Cardale body language/ pocket presence very Jim Kelly??

Bocephuz

Kelly? LOL!

Seriously though... His skill set favors a hurry-up offense..... He can run the K-gun, or 12 guage, or whatever you want to call it because he's not overthinking it.... Quick release... Very little wasted motion on his throws... Kid poured ALOT of energy into a typically boring point in the game.... Strikes me as the type that 'll find his OWN way with increased reps.... Jones with the 2's this week instead of Eeej..... Could make ole Dave Lee look like a QB coach after all....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If Kelly hadn't have had shoulder surgery he would have been the first overall, no question. Making comparisons to Jim kelly after one preseason game in which the kid played less than the second half against players who most probably won't even make the team is really daydreaming.

"Kelly severely separated his throwing shoulder when he was tackled during the third game of the 1982 season, ending his college career. Doctors inserted three rods into the shoulder and said he would never regain full range of motion."

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article1956446.html

He would have been picked before Elway?!?

I know you have watched a lot of Cardale, but why do you refer to him as "raw (really raw)"? (You're not the only one, of course.). Do you think he is more raw than Carson Wentz, who went number 2 overall? I don't. I think Cardale certainly needs work, but I think his "rawness" has been drastically oversold. IMO, his intangibles plus his outstanding physical tools make up for his relative lack of experience. He will be ready much sooner than many think.

Wentz came out of more of a pro-style offense and has started a huge amount. I think Cardale's "technical rawness" if I can create that phrase allied with his lack of experience in pro-style offenses and just in game play generally are what explains the difference between Wentz (2nd overall) and Jones (last pick of the 4th round). I think he is a project, he is two year away at least and we shouldn't let his performance against non-NFL level talent (as encouraging as it was) on Saturday kid us into believing he will be ready sooner.

I haven't been able to understand why all the experts refer to Cardale as "raw," or a "project." The kid had played at an extremely high level at one of the most successful D 1 programs in the country.

He has all the intangibles, as Bocephuz stated above.

I thought he looked real good, albeit against a 3rd string defense. But you can't coach that size, power, arm strength, and desire he exuberated Saturday night. E.J. might be watching from the 3rd slot before seasons end.

yes, Urban runs the read option. Cardale isn't a read option QB. Urban didn't recruit him, Tressel did. It wasn't a good match when he inherited him and I don't think urban ever expected him to play. He was forced into action and succeeded in the offense for a short time mainly due to the OC they had at that time, Tom Herman, who was able to call plays suited to Cardale's strengths. Herman left to take the HC job at U of Houston and the new OC was not at all prepared to call anything but Urban's system last year. Barrett runs it perfectly. Cardale does not. He's a pro style QB with some mobility. Not a running QB like urban needs.

Oddly enough, urban just got a 5 star pro style QB to sign here in the 2016 class. No clue why he wanted him or why he came.

I'm always amazed at how fans don't get the fact that most coaches have "their" systems and preferred ways of doing things and even preferred coaches they want to work with. so when regime change occurs at the pro and especially the college level, it can take years (and a lot of losing usually) to flush out the players recruited (or in the pros, signed to huge long term contracts) for the old system and get players suited to the new system. Cardale is an example in college , Mario Williams a good example in the pros.

this is why fans need to think hard before jumping up and down looking to fire coaches in the first 3 or 4 years. It takes that long to match players to the new system. Add injuries to those new players at key (coach on the field)positions (QB, Safety, MLB) and things take even longer. Plus the CBA severely limits practice time that is key to implementing the new coaches approaches. Plus assistants may jump ship for head coach gigs along the way, retarding progress as well. We live in an era where you sign a coach and you are pretty much stuck with him for probably 5 years at a minimum before you can judge him.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

I haven't been able to understand why all the experts refer to Cardale as "raw," or a "project." The kid had played at an extremely high level at one of the most successful D 1 programs in the country.

He has all the intangibles, as Bocephuz stated above.

I thought he looked real good, albeit against a 3rd string defense. But you can't coach that size, power, arm strength, and desire he exuberated Saturday night. E.J. might be watching from the 3rd slot before seasons end.

yep. but this is the Bills. the "experts" spend about 15 minutes per week analyzing the situation with this franchise. its more fun and more fans are more interested in what is happening with the the Giants (zzzzzz.....) or the Dolphins (double zzzzz....) or the Cowboys. Heck, Ryan Fitzpatrick gets way more press than Russell Wilson, how is that possible : Seattle vs. NYC.

I get the OP talking about body language/presence (comparing to JK via "eye test", not in ability) - that was actually the thing that struck me the most - more than his arm strength even. From media training camp reports I expected a hot mess with throws rifling and bouncing scattershot all over the field and into the stands and pegula's box (and the hospitality tent if there was one). Instead he looked so comfortable and competent - especially when climbing up in the pocket to avoid the rush.

One thing I think is interesting now is if he really shows something in the preseason, how the team could factor his long term development into the 2nd/3rd string decision. Does extra potential development as 2nd string trump even if you think EJ is a 'safer' veteran presence as backup if he needs to go in that role.

I liked the way Cardale looked off Boykins on the TD pass until the last second. I didn't like how he missed the receiver on the left side who broke open on an inside slant on the 2 point conversion. But Cardale's a really exciting prospect. Definitely a project, has to step into his throws far more but OTOH it is good to know he can be effective off that back foot when he has to.

hes a long way off from entertaining thoughts of being a NFL qb BUT-- he plays with emotion, doesn't let a bad throw bother him, has some pocket awareness and at the same time will hang in. All the things we wanted Manuel to have and almost completely opposite.

we all know he needs work and time and thankfully he will get both

Ok.. Before you flame away.. I'm not putting him in the HOF yet.. And Yes I know it is a 4th quarter preseason performance against scrubs.

With my disclaimer out of the way..None of the Bills QBs in the last 20 years has remotely reminded me of #12 ... but Jones's body language/ style immediately did.. From the first time I saw his college tape. And Sat night confirmed

Did he not pass the first glance test??. Consider he is new to taking snaps under center and not from the Gun all the time like he did in college.

https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloBills/videos/10154202841985659/

OK ... Here are the specific Kellyisms:

Classic over head throwing delivery ...check ( that throw to O' Leary over the middle was total Jim Kelly.. I've seen that throw to Andre Reed a hundred times... Watch and tell me otherwise?)

Tall Calm Pocket Presence.. Check

Situational Awareness..(run to sticks on 4th down)... check

Cockiness... ( he yelled at Roman to change play on last drive) ... Check

Insinct to step up into pocket rather than spin and scramble ... Check

Rifle Arm... Check

Big Tough Presence... Check

Let me be clear... The best thing for him is to sit on the bench this year and learn the nuances of the pro game.

I will go on the record here and now saying as long as he doesn't get ruined by having to play for any significant time in'16...move ahead in time and If TT gets injured at any time in '17.. Cardale will be a legit threat to steal TT's job sooner rather than later

If Cardale ends up taking Tyrod's job away from him and having a Jim Kelly type career, we'll all call you prescient.

Personally, I was encouraged by what I saw of Cardale against Indy and mentioned elsewhere that I was impressed with the job Roman and Lee were doing with him. I acknowledged he could be TT's replacement in the future if TT doesn't live up to his potential. But Cardale never reminded me of Kelly despite the things you mentioned. But I love the optimism!