Lorenzo Alexander, sacks & flags

Can someone out there explain the premise the refs used when making those calls?

On the 1st sack Joe Theismann promised the officials Papa Johns pizza after the game and on the 2nd sack he promised them whatever toppings they want. Mystery solved. Doesn't take much to buy off refs in the NFL.

Pretty sure he had 2 personal fouls called against him for doing it.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WattJ.00/penalties/

Add after researching that, I found the rule for roughing the passer and would say that Alexanders is the right call even though I don't agree with the rule. I guess the question would be if he was pushed before going into Cousins.

The fifth provision of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9 ("Roughing The Passer") of the NFL Rule Book says:

"A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him."

He WAS pushed and was actually falling down already and just made a leap to get a sack. He stretched his body out as much as he could to try and make a clean hit. I reapect him for that.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. In the pocket, a QB is protected from hits below the waist. But outside, he's fair game, just like RB's are.

Care to reconsider?

The quarterback in the passing posture in the pocket gets protected from hits in the knee area or below — forcible hits.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/18/nfl-instructing-refs-to-look-out-for-low-hits-on-quarterbacks/

That was neither "in the knee area or below" or forcible IMO.

I'd have to watch the sack again, but I'm not sure what he's supposed to do.

He got around his block, stumbled a bit before getting to Cousins. Should he have avoided Cousins while stumbling, got his feet from under him and then tried to sack him? Lol.

There's a facebook link on the first page I think. Apparently everyone on twitter is taking shots at the NFL because of it.

http://www.ekla.in/trends/lorenzo-alexander.html

Here's the sack: https://twitter.com/cianaf/status/769324999337443328

Edited by The Wiz

Regarding the first PF, I was listening to a Washington DC broadcast on ESPN radio. And all of the commentators basically laughed, saying it was a horrible call. They were shocked that it was called a penalty, but they'd take the free yards and first down.

I hate the new contact rules as much as you do-- wow the ref had that flag in the air mighty quick, didn't he?

It's the teams with short memories-- that can play through the impossible penalty flags-- and not dwell on them, that will be winners.

It's gonna happen. Great efforts and huge athletic big time tackles are going to be flagged, it's gonna suck. All we can hope for is that it evens out in the end.

I wish you could review these penalties, but that would never happen.

Hit the QB in waist area, near his center gravity, and he will be knocked backward. The defender, having lost his balance at point of impact, will slide down the QBs body because he can't run through the tackle. Legal hit ends up looking illegal. Actually hit the QB low and take his legs out, his upper body will fall forward. Bad call Ed.

A I rembember a similar call on aginst the Bills where Kyle Williams had beat the blocker and was tripped into a low hit on Brady. It was flagged of course. As important as these calls are, a replay review would actually be warranted and rather definitive.

The officiating is at an all time low. They pretty much control the outcome of every game now. NFL = National Flag League.

End of game Skin defender spins our WR around & no flag. Then a Skin defender gets torched and is completely out of position & they flag Offensive PI. Total joke.

The officiating is at an all time low. They pretty much control the outcome of every game now. NFL = National Flag League.

End of game Skin defender spins our WR around & no flag. Then a Skin defender gets torched and is completely out of position & they flag Offensive PI. Total joke.

The solution comes from a movie - when Zebras are dictating results ignoring penalties on one side they go on the menu.

He really did drop a lot of weight - he used to be in the 300 pound range as a defense lineman.

First one was moronic. Alexander did nothing wrong, it was a safe height with safe technique. If it's a safety issue, maybe look at the tackle technique to assess penalties. Perfectly done.

Second one, I get it. I think they've ruled the QB as sacked and that Biermann could've pulled up. Because he didn't and also fell towards his head, the flag was thrown. I had no issue with that.

Yeah that was my take. It was inadvertent but when a large man lands on your head it's dangerous. I think those are the type of plays that get overlooked on how dangerous the game is.

Pretty sure he had 2 personal fouls called against him for doing it.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WattJ.00/penalties/

Add after researching that, I found the rule for roughing the passer and would say that Alexanders is the right call even though I don't agree with the rule. I guess the question would be if he was pushed before going into Cousins.

The fifth provision of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9 ("Roughing The Passer") of the NFL Rule Book says:

"A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him."

His hit (if you want to call it that....i see that as a textbook wrap up tackle) started higher then the knee area and then his body slid down.

But like I said....watch how our QBs get hit this year and see if this is enforced in this way.

His hit (if you want to call it that....i see that as a textbook wrap up tackle) started higher then the knee area and then his body slid down.

But like I said....watch how our QBs get hit this year and see if this is enforced in this way.

I agree it shouldn't have been called but the way that it reads makes it justifiable to the refs.

Another point to note is that Cousins took a hop backwards which lowered Alexander's body position on him.

Edited by The Wiz