Practice Squad: When? & Who?

CSBill

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree 100%.

I'm sure he will get the PAT thing down. Not that he won't miss but it was a mental thing for him and a lot of kickers last year. He was money for the most part on FG and important FG. I had read at some point last year that the top ten kickers had not missed one FG 40 yards and under but collectively had missed 19 PATs. I always thought it was a concentration thing. They were so used to being on autopilot doing PATs that even at 33 yards, which is still a chip shot for them, they weren't concentrating as hard as they would on, say, a 33 yard FG. Not to excuse it, just to try to figure out a reason.

Looking strictly within our most recent roster:

TE Blake Annen, if neck injury cheks out

DL Lavar Edwards

ILB Randell Johnson

WR Dez Lewis

OT Marquis Lucas

OG Cyril Richardson

DT Justin ZImmer

LB Max Valles

LB Eric Striker

K Jordan Gay

Why Richardson, Gay, and Striker. Richardson has proven over a couple of years he can't do it. Gay can't kick field goals, and Striker was a nice story, but I bet Whaley will find other players cut who we can stash on the practice field. I do hope Dez Lewis keeps working on his routes and breaks. I can see him working onto the roster if not this year, possibly next.

I'm sure he will get the PAT thing down. Not that he won't miss but it was a mental thing for him and a lot of kickers last year. He was money for the most part on FG and important FG. I had read at some point last year that the top ten kickers had not missed one FG 40 yards and under but collectively had missed 19 PATs. I always thought it was a concentration thing. They were so used to being on autopilot doing PATs that even at 33 yards, which is still a chip shot for them, they weren't concentrating as hard as they would on, say, a 33 yard FG. Not to excuse it, just to try to figure out a reason.

I don't attribute it to a lack of concentration , more of an approach issue. Early on it seemed the PAT was an issue for some kickers around the league. I read a story about former Broncos kicker that runs a kicking "camp " type thing in AZ or something. Anyway , he said he noticed many kickers that had issues were approaching the new PAT the same way as the old one: centering the ball and kicking straight on . He suggested that the kickers now approach the PAT as they would a 33 yd fg. That is ( for a right footed kicker) set the ball on the left hash and aim for the right goal post. He said that it seemed to resolve the issue for most. I notice Carp was still centering the ball and wondered why he never made the adjustment. The PAT is now a 33 yd fg and should be approached the same way as the kicker would want to set up for that situation. Made sense to me anyways.

Why Richardson, Gay, and Striker. Richardson has proven over a couple of years he can't do it. Gay can't kick field goals, and Striker was a nice story, but I bet Whaley will find other players cut who we can stash on the practice field. I do hope Dez Lewis keeps working on his routes and breaks. I can see him working onto the roster if not this year, possibly next.

It was just an early PS list, without looking at other teams cuts. If we could improve from them, obviously, for the better.

I don't attribute it to a lack of concentration , more of an approach issue. Early on it seemed the PAT was an issue for some kickers around the league. I read a story about former Broncos kicker that runs a kicking "camp " type thing in AZ or something. Anyway , he said he noticed many kickers that had issues were approaching the new PAT the same way as the old one: centering the ball and kicking straight on . He suggested that the kickers now approach the PAT as they would a 33 yd fg. That is ( for a right footed kicker) set the ball on the left hash and aim for the right goal post. He said that it seemed to resolve the issue for most. I notice Carp was still centering the ball and wondered why he never made the adjustment. The PAT is now a 33 yd fg and should be approached the same way as the kicker would want to set up for that situation. Made sense to me anyways.

That makes sense as well. And it seems to go hand in hand with the concentration issue. That it was just a chip shot and automatic. I doubt the defenders even rush as hard on 33 yard PAT as they do a 33 yard FG.

Carp was hurt last year. Said earlier that he's finally healthy and he had a pretty good camp and Pre-Season.

according to BB.com he's still eligible to the PS.

