Hmmmm, where's all the threads about the bad Defense??

BringBackFergy

Both Seahawks and Broncos are undefeated because of missed FGs, and the big difference between Bills D and Seahawks D yesterday was that Wallace didn't drop the gift TD thanks to a blown coverage. By your definition, Tanneyhill easily dissected the Seattle's D.

So gift TDs are the sign of a good defense?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fundamentally, better than last year. Still some minor things to fix with tackling.

Outside of the Wallace TD, coverage wasn't bad.

Yes, I never bought the duke Richardson happy talk....and he can't run/cover Mike Wallace.....we saw that........hope he sees less time on the field, and that Aaron Williams can return to full time duty.

Looks like we kept the home team Ravens to one TD and two FG's. Not bad.

So I'd say this was a close one and we lost. That's the way it goes. On to the Jets.

Absent two horrid back to back penalties, D by and large showed up, but they also didn't rise to the occasion - had their chances at INTs and missed, gave up the huge pass, missed some key tackles.

Good teams have a D that takes it up a notch when the O is floundering, give them that spark and extra chance. We didn't.

Yes, I never bought the duke Richardson happy talk....and he can't run/cover Mike Wallace.....we saw that........hope he sees less time on the field, and that Aaron Williams can return to full time duty.

That mismatch is on the coaching staff. Rex admitted as much.

I hate Duke playing FS. Closer to LOS he is, the less lethal he can be to his own team.

Absent two horrid back to back penalties, D by and large showed up, but they also didn't rise to the occasion - had their chances at INTs and missed, gave up the huge pass, missed some key tackles.

Good teams have a D that takes it up a notch when the O is floundering, give them that spark and extra chance. We didn't.

The NFL is a game of adjustments (IMO)

The defense didn't have to adjust. One TD...why change?

The offense continued the ground and pound with no success and made little to no adjustment at halftime. I'm hoping G-Ro takes steps to adjust quicker in the next game.

While the Bills defense looked very good in the season opener against the Ravens and it was the offense that let the team down. Let's not forget how great the defense looked last year in the opener against the Colts and then crashed and burned against the Patriots the very next week.

I think the Bills have the NY Jets number so I think the defense should play well against the Jets again on Thursday. The offense will again be a concern because of LT Glenn's ankle injury. That Jet defense was able to sack Cincy QB Andy Dalton 7 times and the Bengals have a very good offensive line. It makes me shudder to think about what the Bills offense will look like in the game.

Going to take a few more good games by this year's defense to convince me that the coaches will put in max effort into every game plan and against every opponent. We should know more after the Cardinals game.

Considering they were on the field for 66 plays and a little more than half the game. They did alright. Could've used an early stop there at the end though. Too many missed tackles.

They weren't great, but last year they were bad. Considering that the reinforcements that were supposed to make us better this year are hurt, and how much they were on the field yesterday (on the road) I'd say they outperformed expectations. The missed tackle by Hughes at the end was bad, but I remember that happening to Darryl Talley a few times too.

I wonder how much difference the home field advantage will make this week. When Kyle Williams has been healthy, he has traditionally been dominant / unstoppable with home field crowd noise. Would be nice for him to welcome Fitz back with 2 or 3 sacks.

Both Seahawks and Broncos are undefeated because of missed FGs, and the big difference between Bills D and Seahawks D yesterday was that Wallace didn't drop the gift TD thanks to a blown coverage. By your definition, Tanneyhill easily dissected the Seattle's D.

Close... my definition of dissecting includes a long td, passer rating near 100, ypa around 7.5, over 250 yds over 65% completion... Since tanny did none of that... I guess it's not close at all.

Flacco had a good day. If he played the way he did every game this year, he throws for over 4000 yds for a career best season and perhaps makes the probowl as an alternate. He outperformed his career average in nearly every category.

Also it was not a blown coverage. The scheme put Dookie on Wallace... It was asinine

I'll concede that the defense did their job today - better than I ever expected with the personnel losses. Still, i think that expecting this defense to carry the team to the playoffs without significant help from the offense is folly.

Which is true of pretty much every single team in today's nfl.

Maybe I watched the wrong game???

The defense did not look that good. The dbs were out of position a lot,huge buffers, getting caught on splits and cuts, the safeties were a huge liability and could do nothing but try to help against the run. The DL was surprisingly different. They literally just blocked everything and let the lbs try to stop them. But poor racing and angles were obvious.

They didn't do well at adapting to motion, there was a lot of pointing, correcting, adjusting. Opportunities for turnovers were not created. Blind to the ball. Everyone looked slow and ill prepared. Ravens scored so little because they did not try at all to succeed. They played simple football, conservative and knew they could win field position this way.

Rex's decision to punt late with about 4 min was a mistake.

Again,I guess I saw different game but that defense was am 8-8 defense at most.

Regarding the Wallace TD, when I saw our coverage, I immediately thought we have the wrong Williams safety lined up. Aaron W made a game saving play on a deep post the last time we played them because he had the speed to stick with Torrey Smith who torched us all day. The Wallace play was a GREAT read and audible by Flacco and I gotta tip my hat.

That's what "seeing" a defense is, Tyrod.