Lorenzo Alexander, sacks & flags

First one was moronic. Alexander did nothing wrong, it was a safe height with safe technique. If it's a safety issue, maybe look at the tackle technique to assess penalties. Perfectly done.

Second one, I get it. I think they've ruled the QB as sacked and that Biermann could've pulled up. Because he didn't and also fell towards his head, the flag was thrown. I had no issue with that.

Meanwhile, TEs get their knees taken out and RBs get body slammed with no reaction. The double standard with respect to QBs is out of control.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, TEs get their knees taken out and RBs get body slammed with no reaction. The double standard with respect to QBs is out of control.

It's a horrible plague on the game. I understand the NFL's thinking though. Pass plays are entertaining, they've set QB rules and passing rules up for entertainment. Being a defender is illegal now, receivers stopped routes crying for flags. It's horrible to watch.

First one was moronic. Alexander did nothing wrong, it was a safe height with safe technique. If it's a safety issue, maybe look at the tackle technique to assess penalties. Perfectly done.

Second one, I get it. I think they've ruled the QB as sacked and that Biermann could've pulled up. Because he didn't and also fell towards his head, the flag was thrown. I had no issue with that.

If the whistle blew when it should have Kroy may pull up. So that's on Ed again

They were both bs calls. Have friends that are Skins fans who agreed to the same fact. If this is what the NFL is becoming then it's pointless to get after the QB.

Edited by H2o

Except he went low on the QB, which is a foul.

Low is at the knees. He went above the knees.

I don't think it matters where his helmet was. Taking a QB down by the legs is a no-no now.

Actually He was high enough for NFL rules. The issue is the ref behind him threw the flag and his arm is near the back of the knee. From his vantage point it looked like a foul. From the front where the hit was it was not a foul. The ref will get an email on this one from the NFL.

They were both bs calls. Have friends that are Skins fans who agreed to the same fact. If this is what the NFL is becoming then it's pointless to get after the QB.

You wonder if teams wouldn't be better off dropping 8 and 9 men into coverage more often and blitzing far less. Only problem is that you can't really do too much to the receivers either anymore.

So, when you can't hit the QB, can't hit the WRs and the OL can hold then it becomes tough to defend the pass.

But it's way cool when spikes go low on their Rb a few plays later and the guy breaks his elbow.

Isn't it supposed to be below the knees is where the penalty should be called ? Which he was over ?

I may have seen a different game than you. He looked to be high and brought him down hard on his own arm. If someone has video to show different that would be great. Im not real sure now that Ryan said this. That said are tackles different with QB and RB?

I may have seen a different game than you. He looked to be high and brought him down hard on his own arm. If someone has video to show different that would be great. Im not real sure now that Ryan said this. That said are tackles different with QB and RB?

Yes. In the pocket, a QB is protected from hits below the waist. But outside, he's fair game, just like RB's are.

This piece is worth the read. Written by his former teammate, Ryan Riddle - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1480333-lorenzo-alexander-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-nfl

Good find. Hard working young man. Interesting how many different positions he's played, and how he adapted physically to his changing roles.

why is it ok when JJ Watt goes low like he did against EJ?

Pretty sure he had 2 personal fouls called against him for doing it.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WattJ.00/penalties/

Add after researching that, I found the rule for roughing the passer and would say that Alexanders is the right call even though I don't agree with the rule. I guess the question would be if he was pushed before going into Cousins.

The fifth provision of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9 ("Roughing The Passer") of the NFL Rule Book says:

"A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him."

Edited by The Wiz

Iirc it was some sort of sweep and spikes tripped him up with standard tackle somewhat low. Nothing malicious.

Was watching at loud bar.