Hmmmm, where's all the threads about the bad Defense??

BringBackFergy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK give the D some credit, but the Ravens O could have the least talent on any team in the NFL. So it is sort of mixed

Marcel Dareus can suck my....big left toe.

the only thing marcel sucks is...a big fat blunt. try again.

Here are two posts I have no argument with LOL

Definitely encouraging. One bad play by Duke Williams, otherwise a solid effort. Several sacks looked to be coverage sacks.

I am sure the offense will come around, though I think we will struggle against teams that can stop the run with only 7 in the box, as Baltimore did often. The Jets are similar, but home field will help a lot. The Bills need to come out of these first 4 with 2 wins.

Definitely encouraging. One bad play by Duke Williams, otherwise a solid effort. Several sacks looked to be coverage sacks.

I am sure the offense will come around, though I think we will struggle against teams that can stop the run with only 7 in the box, as Baltimore did often. The Jets are similar, but home field will help a lot. The Bills need to come out of these first 4 with 2 wins.

Amen.

You can't just take away plays that happened. If we get to take away that. Can we take away McCoy's TD too? That's was our only positive play.

Sure go ahead, but the argument wasn't McCoy "dissected" the Ravens defense.

And I'm not taking away the play, I realize that it happened but saying Joe Flacco "dissected" the Bills defense and listing just his stat line for the game is a bit disingenuous. It's about context. Yes, he spotted Mike Williams on a Safety and made that throw, what did he do the rest of the game? Hit Perriman, who was blanketed by Gilmore for 35 yards. That's 2 plays. Not one on the Ravens receivers had over 100 yards receiving. Steve Smith Sr., who was targeted the most had 19 yards on 5 recs.

Let's not act like Joe Flacco threw at will and did whatever he wanted. He was sacked 4 times, fumbled the ball and was nearly intercepted twice.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Sure go ahead, but the argument was McCoy "dissected" the Ravens defense.

And I'm not taking away the play, I realize that it happened but saying Joe Flacco "dissected" the Bills defense and listing just his stat line for the game is a bit disingenuous. It's about context. Yes, he spotted Mike Williams on a Safety and made that throw, what did he do the rest of the game? Hit Perriman, who was blanketed by Gilmore for 35 yards. That's 2 plays. No one on the Ravens had over 100 yards receiving. Steve Smith Sr., who was targeted the most had 19 yards on 5 recs.

Let's not act like Joe Flacco threw at will and did whatever he wanted. He was sacked 4 times, fumbled the ball and was nearly intercepted twice.

and got away with 2 intentional groundings

The ravens gameplan seemed very conservative like they knew the Bills weren't going to score much. Plus the ravens had a lot of stupid penalties in the first half that killed drives. The Bills D looked better than the O, but that isn't saying anything.

They also gave up a couple of huge plays which were killers. 13 points is a total which is more than acceptable, but Baltimore stopped itself a lot.

The bottom line is that 13 points is 13 points so yesterday's defense did its job. That said, it isn't like it became a viable scheme again. It hasn't had a good season in many.

IMO the defense played well today.

The second half they tightened up and pressured Flacco decently. A couple mistakes sure, but much improved.

Darby was in poor coverage a couple times but he improved as the game went on.

I was yelling at Duke. again. :wallbash:

Sure go ahead, but the argument wasn't McCoy "dissected" the Ravens defense.

And I'm not taking away the play, I realize that it happened but saying Joe Flacco "dissected" the Bills defense and listing just his stat line for the game is a bit disingenuous. It's about context. Yes, he spotted Mike Williams on a Safety and made that throw, what did he do the rest of the game? Hit Perriman, who was blanketed by Gilmore for 35 yards. That's 2 plays. Not one on the Ravens receivers had over 100 yards receiving. Steve Smith Sr., who was targeted the most had 19 yards on 5 recs.

Speaking of disingenuous, minimizing the biggest play of the game which was allowed by a horrendous mismatch while crediting 'almost ints' and a sack fumble that had nothing to do with the defense is right up there. Late in the game they couldn't get the ball back and allowed a scoring drive. I'm not impressed yet...

