Willing to discuss changes.....but lets discuss options

I really like this clear, level-headed thinking.

I take one exception: Whaley seems to be great at finding talent, in the draft or FA. We should try to keep him around until he becomes less "green" about the total duty package of an NFL gm. Maybe condition the new GM has to keep Whaley as AGM?

I beg to differ. Let's set aside obvious talent that everyone would have wanted, the only question being at what price. In other words, no counting Sammy, Clay, Gilmore, McCoy - those are guys he either paid big money to or used high draft picks on. And I can't count Incognito since that wasn't really of the "I find talent where others miss" category; it was the team taking a flyer on a guy who was considered so toxic that he was out of the league for a year. That leaves us with:

- Jerry Hughes. Big win.

- Tyrod. Good signing, but as to whether it's a big win, well, time will tell, and his stock is dropping fast.

- Darby. This is cheating a bit since his talent was well known and he was a "character issues" guy.

- Hogan. A really nice pickup, but now he's gone.

- Karlos. See Darby, but this 50/50 character issues guy went the wrong way.

- Corey Graham. Solid player, not really a "find" - o.k. safety, paid like one.

Am I missing anyone? Corbin Bryant maybe? That's not exactly a player to hang your reputation on. A rejuvenated Reggie Bush? Where are they hiding him? Salas? Gillislee? Really? Against that we have:

- EJ. Bust. And in retrospect, obviously drafted too high.

- Goodwin/Graham. Barely contributed

- Koundjio/Richardson. The double bust O line draft.

- Duke/Meeks. The double bust safety draft.

- Dez/Da'Rick. The double bust late round or UDFA "big receiver with creatively spelled name" reach that didn't pan out. I know there's no expectations with these guys, but consider for a moment that Quincy Enunwa, who showed up big time last night, was a 6th rounder. Where's Whaley's late-round receiver surprise?

Edited by The Frankish Reich

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beg to differ. Let's set aside obvious talent that everyone would have wanted, the only question being at what price. In other words, no counting Sammy, Clay, Gilmore, McCoy - those are guys he either paid big money to or used high draft picks on. And I can't count Incognito since that wasn't really of the "I find talent where others miss" category; it was the team taking a flyer on a guy who was considered so toxic that he was out of the league for a year. That leaves us with:

- Jerry Hughes. Big win.

- Tyrod. Good signing, but as to whether it's a big win, well, time will tell, and his stock is dropping fast.

- Darby. This is cheating a bit since his talent was well known and he was a "character issues" guy.

Am I missing anyone? Corbin Bryant maybe? That's not exactly a player to hang your reputation on. A rejuvenated Reggie Bush? Where are they hiding him? Salas? Gillislee? Really? Against that we have:

- Dez/Da'Rick. The double bust late round or UDFA "big receiver with creatively spelled name" reach that didn't pan out. I know there's no expectations with these guys, but consider for a moment that Quincy Enunwa, who showed up big time last night, was a 6th rounder. Where's Whaley's late-round receiver surprise?

Stefan Charles was a good find...Urbik a good find...Chandler a good find...all these players played pretty well here off the waiver wire

He was concussed but wanted to act like a tough guy, which ruined his play.

This is big problem I have with Rex and Hotrod. He gets hurt and wants to stay in even though he shouldn't and Rex sends him back in. Last year vs NE he couldn't even throw and he went back in. From seeing his demeanor on the sidelines last night it looked like he needed more time but Rex sent him out there.

We should have let EJ finish the series and then re evaluate IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz

Put me in the Grossly overpaid for Sammy and McCoy camp. We seem to be be creating Whaley for what McCoy did 3 years ago in Philly. He has given us nothing even close and at his price point is a huge bust in my mind.

- Jerry Hughes. Big win.

Put me in the Grossly overpaid for Sammy and McCoy camp. We seem to be be crediting Whaley for what McCoy did 3 years ago in Philly. He has given us nothing even close and at his price point is a huge bust in my mind. Edited by jms62

- Jerry Hughes. Big win.

Yep. Very dismal amount of talent to show for 3 years. Even the most naive will look back after he's finally gone and realize the mediocre job he's done.

Boom!!! EJ threw the best looking 10 yard pass any Bills QB threw all night.

