Update: Bridgewater suffers serious leg injury

GunnerBill

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it explained in this thread already? How does this happen in non-contact?

I thought he meant Tom Brady.

The stat is that 26% of ACL tears are non contact...and once the ACL tears apparently it becomes very easy for the kneecap to dislocate depending on where you at in your leg movement...

Honestly it's the same way anything happens...they've done the same motion tens or even hundreds of thousands of times in practice, scrimmages and games. Eventually that tendon has reached its useful life...kinda like if you drove your car and every 5 seconds pressed the brake pedal, you'd wear out your brakes a lot quicker.

These athletes are constantly training, practicing and repeating the same movement over and over and over....in many cases it's simply an overuse injury, similar to why people on assembly lines get carpal tunnel syndrome and have other issues...the body is not designed to constantly do the exact same thing over and over and over again for that many repetitions...eventually that body part that is constantly being stressed just wears out and can't handle the load being placed on it.

Edited by matter2003

Wow, thanks I didn't know that. I was picturing some freak accident.

Kinda yes and no...that he tore his ACL not so much, read my edited post in regards to why it's happening so frequently these days...that he dislocated his knee and did other structural damage is pretty freakish...but again, it may have to do with how the QB is setting up or what he was doing when it happened...typically QBs don't get these...

Edited by matter2003

He's a good kid. Hope it works out and he's able to come back.

These days it's more shocking when a player DOESN'T come back normal from an ACL injury than when they do...it's so common that doctors and trainers and physical therapists have gotten really good at fixing and rehabbing them.

Plus as a QB, he doesn't put the same strain on it as a position player would

WEO, Hill played 9 games in 2014 - so for definitions of "years ago" equalling "season before last", you're correct :D . (Most people would call that "exaggeration".) Still, I think it's reasonable to say Bridgewater was starting and Hill sitting last year for a reason, and that reason is NOT because they're equivalent players. To me Hill is Fitz 2.0: decent, but not quite good enough to close the deal, and apt to throw INTs at the worst times. I will grant him that in 2014, Stl had not much for WR and a dismal OL, but still, there it is: he would sling it, and then sling it away.

The Vikes season hinged on your third sentence all along: can AP, at age 31, still get it done? Hill has an arm (I do live in StL) and can put up similar completion %, yds per attempt, and long pass numbers as Bridgewater, and he'll arguably make better decisions in some ways and get sacked less than Bridgewater did - so there's a fighting chance he'll keep the D honest and give AP space, but even if he can, 1) can AP take the same advantage of that space with 1 year older body? and 2) Hill can be baited into mistakes (very Fitz-like) that will take the ball out of AP's reach

Never say never, but unless they can pick up an improvement (or at least a backup plan with potential) at QB, the Vikes chances not looking good.

Hill actually was pretty efficient last time he started in terms of completion percentage and YPA and a bit better in terms of sacks. Where he isn't as good as Bridgewater (and perhaps this is what you meant) is throwing INTs. If he can minimize that, he could do OK - but then if he goes down, what's the plan?

I just don't see Over the Hill doing the same as TB last year and them having the same result. !6 games is a lot for any backup who has never come close to playing a full season, let alone a guy this old. AP is about to fall off the cliff as well.

I just don't see Over the Hill doing the same as TB last year and them having the same result. !6 games is a lot for any backup who has never come close to playing a full season, let alone a guy this old. AP is about to fall off the cliff as well.

That's a different story. The offense will go as AP goes.

@Vikings

.@EricSugarATC has released a statement on @teddyb_h2o's surgery yesterday. READ: http://mnvkn.gs/bjbhyU

Cr7ZQV6W8AAsMNN.jpg

Vikings Director of Sports Medicine and Head Athletic Trainer Eric Sugarman issued the following statement on Teddy Bridgewater:

Teddy Bridgewater had his left knee surgically repaired yesterday. The procedure was performed by Dr. Dan Cooper at the Carrell Clinic in Dallas, TX. The knee dislocation resulted in Teddy needing a multi-ligament reconstruction. I was able to be present in Dallas, support Teddy and observe the entire procedure. The repair was excellent and gives Teddy every reason to be very optimistic.

Teddy already began the rehab process yesterday, will return to Minnesota to continue on the road to recovery very soon and looks forward to getting back on the field.

@Vikings

.@EricSugarATC has released a statement on @teddyb_h2o's surgery yesterday. READ: http://mnvkn.gs/bjbhyU

Cr7ZQV6W8AAsMNN.jpg

Vikings Director of Sports Medicine and Head Athletic Trainer Eric Sugarman issued the following statement on Teddy Bridgewater:

Teddy Bridgewater had his left knee surgically repaired yesterday. The procedure was performed by Dr. Dan Cooper at the Carrell Clinic in Dallas, TX. The knee dislocation resulted in Teddy needing a multi-ligament reconstruction. I was able to be present in Dallas, support Teddy and observe the entire procedure. The repair was excellent and gives Teddy every reason to be very optimistic.

Teddy already began the rehab process yesterday, will return to Minnesota to continue on the road to recovery very soon and looks forward to getting back on the field.

So, he'll never play the trombone again. Got it.