Update: Bridgewater suffers serious leg injury

GunnerBill

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bucs aren't giving up Glennon unless MN or Dallas far over pay for him meaning a 2nd round pick. He is a decent QB, and if on a good team would have played better when he was starting a couple of years ago. The Bucs at that time were devoid of talent and had a horrible O Line. This is why they've focused so heavily on the line for the last two years in the draft.

I'm just so sorry for Bridgewater. He made a lot of progress in TC, and was getting high marks. I just hope he can make it back on the field in a year. There is always a chance his career is over. I certainly don't want that, but it's possible.

Very possible. It's not like TB put up amazing numbers last year.

Az, Seattle, GB, Carolina and the NFCE winner. Minn gets the other wild card spot? With Shaun Hill or Joel Stave at QB? Or maybe McCown or Sanchez?

The Vikings will struggle to finish 3rd in their division.

Az, Seattle, GB, Carolina and the NFCE winner. Minn gets the other wild card spot? With Shaun Hill or Joel Stave at QB? Or maybe McCown or Sanchez?

The Vikings will struggle to finish 3rd in their division.

Hill can duplicate, and actually has duplicated, TB's numbers from last year. Like last year, the Vikes will need to rely on a great running game, defense, and ST's.

Hill can duplicate, and actually has duplicated, TB's numbers from last year. Like last year, the Vikes will need to rely on a great running game, defense, and ST's.

If you think 15 year veteran Shaun Hill (he's had one fraction of a meaningful season years ago) is the same player as Bridgewater, you are alone in that thought.

It's not just what numbers TB put up, it's about what he could do when the opposing D stopped the run. An aging AP will find it much tougher this year to rack up the yards as opposing DCs will be very happy to make Hill win with his passing game.

No chance Vikings make the playoffs with Hill. Zero point zero.

Edited by Mr. WEO

If you think 15 year veteran Shaun Hill (he's had one fraction of a meaningful season years ago) is the same player as Bridgewater, you are alone in that thought.

It's not just what numbers TB put up, it's about what he could do when the opposing D stopped the run. An aging AP will find it much tougher this year to rack up the yards as opposing DCs will be very happy to make Hill win with his passing game.

he didnt say hes the same player, just that the production wasnt as much as many thought out of bridgewater. the threat to run wasnt huge. hes been a 200 yard a season guy with his legs -- less than 15 yards per game. 3,200 yards passing.

hes been a good young player.... hill isnt as talented, but in his extended showcases hes created similar rushing yards per game (better per carry), and though he hasnt been as efficient as a passer - it wouldnt be the craziest thing ever for him to be a guy they win in spite of. the vikings went 10-6 and made the playoffs with ponder starting a few years ago.

Edited by NoSaint

he didnt say hes the same player, just that the production wasnt as much as many thought out of bridgewater. the threat to run wasnt huge. hes been a 200 yard a season guy with his legs -- less than 15 yards per game. 3,200 yards passing.

hes been a good young player.... hill isnt as talented, but in his extended showcases hes created similar rushing yards per game (better per carry), and though he hasnt been as efficient as a passer - it wouldnt be the craziest thing ever for him to be a guy they win in spite of. the vikings went 10-6 and made the playoffs with ponder starting a few years ago.

This.

lol this was a freak injury. Quarterbacks not named Romo these days rarely get injured and can play until they're 50. Starting QB's usually missed at least two or three games per season in the 90's. Now, it's rare for a QB to play less than 15 or 16 games.

Don't stop him. He's on a roll.

WEO, Hill played 9 games in 2014 - so for definitions of "years ago" equalling "season before last", you're correct :D . (Most people would call that "exaggeration".) Still, I think it's reasonable to say Bridgewater was starting and Hill sitting last year for a reason, and that reason is NOT because they're equivalent players. To me Hill is Fitz 2.0: decent, but not quite good enough to close the deal, and apt to throw INTs at the worst times. I will grant him that in 2014, Stl had not much for WR and a dismal OL, but still, there it is: he would sling it, and then sling it away.