Tyrod launched 1 to goodwin and the Salas td was a broken play. That is not gonna hold up. Fitz had a bunch of short intermediate and long balls. He used the whole field. Tyrod had 297 but 2 passes went for like 130 and how much came in garbage time. The int was a bad throw. I need a qb who can use a whole field. And that 90 mil took everyone's patients away

Glenn and Watkins are the only talented offensive players he has drafted since has been here, including when he was assistant GM. Anyone could have made the Watkins pick(BTW he isn't even the best WR in that draft) and the Glenn pick is an abherration when you look at all the other offensive "talent" that he has drafted.

Perhaps I should have said "identifying talent." Because a GM also gets rid of players who dont fit, or are on the downside.

Mario. Cleofus McKelvin. Jairus. A couple others. Not sure Whaley was GM or AGM for all of these, but without doubt he had input.

I'm not his mother or his wife. Just saying he seems to have an eye. And is prolly worth keeping in the building.

if only it moved the sticks...

I'm still not exactly sure why EJ is our short yardage back either.

Lol I dont know either. Why not use Felton

I too was hoping they would keep Tyrod on the sideline. I think EJ would have done much better, especially with all the time the offensive line was giving him. Tyrod looks shell-shocked, at this point.

Dont mean you. But cue the Trent Edwards fans. He has no swagger because he is like the bully who gets punched for the first time. His story has been written. He was a feel good last year. This is him.

i like roman, but we have personnel that should be running a chan scheme (assuming you could get TT to throw in the middle after creating more space).

I was listening to the Murphy show and I think he hit it on the head. Tyrod would probably do good as a jet and fitz with this bills team. We are set for the crossing rub patterns. We need someone with those thangs and is confident in the throw.

Lol I dont know either. Why not use Felton

Dont mean you. But cue the Trent Edwards fans. He has no swagger because he is like the bully who gets punched for the first time. His story has been written. He was a feel good last year. This is him.

I was listening to the Murphy show and I think he hit it on the head. Tyrod would probably do good as a jet and fitz with this bills team. We are set for the crossing rub patterns. We need someone with those thangs and is confident in the throw.

Exactly!! Go back and look at Woods/Watkins careers in college. They were run after the catch receivers. Not fly patterns, down and out/button hooks guys. I personally would have liked to see how EJ would have faired against the Jets defense. It's getting very discouraging to hear opposing defenses say "they want to make Tyrod a QB"

Rex isnt going to take this team to the playoffs this year....but if we are firing him then who?

To me one of the huge huge problems here is that Roman's running game is NOT WORKING.....

Yes...Tyrod was bad game 1.....and up and down in game 2.....but he is scoring points

As far as the defense? To me the huge problem here is we have to PROTECT our defense....if we have to do that...then Rex Ryan may as well not be our head coach

The running game has been sub par, not sure if it's blocking or Shadys insistence on bouncing everything to the edges. It seemed vs Jets he decided to cut up inside a few times and made some good gains. I do think the O lacks a complement to McCoy like Karlos provided ( unexpectedly ) last season. Maybe it will be J Williams. Tyrod has much to improve on, but his contract gives the Bills all season to evaluate and decide. That will take care of itself. The defense lacks depth , and there is zero pass rush after Hughes. The potential there likely will peak at a middle of the pack unit. They don't need to be protected, but they cannot be absolutely hung out to dry like vs Jets. The O has to get some sustained drives and t.o.p for them to have a chance. This defense doesn't have enough playmaking potential to be dominant. Rex has to do a much better job than he showed vs Jets. You just can't be afraid to blitz a QB like Fitzpatrick, who is virtually a lock to throw it up for grabs when pressured.

I do think the O lacks a complement to McCoy like Karlos provided ( unexpectedly ) last season.

I disagree. We have Gillislee. Finally we get him into the game Thursday and he scores a TD on a great play. Actually in the last month of the season last year he provided this role well when Karlos would get his weekly injury. I believe he had pretty much passed up Karlos on the depth chart anyway.

Boggles my mind why he hadn't got some carries this year. Seems Roman decided that McCoy would get ALL the carries.

If that really happened, which I doubt unless they were kidding, then you sit with a bunch of idiots.

At my house we were glad EJ was coming in too and we weren't kidding. Are you saying EJ did not play well on those 2 plays? I would love to see Hotrod drop back, not hold the ball, and make a nice pass for 10 yards sometime.