Cardale body language/ pocket presence very Jim Kelly??

Bocephuz

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardale looked good. If he passes TT it won't be because he "steals" his job. He would have earned it - on and off the field. For 2016 at least TT is the clear leader of this team and is doing elite QB things like showing up first and leaving last, running his own player-only Offensive meetings and working with his receivers in the off-season in Cali.

The Bills' QB situation is as good as it has been in many years - this is attributable to all 3 on the roster.

Tyrod is the face of the franchise - let it play out - but also sleep soundly with EJ and Cardale backing the AFC 2016 MVP.

Yes, I said it. MVP.

So, he's Brett Favre??? :)

Or Fitz with an actual NFL arm?

ha - unlike Fitz he plays his best when the game is on the line, not his worst :) the bigger the game, the bigger he performed. Those Big 10 September nooners in front of sleepy crowds were not his style.

its nice to have hope, but this kid wasn't a first round selection. any other draft out of that out of that year kelly would have been first choice. that was a hell of draft.

If Kelly hadn't have had shoulder surgery he would have been the first overall, no question. Making comparisons to Jim kelly after one preseason game in which the kid played less than the second half against players who most probably won't even make the team is really daydreaming.

"Kelly severely separated his throwing shoulder when he was tackled during the third game of the 1982 season, ending his college career. Doctors inserted three rods into the shoulder and said he would never regain full range of motion."

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article1956446.html

ha - unlike Fitz he plays his best when the game is on the line, not his worst :) the bigger the game, the bigger he performed. Those Big 10 September nooners in front of sleepy crowds were not his style.

I hope to get up this year, and pray to get over to hammers lot. If we could get Cardale over there for some pre-game, we just might have a Magical Formula!

Not to derail this but I don't think that anyone is comparing Cardale (as a player) to Kelly or Tyrod. We are simply evaluating what he does well (and what he doesn't). The OP's point was that a lot of his strengths are similar strengths to what Kelly's were. That doesn't mean that he is like Kelly. It just means that both guys are big, stand tall in the pocket, have big arms and slide up when being pressured. Different players have different strengths. No one is putting him in the HOF.

Personally, I think that TT is the answer here. I think that Cardale has a chance to be the back up in 2017 and potentially a guy that has a really high ceiling. I could see Cardale getting traded in a few years (kind of like Alex Smith was). Having 2 guys that are starting caliber is a good problem. We are a couple years from that.

Brace yourself, the more we see of Cardale the more people are going to get excited about him. He has all the instinctual talents that EJ is missing. He does like to show his arm off and often doesn't set his feet, I'm sure the staff is working on his mechanics.

Edited by Commonsense

Kirby, I agree with all that. My biggest concern with TT is injury based on his size, history and playing style. Cardale has miles to go to be ready, but I LOVE the idea that we might (at some point) have multiple qualified QB's. I mean, when was the last time we had ONE?

Ok.. Before you flame away.. I'm not putting him in the HOF yet.. And Yes I know it is a 4th quarter preseason performance against scrubs.

With my disclaimer out of the way..None of the Bills QBs in the last 20 years has remotely reminded me of #12 ... but Jones's body language/ style immediately did.. From the first time I saw his college tape. And Sat night confirmed

Did he not pass the first glance test??. Consider he is new to taking snaps under center and not from the Gun all the time like he did in college.

https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloBills/videos/10154202841985659/

OK ... Here are the specific Kellyisms:

Classic over head throwing delivery ...check ( that throw to O' Leary over the middle was total Jim Kelly.. I've seen that throw to Andre Reed a hundred times... Watch and tell me otherwise?)

Tall Calm Pocket Presence.. Check

Situational Awareness..(run to sticks on 4th down)... check

Cockiness... ( he yelled at Roman to change play on last drive) ... Check

Insinct to step up into pocket rather than spin and scramble ... Check

Rifle Arm... Check

Big Tough Presence... Check

Let me be clear... The best thing for him is to sit on the bench this year and learn the nuances of the pro game.

I will go on the record here and now saying as long as he doesn't get ruined by having to play for any significant time in'16...move ahead in time and If TT gets injured at any time in '17.. Cardale will be a legit threat to steal TT's job sooner rather than late

He will be the starter next year, or year after when Tie Rod flames, and we can dump him without taking a huge financial loss. He is still very raw and needs some more time, but the intangibles are plain to see.

:beer: Agreed.

Absolutely

When a QB is taken often is the year he actually comes out......led a team to a national championship then got mothballed. He should have come out and not gone back.

He is absolutely a project......but one of the the things I am impressed about is when he makes a decision he goes with it......that is why EJ has failed.....EJ just wont pull the trigger.

He will be the starter next year, or year after when Tie Rod flames, and we can dump him without taking a huge financial loss. He is still very raw and needs some more time, but the intangibles are plain to see.

Hey now, funny guy. Fat fingers? Auto correct? Plain stupid?

Brace yourself, the more we see of Cardale the more people are going to get excited about him. He has all the instinctual talents that EJ is missing. He does like to show his arm off and often doesn't set his feet, I'm sure the staff is working on his mechanics.

My exact impressions of Cardale after his 1st pre-season game. At the very least, he looks the part... I can see the potential is there to be an NFL QB, and that's all I'm expecting from him right now as the #3. Never saw that with EJ, just too clumsy and bumbling. I still hope #2 QB is upgraded this summer & Cardale is allowed to sit & develop.

Certainly positives, good analysis, but I recall a few years back Jeff Tuel stepped into the 4th quarter of a preseason game and at the time seemed to have had all the tools and skills to be something special.

Way different

Cardale is one of the most physically gifted guys to play the position. He's 6'5" 250 LBs, can run and has a cannon. He also won a National Championship in his 3rd start. Jeff Tuel had none of that. He had a good preseason quarter. This conversation has nothing to do with Cardale in the preseason and everything to do with his skill set. No one is excited by what he did. We are excited by what he can physically do.

I can't believe Tuel is in the NFL with that arm. I loved the guy, but there is zero comparison between his arm and Cardale. I almost want this to stop, because we don't know if he can put it together, but Cardale has rare tools. So did some other guys who flamed out, so.... But you'll never be the guy without the tools.

I can't believe Tuel is in the NFL with that arm. I loved the guy, but there is zero comparison between his arm and Cardale. I almost want this to stop, because we don't know if he can put it together, but Cardale has rare tools. So did some other guys who flamed out, so.... But you'll never be the guy without the tools.

Well said Aug!! You tied a bow nicely around the topic.