Head Coaching Candidates

yungmack

But no one is GUARANTEEING they will be better, just pointing out that it has and can happen. There are examples of coaches improving in their 2nd job, and their are examples of coaches failing in their 2nd job. I dont think pointing that out in defense of the idea of bringing in McDaniels is that extreme.

You'd agree that there has been far more examples of 2nd job failures than successes though? I'm not saying it can't happen - it can - we agree on that. However I think it's equally important to understand it's far less likely they'll be Belichick in their second job as the poster used as his example.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they fire Rex know?

The team has their season ticket money and good coaches aren't available now. I want him gone. I don't hide that....at all.

But I don't know what firing him now does nor do I know who you replace him with.

no need, just keep what we have.

Wonder if Gailey would come back?

Gailey is currently working for a decent team. I would take him back as an OC next season though.

I have to research successful moves by teams in the past. How have teams turned things around in the past? I remember when Green Bay sucked for a long stretch, but somehow changed the course. Seattle too. San Francisco sucked throughout the 70's. The Bills are on a two decade streak of incompetence. This Wrex experiment is over. Changes need to be set in motion right away (even if they aren't known to the public).

It's a FAIL. They need to evaluate who they want to keep, who is too old to be part of the new way, and who should be let go. Trade someone...how about Charles Clay? I bet there is a team that believes he can be a good TE for them..maybe get a 6th rounder or some such. Just get rid of someone NOW.

Football players can run on fear.

Darth Vader (or the Patriots), would spill some blood, because spilled blood needs to be seen.

If I owned this team, I would walk into the locker room tomorrow like this...

business-man-on-fire-suit-handshake-inte

and say "I am committed to winning, and expect the same commitment from employees".

Edited by HoF Watkins

Tom Herman has worked with Cardale before, I'm not sure if he is ready for the NFL yet but he would be on the my short list behind Harbaugh and Coughlin.

How long would Coughlin want to go on though? They would need a coach who can be around for a while, if successful. Go young. It's the one thing they haven't tried yet.

Gailey is currently working for a decent team. I would take him back as an OC next season though.

I have to research successful moves by teams in the past. How have teams turned things around in the past? I remember when Green Bay sucked for a long stretch, but somehow changed the course. Seattle too. San Francisco sucked throughout the 70's. The Bills are on a two decade streak of incompetence. This Wrex experiment is over. Changes need to be set in motion right away (even if they aren't known to the public).

It's a FAIL. They need to evaluate who they want to keep, who is too old to be part of the new way, and who should be let go. Trade someone...how about Charles Clay? I bet there is a team that believes he can be a good TE for them..maybe get a 6th rounder or some such. Just get rid of someone NOW.

Football can run on fear.

Darth Vader (or the Patriots), would spill some blood, because spilled blood needs to be seen.

Interested in how your research goes, be sure to post it here.

I think it really come down the right GM who picks the right HC and QB

Interested in how your research goes, be sure to post it here.

I think it really come down the right GM who picks the right HC and QB

I agree, but I should have made it clearer that I'm talking about successful mid-season changes. I'm wondering if any team has changed the course of a franchise, mid-season, what kind of groundwork can be laid.

A good place to start.... http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/top_10_nfl_interim_head_coaches/

They have nothing to lose right now. And they have the rest of this season to play around with. How about talking to the best, most innovative CFL coaches when their season ends in November?

Edited by HoF Watkins

Assuming that Rex Ryan is gone, here is a list of potential HC's I can think of. Feel free to add others. They are in no particular order. Although my top two likely would be Patricia and Bevell.

(1) Keith Butler: Steelers DC: The Steelers D has continued to be fantastic despite mediocre players in the secondary and up-front.

(2) Matt Patricia: Pats** DC. The Pats D funnels players in and out, doesn't matter, the D always seems to come up big when needed. Seems like a guy who puts his players in a position to win. He also has experience on the offensive side of the ball at the college level (OL player at RPI); O-line coach at SU and with the Pats**.

(3) Darrell Bevell: Seattle OC. Interviewed with Bills before they hired Rex. Great OC.

(4) Jim Schwartz: Philly DC. Outstanding D coach. Would need great OC.

Redskins OC and Panthers DC are both hot HC names right now for 2017

I posted this in another thread

If we decide to dump house and go for another coach, I'd pick Sean McDermott.

He was Jim Johnson's protégé with the Eagles, but couldn't live up to the hype. He was let go the same year he was promoted to defensive coordinator when the defense declined to produce. Two days later Ron Rivera hired him as his defensive coordinator to help rebuild an aging defense, and make them relevant again. They had the 28th ranked defense the first year, but went 10th, 2nd, 10th, and 6th the following years reaching the playoffs three times, and the super bowl once.

Here's a few players he was responsible for molding:

Gregg Hardy, Josh Norman, Luke Kuechly, Kawann Short, Kon Ealy, and rejuvenating Thomas Davis' career.

He's also still young enough to understand and incorporate modern trends into a defense that seems to suit his players best abilities. A trait that I believe is very important within our division.

As for the offense, I could only hope that he selects a coach that will try and control the clock a little better than our current coaching staff. Our defense would be a lot better if they didn't have to go back on the field 45 seconds after 8 min drives.

Josh McDaniels. For those averse to the idea of hiring a BB assistant, let's look at the record:

Nick Saban - all-time great, at least at the college level

Kirk Ferentz - excellent college coach; not confident he'd be a great NFL coach

Bill O'Brien - pretty solid so far

Romeo Crennell - not as bad some think - he got the Browns to 10-6 one season!!!

Mangini - up and down; 2 out 3 winning seasons with Jets before cratering in Cleveland (BB was opposed to him becoming a coach in the first place; didn't think he was ready)

Josh McDaniel - got to playoffs with Tebow and then had a bad second season; some of the reasons for this were beyond his control

Charlie Weis - disaster

Jim Schwartz - he's alright; not great, not terrible. Served for 3 years as a scout for the browns while BB was there (1993-95)

Only Weis has been a true disaster; most have been OK.

I'd take McDaniels, who I think is smart and ready to take it the next level in his next stint. I suspect Patricia might turn out to be a good coach too.