Also since we are measuring the performance this way, the Ravens defense is looking to be legendary, better than 2000 Ravens!!

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Much improved over last year

but

There were actually opportunities for turnovers we did not get....I firmly believe with Darby's speed that into he dropped would have been a TD

we only lost by 6

13 points surrendered on the road. I'll take that every time.

To quote Dick Jauron: "It's hard to win in the NFL."

While DJ and RR will never be confused, the teams they put on the field are eerily similar in terms of end result.

Safe offensive scheme and a defense that tries to keep it close to eek on wins here and there.

It's just that this year's team is a lot more expensive doing what DJ did back in the RW penny-pinching years.

Speaking of disingenuous, minimizing the biggest play of the game which was allowed by a horrendous mismatch while crediting 'almost ints' and a sack fumble that had nothing to do with the defense is right up there. Late in the game they couldn't get the ball back and allowed a scoring drive. I'm not impressed yet...,

Minimizing it? Try again. I acknowledged it and said it happened but I'm sorry if I don't agree with your assessment of how Joe Flacco played. You said Joe Flacco dissected the Bills defense, why don't you explain just how Joe Flacco "dissected" the defense instead of posting his stat line. What specifically did he do?

Hilarious that the Bills defense forced Baltimore to 6/15 on third downs, stopped them on a 4th and 1, recovered a fumble but didn't get the offense the ball back on that last drive, so you're not impressed. All those other times they got the offence the ball must not matter.

Also, the Bills, thus fa,r are 5th in the league in yards per play. But lets not talk about who's minimizing what.

Minimizing it? Try again. I acknowledged it and said it happened but I'm sorry if I don't agree with your assessment of how Joe Flacco played. You said Joe Flacco dissected the Bills defense, why don't you explain just how Joe Flacco "dissected" the defense instead of posting his stat line. What specifically did he do?

Hilarious that the Bills defense forced Baltimore to 6/15 on third downs, stopped them on a 4th and 1, recovered a fumble but didn't get the offense the ball back on that last drive, so you're not impressed. All those other times they got the offence the ball must not matter.

Also, the Bills, thus fa,r are 5th in the league in yards per play. But lets not talk about who's minimizing what.

Fine you sold me... Move over Seahawks and Broncos... The Ryan's are back. They are fueling a top 5 NFL defense.... dominant. They held Flacco to under 100 passer rating, under 8 ypa and Foster under 5 yds/carry. They nearly had so many ints that they couldn't get one, but their dominance is obvious.

They kept the explosive Ravens to 13 pts. Look out afce, the cold front is back!

Better?

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Fine you sold me... Move over Seahawks and Broncos... The Ryan's are back. They are fueling a top 5 NFL defense.... dominant. They held Flacco to under 100 passer rating, under 8 ypa and Foster under 5 yds/carry. They nearly had so many ints that they couldn't get one, but their dominance is obvious.

They kept the explosive Ravens to 13 pts. Look out afce, the cold front is back!

Better?

There you go, don't you feel better now?

Better?

Both Seahawks and Broncos are undefeated because of missed FGs, and the big difference between Bills D and Seahawks D yesterday was that Wallace didn't drop the gift TD thanks to a blown coverage. By your definition, Tanneyhill easily dissected the Seattle's D.

If you hold teams to 13 points, you should win every game. This one falls on Tyrod and company in my opinion

99.9 passer rating is dissected. 23/34 for 258 is dissected. The Ravens got whatever they need when the needed it. Easily moved the chains to burn the clock.

Keep telling yourself this is a great defense though.

These really are the two ways to look at the situation. I'm looking at it this way: Giving up 13 points is certainly indicitive of a defense putting the offense in the position to win the game. But the Ravens were playing the whole game conservatively. It might be a different story when the Bills face a team that has to open it up. I'm not gonna rip the defense by speculating what might've been, but it bears watching.