Is Russ Brandon to Blame?

Dorkington

His marketing of this team and getting fans to buy into it and sell the place out....is genius. I do not blame him. Whaley has a draft track record that is average at best. Rex was a bad hire. I still say it was a panic move.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing Terry can do for us now is acknowledge his mistake quickly. I see Rex gone by week 6.

He should never have survived last season and I am a continuity guy who has argued in favour of sticking with Doug Marrone and Chan Gailey in the past. Rex is a worse Head Coach than both.

The sooner he is gone the better.

Problem is Pegula was duped into a 5 year contract with Rex, like a fool. The whole thing was a mess.

I don't have faith Pegula know what he's doing, which is why the presence of Russ Brandon is ever the more concerning because I think Terry and Kim really lean on Russ's opinions and advice heavily, which is a huge mistake.

The advice Polian gave to the Pegulas is looking more right by the day. Tyrod is nothing more than a stopgap, and you're absolutely no where as an organization until you find the right QB and the right coaching staff. Right now we have neither.

The jets brought on the 2 consultants the bills should have hired and won 10 games in year one and look pretty good now. Its not rocket science and doesnt need to take 5 years of continuity.

I'm happy for Fitz because liked him, but the Bills weren't going anywhere with him at QB and the Jets aren't going anywhere with him at QB either. If he finally leads a team to the playoffs it would be the pinnacle of his career. But teams are trying to win a Super Bowl and Fitz is not a Super Bowl winning QB, IMO.

I'm happy for Fitz because liked him, but the Bills weren't going anywhere with him at QB and the Jets aren't going anywhere with him at QB either. If he finally leads a team to the playoffs it would be the pinnacle of his career. But teams are trying to win a Super Bowl and Fitz is not a Super Bowl winning QB, IMO.

Lots of QB's like Fitz have won the SB.

Hostetlr

Mark Rypien

Hell, even Kurt Warner... Could be seen as a similar carreer trajectory.

Sure the greats like Montana and Brady were great from the start. But sometimes a seasoned vetern pulls it together later on in his carreer for a magical season. Who the hell is to say Fitz cant pull that off?

Fitz is adequate. He is a good stop-gap. Got them to 10 wins last year and they look like they will be right there again... (10 wins is rarified air here in Buffalo... would love a dream season like that).

He is doing his job, they have good players, system, coaching, and preparation around him. Meanwhile they are piling up potential QB prospects looking for the guy.

Brandon is great at his job. Two consecutive seasons of record season ticket sales in spite of not making the playoffs in 16 years? I'd say he's handling his responsibilities well. Not sure he has much say in personnel decisions...probably had a say in the Ryan hire so I guess you could hold that against him.

Why.... As brandon is a marketing guy and No matter how lousey the team is, they are media relevant with wrex flapping his gums, record season ticket sales, I'd say he chose well.

Why.... As brandon is a marketing guy and No matter how lousey the team is, they are media relevant with wrex flapping his gums, record season ticket sales, I'd say he chose well.

if the team was actually successful, they would have to cap season tickets, have a never-ending waiting list, and be able to nudge the prices up and up... whether its Brandon in that role or a monkey in a chair

OMG .... it just came to me [the Brandon conspiracies and hatred].

Disgruntled fans imagine themselves with their fingers secretly at the inner controls of the Bills.. and that leads to eternal Super Bowls. Living that fantasy thru RB.

It's like the dishwasher who bemoans the $8 check average.. while he could make it $9.

...and we won't even mention the reality that RB has zip-nada-nil to do with on the field football, nor hockey, nor country music talent.

OMG .... it just came to me [the Brandon conspiracies and hatred].

Disgruntled fans imagine themselves with their fingers secretly at the inner controls of the Bills.. and that leads to eternal Super Bowls. Living that fantasy thru RB.

It's like the dishwasher who bemoans the $8 check average.. while he could make it $9.

...and we won't even mention the reality that RB has zip-nada-nil to do with on the field football, nor hockey, nor country music talent.

Russ? Is that you?

Ahhh the great American Blame Game. I'll play, a la Family Feud.... Top answers are the failure of every GM to find/draft a QB, Bill Belichek, Tom Brady. No QB, no winning. They didn't have a shot at a lot of guys who are/were/expected to be elite like Manning(s); Newton; Luck; Rivers; etc. Others they graded out other players higher and passed on options, like taking Aaron Williams a spot before Andy Dalton. Or McKelvin 7 spots before Flacco. Or TJ Grahan in the 3rd a number of spots before Russell Wilson. Other times they fell into the "We need and must draft a QB" and took one high and they failed miserably. Manuel, Losman, and Edwards.

I think deep down though, if we must assess blame, a slippery slope to be sure, Tom Donahoe set this team back in the early 2000s, culminating in the clusterf&*$ that was the 2004 draft where they moved back into the 1st for Losman after either not trying or failing (not sure which and failing means you didn't try hard enough) to move up from 13 for Rivers, Manning, Roethlisberger. That is a crucial moment in the team's history. Instead of selling the farm to get up, they draft Lee Evans and arrogantly double down and trade back into the first for Losman. It costs them their first in 2005 and in that draft the pick Dallas got was before Green Bay drafted Aaron Rodgers. Nothing hurt this team more than Donahoe.

You need to go a long way down the list to get to Brandon. This guy has kept this team afloat from a business perspective and probably helped save it in Bflo.

Good post but you stopped just short of the 2006 draft, which was an absolute killer to this team. Just horrible.