Head Coaching Candidates

yungmack

I know this is only his second year as a OC but I'm going to keep an eye on Philadelphia and the development of Carson Wentz.

Frank Reich woukd be a great name to have lead this team. He'll be a HC one day, maybe we go the Jason Garrett route, becomes a HC a little early so it comes with lumps.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is only his second year as a OC but I'm going to keep an eye on Philadelphia and the development of Carson Wentz.

Frank Reich woukd be a great name to have lead this team. He'll be a HC one day, maybe we go the Jason Garrett route, becomes a HC a little early so it comes with lumps.

If these past 5 days have proven anything, it is that we have no time or patience for lumps.

SD just made Reich their scapegoat last year (should have just fired McCoy). He was truly bad. He may be able to develop Wentz because he's a fine QB coach but I wouldn't want him as OC.

SD just made Reich their scapegoat last year (should have just fired McCoy). He was truly bad. He may be able to develop Wentz because he's a fine QB coach but I wouldn't want him as OC.

I put that on Pederson as much, if not more so, than Reich.

That said, what would it take to bring Urban Meyer to Buffalo? B-)

I know people are throwing around Bevell's name as a HC candidate but consider me unimpressed. Seahawks fans have been complaining about his playcalling for years. I just think Wilson is great at what he does and Bevell looks better because of it.

Matt Patricia is intriguing but he has that stigma that comes with being a coordinator under BB.

I'd prefer an offensive minded guy. Guys like Jim Bob Cooter and Ken Zampese are names to keep an eye on.

I absolutely would not want Kyle Shannahan.

You know what this thread is showing?

Finding a good HC is not so easy a thing......

and Schwartz is not coming here to be the DC again....of that I promise you

For guys like us on a message board, it's near impossible to "know" if someone will be good. We lack the true knowledge to assess candidates. I have some different ideas for the way I'd structure my coaching staff but NFL rules make it extremely difficult to make the theory happen.

In theory, I'd hire a veteran coach to be HC. Guys like a Tom Coughlin or a Marty Schottenheimer (big believer in having a Marv Levy type). Experienced guys that can be a figurehead type, brought in to be a general overseer of the team. Level headed when dealing with the media, can provide a solid grounding for the team in terms of man management. Then hire co-ordinators that would have free reign and wouldn't be micro-managed by the HC. With the restrictions on lateral moves, it's not easy to get the guys that I'd want. Normally, a bright OC/DC has to become a HC for them to get a shot at his services.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Just someone that will keep a 3-4 defense. I'm tired of changing defensive personnel and schemes every 3 years.

you mean two or every yr

Don't see why Chan would make a lateral move from the Jets, but I like Patricia as a head coach candidate.

it wont happen just wishing.

good point. Patricia is also a rocket scientist (aerospace major) !!

can he bring Garappalo with him?

Probablt Tom Brady

Or a younger offensive guy like Mularkey

our and up and comer DC like Greggo

Don't forget Marrone

I dont even want them to think about head coaches until the front office and football program is ironed out

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yea I'd rather they think very carefully about their struture before rushing off and just appointing a Head Coach. Also agree with whoever said that last time was a total free for all. Interviewed a load of different people, different styles etc. The Marrone hiring committee was more focused and better organised than the Rex search.

Surprised no one has mentioned Tom Herman. Or maybe I just missed it.

just as long as he doesn't bring the college spread with him.

Yea I'd rather they think very carefully about their struture before rushing off and just appointing a Head Coach. Also agree with whoever said that last time was a total free for all. Interviewed a load of different people, different styles etc. The Marrone hiring committee was more focused and better organised than the Rex search.

We need a whole FO clean out, all the Ralph guys have to go

For guys like us on a message board, it's near impossible to "know" if someone will be good. We lack the true knowledge to assess candidates. I have some different ideas for the way I'd structure my coaching staff but NFL rules make it extremely difficult to make the theory happen.

In theory, I'd hire a veteran coach to be HC. Guys like a Tom Coughlin or a Marty Schottenheimer (big believer in having a Marv Levy type). Experienced guys that can be a figurehead type, brought in to be a general overseer of the team. Level headed when dealing with the media, can provide a solid grounding for the team in terms of man management. Then hire co-ordinators that would have free reign and wouldn't be micro-managed by the HC. With the restrictions on lateral moves, it's not easy to get the guys that I'd want. Normally, a bright OC/DC has to become a HC for them to get a shot at his services.

You do realize that Super Bowl winning teams don't have an old figurehead coach take over. Almost without exception all the great head coaches started in their late 30s/early 40s with Shula early 30s/Walsh mid 40s being the exceptions. You can be level headed in dealing with the media and not be in your 70s.

You do realize that Super Bowl winning teams don't have an old figurehead coach take over. Almost without exception all the great head coaches started in their late 30s/early 40s with Shula early 30s/Walsh mid 40s being the exceptions. You can be level headed in dealing with the media and not be in your 70s.

It wasn't an age comment, more of a personality thing. Just using those two as examples because I'm familiar enough with them to talk about them.

I would like a degree of NFL experience in my HC though. I know it'll draw a lot of the "retread" comments but I'm probably not looking at this like that.

Edited by Blokestradamus