How is Watkins?

gjv001

Because I am taking on the personality of this HC

Good comeback!

My biggest gripe with Sammy is not that he had to have surgery for a fracture...yes, I understand that. It was the fact that he finished the season and then waited until April or May to have the surgery. He could have had it on January 4th (or whenever our season ended). He put off the inevitable and the result was a rushed recovery with lingering problems. Not sure whose decision it was to delay the surgery 4 months, but that was boneheaded IMO.

Yeah, good questions. Like many medical issues, the Devil is in the Details. From American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society webpage:

"Zone 2 fractures are typically known as Jones fractures. They occur at the intersection between the base and the shaft of the fifth metatarsal (figure 1). These fractures are known to have a higher chance of not healing (nonunion). They are also at risk of refracture even after healing. Surgical treatment is commonly performed for these fractures."

"If I have a zone 2 fracture of the base of the fifth metatarsal, will I jeopardize my chance of bone healing if I try nonoperative treatment first?

Most of these breaks will go on to heal after 12 weeks with appropriate treatment. The nonunion rate of these fractures may still be as high as 15 to 20 percent. A fracture that fails to heal and is painful may require surgical repair. The surgery can be more difficult at that point and can require a bone graft. "

"When should I avoid surgery? Surgery is not indicated in a fracture where there is an infection or severely damaged soft tissue."

"Some complications can result in the need for repeat surgery. The metatarsal fracture may not heal and can become a nonunion. Another rare but serious complication is a re-fracture after fixation. Some patients may be at greater risk for poor healing or re-fracture due to the shape of their foot. A high-arched foot or a heel that turns in can put extra pressure on the fifth metatarsal and affect healing."

When the news broke in May, Mike Garafolo tweeted:

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo On Sammy Watkins' foot surgery (reported by @TyDunne): He played thru stress fractures last year, surgery done a few weeks ago.

3:51 PM - 16 May 2016

Assuming this is true, Watkins may have ended the season with a hairline or partial fracture for which surgery was not indicated and full recovery was expected. He went through 8-12 weeks booting (mid-April, right? timing fits), then went to OTAs in April, had pain, got checked out, and lo and behold a partial fracture had become a full disunion that was going to need surgery. It sucks, but it happens. Or, he may have had a full fracture at the end of last season but given its specific location, wanted to ride the 80-85% odds that it would heal without surgery (having a screw stuck in your foot is not a risk-free option). Or he may have had an infection, or a soft tissue injury.

Who knows, my point is there are possibilities other than "the Bills medical staff and/or Sammy are boneheads". Medicine still part art, part science, part luck. There are still some strange aspects to the story, but it may just be the lack of full information to which we as fans have no right.

Would getting Sammy a pair of steel toed doc martins help?

Brudda?

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has no one on TBD ever been injured? Ya'll working your little jobs acting like a foot injury is no biggie... :beer:

Hell, I broke my ankle two years ago and it still hurts when I go skate for a couple hours. Last weekend it was sore as hell from a Saturday session, but you guys would have been proud - I gutted it out for another Sunday morning session.

I'm torn, while I'd love to see Sammy out there, feet and ankles are funny - lotsa little bones down there that one can tweak that will hurt like a MoFo. Can definitely see if affect ones ability to run and I don't think it makes one soft because they can't run on a broke foot.

Has no one on TBD ever been injured? Ya'll working your little jobs acting like a foot injury is no biggie... :beer:

Hell, I broke my ankle two years ago and it still hurts when I go skate for a couple hours. Last weekend it was sore as hell from a Saturday session, but you guys would have been proud - I gutted it out for another Sunday morning session.

I'm torn, while I'd love to see Sammy out there, feet and ankles are funny - lotsa little bones down there that one can tweak that will hurt like a MoFo. Can definitely see if affect ones ability to run and I don't think it makes one soft because they can't run on a broke foot.

His foot is not broken.

There is no structural damage, it's simply sore post surgery, which is normal.

He's just a kitty who isn't up to the rigors of his job, and is looking for any excuse to not play.

I can't keep up with the Bills anymore. This started last year when a player would come out of game without an issue seemingly, and then we'd find out two days later that they're not playing the next game.

Now, I can't keep up between injuries, possible injuries, suspensions, gaining weight, smoking pot, etc.

So, my question is when did Sammy get hurt? His last game of last year, he had a huge game. Doesn't play anymore games, and now appears to have Bill Walton's feet.

I am current ly orking and I have shingles and it feels like I have been beaten in the rib cage with a bat... No work = no pay. Funny how not having millions already banked gives you a little bit more motivation

id like to add that I personally have a broken foot. I Have sprained my ankles both before and fractured my Tibia all the way up to my knee as a result of the stress from my Tibia forcing my Fibula completely off my Talus. I have had tendon, ligament damage as well. I also have Gout that I suffer from at any given time and could last days. And I have been gifted by heredity, the joy of having Bunions.

Let me just say that I go to work every single day without complaint. I wear hard rubber soles, no give boots all day in sore and concrete floors. I would dare say that I have more foot and ankle problems than most professional athletes.

Sammy is a Kitty.

id like to add that I personally have a broken foot. I Have sprained my ankles both before and fractured my Tibia all the way up to my knee as a result of the stress from my Tibia forcing my Fibula completely off my Talus. I have had tendon, ligament damage as well. I also have Gout that I suffer from at any given time and could last days. And I have been gifted by heredity, the joy of having Bunions.

Let me just say that I go to work every single day without complaint. I wear hard rubber soles, no give boots all day in sore and concrete floors. I would dare say that I have more foot and ankle problems than most professional athletes.

Sammy is a Kitty.

How is your release off the lunch line? Are you getting separation from top inmates? How is your ability to cut? Are you still able to walk every patrol in your patrol tree?

Who is Chaz-Michael Michael?

Who is Chaz-Michael Michael?

Sammy Watkins - an turf devouring sex tornado, spawned in the hellfire of Fort Meyers!

He runs runs routes to one song, and one song only - lady humps, but the Black Eyed Peas. NO ONE KNOWS WHAT IT MEANS, BUT IT'S PROVOCATIVE!