the helmet on game day. No relay to sideline & then in. #Bills

So where did they going before with Roman?????

Chris Brown @ChrisBrownBills 2m2 minutes ago

Tyrod confirms taking volume of offense away to allow players to play fast. #Bills

Ahhh Dumb Football IQ players Awesome Bills....

It's worth noting that more than one group of players, faced with a coaching change and a much improved unit with almost the same players, has said something to the effect "Coach Speedy simplified from what Coach XOXO had and that lets us play fast". Example: 2010 Texans, DC Frank Bush, league rank on D 29/30th, 6-10. 2011 Texans, DC Wade Phillips, league rank on D 4th/2nd, 10-6. Were there other, offsetting factors? Sure, but the players credited simplification and letting them play fast with the change.

It's also worth noting that Rex's PhD-level D seemed to be a downgrade on Schwarz relatively straightforward, "play fast" defense.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Actually Thurman Thomas talked about this yesterday and it has nothing to do with IQ. It's about streamlining, knowing what works and playing faster.

Thank gosh someone gets the point.

So we should be happy that, Roman opened up his playbook and our 92M QB and others couldn't handle an opened up playbook that really still looked like a Pop Warner offense.

Same excuse Rex used oops my defense was to complex needed to simplify it.. Guess what was still bad

Have you ever Coached Pop Warner or ar you just throwing cute terms to define a simple state of comprehension?

Yes. you are.

You do not like rex and you are unhappy. i get that too. But don't be insulting by telling me when and what makes me happy.

and you are out of context.

again.

Very true, the key is does the D know what you are doing and if so are you good enough to still beat them doing it.

As much as I am loathe to agree with you ( LOL ). I do.

This is what we are going to do. See if you can stop it.

I love that kind of football.

Reading between the lines, it sure sounds like Roman outsmarted himself by setting up dummy plays that were meant to payoff later. But it also seems as though nobody was fooled. Not in the setup NOR in the counter.

Or the QB just sucks. I'll guess we'll find out!

You are one to the heart of the Matter BC.

Roman's game was exactly that. A very long sighted set em up plan. Evil genius kinda thinking. I really hoped he could make it work. and who knows maybe over time he would have. But time is not your friend in the NFL. And TT's regression, the run game falling off, had the looks of utter confusion in the Offense

So i will field one of these. The last one.

Tyrod was being poked and got pissed. Not that most would notice. It was his smart aleck answer. Media was really trying to catch him in that " presser"

When you start calling players like Tyrod dumb , i am losing respect for you. And i suspect an agenda.

but if that's going to be your gig, have at it. You have enough company. Shame you will wasting your football knowledge with bias though.

You "suspect" an agenda? LOL, this guy is making 2 out of every 5 posts on TSW., and they all say the same thing. S

Dear sweet baby Jesus, if you are indeed up there, please let that old proverb that says "the star that burns brightest burns fastest" hold true....

New playbook

6500516.gif?269

most excellent. all about executing.

You win the thread.

and i sure laughed. well done Joe !!!

They could only run the plays to the right or the left instead of running the same play in different directions. Maybe some of these guys aren't ambiturners.

back to the Zoolander reference i see ?

especially when it favors your bitching right?

As if our QB NEVER hits a open receiver....newsflash.....EVERY QB.....every qb...misses receivers

Actually my retort was... if he would actually throw to the open Receiver"s"

yes i play both sides of the line and old school is right about the jets game

Yep.

It seems like coaches think that it is up to them to outsmart each other. But in reality good coaching is more about teaching fundamentals and creating an environment for your most talented players to outplay the other team's less talented players.

Good post.

Simple can work... Remember "43 is the mike" followed by ne gaining 10 yards on the ground? They legit ran the exact play 7 times in a row and we couldn't stop them. Anything that keeps ej hard count plays on the sideline

Oh the memories of our Hybrid LB/S

You "suspect" an agenda? LOL, this guy is making 2 out of every 5 posts on TSW., and they all say the same thing. S

Dear sweet baby Jesus, if you are indeed up there, please let that old proverb that says "the star that burns brightest burns fastest" hold true....

Well Ten.

I have this obtuse method of looking over and speaking. If it is a thread i have yet to read? I start at the very beginning and work my way back to front. Not quite relevant always , but i have to call em when i read em. And that was the first one.

As i near the end, i see the trend has not helped out beloved MAJbobby.

shame that.

Burrs in the saddle and a scorpion in the boot give a cowboy a bad day. I am willing to look the other way come tomorrow as i do with all matters of passion.

Bills bring the best and worst out from our decrepit souls.

I've decided complicated really just means too scripted and over coordinated.... Kind of the opposite of run and shoot.

In a nifty way you have me thinking.

Tyrod IS overthinking.

Over scripted was the key word and it fits Roman to a T.

Let them run and shoot, point and pull, stab and grab.

whatever it takes to let TT just play football.

Even if it is Pop Warner.

In regards to simplifying.....

Aside from Tyrod supposidly being a horrible qb that had no business ever being in the top 10 of several qb stats last year.....what are other problems?

OL are whiffing blocks horribly.....I saw Cog whif a block on a screen in one of the games that go horribly blown up that probably would have gone for long yardage.

Time outs being used because of confusion

Plays getting into the huddle late

Penalties......this can also be caused by confusion

If we are going to look at why the offense is not working then lets be realistic and not pin it in one place.....because if it was THAT simple they could just replace that spot

Actually my retort was... if he would actually throw to the open Receiver"s"

yes i play both sides of the line and old school is right about the jets game

Yes he was

If only it was just the jets game and not every game Tyrod has played......go back and read the agenda

In regards to simplifying.....

Aside from Tyrod supposidly being a horrible qb that had no business ever being in the top 10 of several qb stats last year.....what are other problems?

OL are whiffing blocks horribly.....I saw Cog whif a block on a screen in one of the games that go horribly blown up that probably would have gone for long yardage.

Time outs being used because of confusion

Plays getting into the huddle late

Penalties......this can also be caused by confusion

If we are going to look at why the offense is not working then lets be realistic and not pin it in one place.....because if it was THAT simple they could just replace that spot

Undisciplined mess that has yet to diagnose a weakness in an opposing defense and attack it time and time again and force adjustments which will benefit your running game. The gameplan seemed to be more of a script of plays with limited reads than anything else. Baltimore week 1 and they weren't able to exploit any match ups in the secondary?

One good play call all year, sending Goodwin deep on Revis. They did nothing to take advantage of an over aggressive Marcus Williams etc. etc. No doubt there is room for improvement, playing AZ your first week as OC must suck though.