The Vikes season hinged on your third sentence all along: can AP, at age 31, still get it done? Hill has an arm (I do live in StL) and can put up similar completion %, yds per attempt, and long pass numbers as Bridgewater, and he'll arguably make better decisions in some ways and get sacked less than Bridgewater did - so there's a fighting chance he'll keep the D honest and give AP space, but even if he can, 1) can AP take the same advantage of that space with 1 year older body? and 2) Hill can be baited into mistakes (very Fitz-like) that will take the ball out of AP's reach

Never say never, but unless they can pick up an improvement (or at least a backup plan with potential) at QB, the Vikes chances not looking good.

Hill actually was pretty efficient last time he started in terms of completion percentage and YPA and a bit better in terms of sacks. Where he isn't as good as Bridgewater (and perhaps this is what you meant) is throwing INTs. If he can minimize that, he could do OK - but then if he goes down, what's the plan?

Edited by Hopeful

lol this was a freak injury. Quarterbacks not named Romo these days rarely get injured and can play until they're 50. Starting QB's usually missed at least two or three games per season in the 90's. Now, it's rare for a QB to play less than 15 or 16 games.

I don't know the stats on QB's who only miss 1 game, but as far as 16 game starters go since 2000:

16 years * 32 teams = 512 possible 16 game starters

With a little research it seems there have been 245 16 game starters in that time (~48% rate). Granted, not all of the examples here are due to injury.

In 2015, 17 of a possible 32 started all 16 games for their team. I wouldn't call that rate rare.

This was definitely a freak injury though, no doubt about that.

WEO, Hill played 9 games in 2014 - so for definitions of "years ago" equalling "season before last", you're correct :D . (Most people would call that "exaggeration".) Still, I think it's reasonable to say Bridgewater was starting and Hill sitting last year for a reason, and that reason is NOT because they're equivalent players. To me Hill is Fitz 2.0: decent, but not quite good enough to close the deal, and apt to throw INTs at the worst times. I will grant him that in 2014, Stl had not much for WR and a dismal OL, but still, there it is: he would sling it, and then sling it away.

The Vikes season hinged on your third sentence all along: can AP, at age 31, still get it done? Hill has an arm (I do live in StL) and can put up similar completion %, yds per attempt, and long pass numbers as Bridgewater, and he'll arguably make better decisions in some ways and get sacked less than Bridgewater did - so there's a fighting chance he'll keep the D honest and give AP space, but even if he can, 1) can AP take the same advantage of that space with 1 year older body? and 2) Hill can be baited into mistakes (very Fitz-like) that will take the ball out of AP's reach

Never say never, but unless they can pick up an improvement (or at least a backup plan with potential) at QB, the Vikes chances not looking good.

Hill actually was pretty efficient last time he started in terms of completion percentage and YPA and a bit better in terms of sacks. Where he isn't as good as Bridgewater (and perhaps this is what you meant) is throwing INTs. If he can minimize that, he could do OK - but then if he goes down, what's the plan?

i was including the last few years he played -- hes traditionally fallen behind TB in completion percentage, which when comparing a vet to a young guy, seems noteworthy. I wont claim to be an expert on either player, having watched both only occasionally, but i feel comfortable saying bridgewater is overall a better passer at this point in his career.

and what if hill gets hurt? which team is doing anything with their third qb? that they have schemed for a young qb to be successful the last couple years and are already gameplanning around backup skills.... their situation probably will be no worse than anyone else that ends up in that boat. im not betting on them to be in the playoffs now, and certainly would not if the situation gets worse. wouldnt call it zero point zero at this juncture though.

Edited by NoSaint

Very possible. It's not like TB put up amazing numbers last year.

I dunno...TB was 6-6 before they fell off the last four games...Winston is going to take another step and he has weapons...

Minnesota will be the leading example of great running game, strong defense this year and let's see if that will be enough...

I dunno...TB was 6-6 before they fell off the last four games...Winston is going to take another step and he has weapons...

Minnesota will be the leading example of great running game, strong defense this year and let's see if that will be enough...

Not sure if that was meant to be funny, but in my post TB=Teddy Bridgewater.