So how much more Simplified can the Pop Warner offense Be

MAJBobby

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So excited for Sunday. I cant wait to watch the speed of this offense spread out AZ and put pressure on them.

Sammy is going to finally get some screens and play very well.

1st win here we come.

Big win coming. Bills 24 AZ 10

Edited by MAJBobby

I've said this in another thread - for me it's not about the plays, scheme or complexity. It's about adapting to what the defense is doing and going against it. It's about setting the defense up. It's something that as an OC if you're QB isn't ready for helping with that role - the majority of that falls on your shoulders. Tyrod doesn't appear ready to change the play or tell the OC what he wants to do. We'll see if Lynn is better at it than Roman.

So excited for Sunday. I cant wait to watch the speed of this offense spread out AZ and put pressure on them.

Sammy is going to finally get some screens and play very well.

1st win here we come.

Big win coming. Bills 24 AZ 10

....and the award for Best Actor on an Internet Message Board goes to......

Does anyone remember when Roman first joined the team?

His massive play book and complexity of looks/schemes were touted as great things for us and bad for opposing defenses.

He could run 8 plays out of one formation and keep opposing defenses off balance.

Good times.

not sure why y'all are coming down on the players for this, it is very possible that the system was bloated, and a scaled back playbook will work with a lot more efficiency, it doesn't mean the players are too dumb to get it, proof will be in the pudding going forward

Exactly!! Why have 600 plays in your book if you cant get one (play) into the huddle on time! Fewer plays means calls {that work} will come in to the huddle sooner. Sooner means a faster offense with the ability to check out of plays that don't fit the defensive alignment. TT has not had enough time to do this last year and this. We shall see if this makes a difference but I'm anxious to see what happens Sunday. However, a win is going to be tough!

I have heard Thurman Thomas state, with a laugh, that they only had a handful of running plays during the Superbowl years.

If you have really good players and they execute familiar plays really well, I guess that is enough.

Or at least it was 25 years ago.

How complicated is the Pats*** offense?

Another good point!!. Their offense is based on SPEED BABY!! Short routes and timing. They have at the line to check out of plays, snap the ball and release the ball in 2 seconds or less

I realize that there are a lot of fans that dont know a lot about football on this board......that much is obvious from the comments the last couple of weeks

but "complicated" does not auto mean "good"

and

"simple" does not automatically mean bad

If the Offense can actually EXECUTE what is being called.....it looks great no matter how simple it is

Very true, although I give the posters on this board more credit about knowing about football than you :) . Schwart's D's are generally regarded as "simpler." I think an announcer commented on it during MNF stating that players love it because it allows them to use their skills to actually play. You still need smart players who understand how to employ their skills in a "simple" system.

Edited by RyanC883

I realize that there are a lot of fans that don't know a lot about football on this board......that much is obvious from the comments the last couple of weeks

but "complicated" does not auto mean "good" and

"simple" does not automatically mean bad

If the Offense can actually EXECUTE what is being called.....it looks great no matter how simple it is

You're exactly right.

People also forget (or maybe many here aren't old enough to have experienced it) that in the 1990's, the great Bills team and the great Broncos team were both incredibly successful using incredibly simple and limited offensive schemes.

The logic behind simplifying your offense is to allow the players to "play more natural football" and using your raw talent to beat the opponent instead of calling complicated plays that players have to think about a lot in order to execute.

In a complicated system it is also much harder to have everyone on the same page. If the quarterback tries to think and analyze too much it can affect his play in a negative way. He may hesitate for a second that effs up the play. If a receiver or blocker has a mental misstep, it can result in a sack or an interception.

How many times have you seen plays where the receiver runs one route and the QB expected him to do something else? Simplifying an offense is a way to reduce those types of problems and get your talent guys playing more natural football focusing on their raw talent rather than trying to outsmart the other team.

I think it is a very smart decision to simplify the offense and it is a positive step in the right direction based on the productivity so far.

I have heard Thurman Thomas state, with a laugh, that they only had a handful of running plays during the Superbowl years.

If you have really good players and they execute familiar plays really well, I guess that is enough.

Or at least it was 25 years ago.

is still true. Execution wins games. Skilled players with precision execution wins lots of games. Smart-skilled players with precision execution wins championships. It is difficult to have precision when there are a ton of different plays. Jack of all plays, master of none, IMO.

Edited by RyanC883

Very true, although I give the posters on this board more credit about knowing about football than you :) . Schwart's D's are generally regarded as "simpler." I think an announcer commented on it during MNF stating that players love it because it allows them to use their skills to actually play. You still need smart players who understand how to employ their skills in a "simple" system.

So we dont have elite players. Because i bet players like Luke Kuechley, Brady, AJ Green, Larry Fitz never needed their system simplified.