Surprised to see gay. The only perk off hand that I see is that he's unlikely to be claimed by another team now, if they think he can be kicker in case of emergency

First refusal on Gay if Carpenter ***** the bed. Solid move.

Oh, okay. Thought that would get picked up by the language filter. :D

If he gets hurt during the season you sign Gay. This seems odd to me. He can still be signed by any team needing a kicker so there's no security in signing him to the PS.

Good to hear he has game eligibility but for how many games?

I predicted they would put a kicker on PS to save Carpenter's leg.

Yes I know some kickers cut to 40's but they seem to have a natural ability to stay healthy and in rhythm but Carpenter seems to need to work on it.

Matt Hazel tweeted #billsmafia

WR drafted by Miami in 2014 from coastal Carolina

I'm assuming PS

Sounds like it...

@draftdiamonds

I have confirmed that Matt Hazel has in fact agreed to sign with the Buffalo Bills practice squad. Flying in today signing tomorrow

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm assuming PS

Sounds like it...

@draftdiamonds

I have confirmed that Matt Hazel has in fact agreed to sign with the Buffalo Bills practice squad. Flying in today signing tomorrow

Had a strong senior bowl week prior to his draft. Similar to Lewis in that they are both talented kids from lower level who are raw.

Garbage.

I'm assuming PS

Sounds like it...

@draftdiamonds

The New England Patriots stashed the top running back selected in the 2014 draft on their practice squad.

The Pats signed Bishop Sankey to their practice squad Sunday after the tailback cleared waivers, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Sankey was cut by the Tennessee Titans over the weekend after two lackluster seasons. The 23-year-old back earned 762 yards rushing on 199 carries (3.8 yards per tote) and 272 receiving yards on 32 receptions.

With Dion Lewis starting the season on PUP, the shifty Sankey could be insurance for the Pats down the line if he progresses on the practice squad. New England's initial 53-man roster included LeGarrette Blount, James White, Brandon Bolden, D.J. Foster and James Develin at the running back spot.

Each NFL team is allowed to carry 10 practice squad members.

Other notable practice squad signings from Sunday (You can check out the full list here):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000695246/article/practice-squad-roundup-patriots-add-bishop-sankey

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000695231/article/practice-squad-tracker

Is Karlos Williams PS eligible?

I've turned the page on the guy, personally. But it looks to me like everyone's set their 53 without him in their plans. I wouldn't have a problem bringing him back on the PS to see if he can turn his life around from there (if he is eligible).

SeeMore already took his number!

Is Karlos Williams PS eligible?

I've turned the page on the guy, personally. But it looks to me like everyone's set their 53 without him in their plans. I wouldn't have a problem bringing him back on the PS to see if he can turn his life around from there (if he is eligible).

Interested in this answer. Seems like he could. But methinks Bills have likely locked the door behind him

A bit of a queer move, adding Gay to the PS.

Ha!

Gay to practice squad likely has to be to save Carpenters leg in practice while they work on KR team.

For sure. But they could sign any one of a number of kickers for this. Keeping a guy who can't kick FGs seems strange. But then again, there's this...

NFL is re-examining rule after wk 4 so may be good place to have if they decide to change rule back.

Really the only reason I can think to keep Gay on the PS. Plus, let's face it, the PS is pretty fluid and guys come on, and drop off, throughout the year. So it really isn't that big of a deal.

So it seems like so far it is Gabe Ikard, Dez Lewis, Jordan Gay, and Matt Hazel. I wonder what is taking so long?

That's why I checked this thread. It seems to me the Bills are usually aggressive, and put their PS together pretty quickly. But they haven't announced Ikard or Hazel ("Hey, your mother's uglier than Hazel!") yet, so perhaps they have actually made more agreements than we are aware of, at the moment.

One might counter with the argument such as: "Deep talented teams are less likely to attract these free agents to their PS, as there isn't much of a chance of them being called up. So perhaps this is a sign the Bills are deeper in talent than they have been in the past." But c'mon, we know that's not true.