Will EJ last the season?

No secret theyre committed to Nimrod. And after tonight it looks like Cardale can serve as backup and groomed as possible replacement. With EJ's contract up at the end of season and almost zero chance Bills exercise option, do they try to work a trade before the deadline? Say for a conditional 5-7th round pick?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Almost for sure. Finally the Bills have a decent QB situation: A clear starter who may be a franchise guy. A clear backup who doesn't make waves who has some experience in the NFL. And a clear developmental project who is 1-2 years away but has terrific potential. Cardale would get killed against real NFL defenses in real NFL games right now and he played great tonight.

Yes. Almost for sure. Finally the Bills have a decent QB situation: A clear starter who may be a franchise guy. A clear backup who doesn't make waves who has some experience in the NFL. And a clear developmental project who is 1-2 years away but has terrific potential. Cardale would get killed against real NFL defenses in real NFL games right now and he played great tonight.

Agreed. Unless we get a too-good-to-pass-up offer from a team that ends up really needing a QB midway through the season, and Cardale shows more progress, EJ stays. I don't know if I'm ready to trust Cardale based on his single preseason performance agaisnt third and fourth stringers.

Agreed. Unless we get a too-good-to-pass-up offer from a team that ends up really needing a QB midway through the season, and Cardale shows more progress, EJ stays. I don't know if I'm ready to trust Cardale based on his single preseason performance agaisnt third and fourth stringers.

And you're ready to trust EJ after Jacksonville?

It's a wash, but no one is trading for EJ.

and use an extra roster spot keeping 3 QBs? clearly if Cardale is sent to PS another team plucks him

And you're ready to trust EJ after Jacksonville?

It's a wash, but no one is trading for EJ.

Redskins got a pick for Jason Campbell. Could definitely see someone offering a late round for EJ

I'm just curious. But let's say right now the Bills have a win and you're in the playoffs, a loss and you are out. Do you start EJ or Cardale in that game?

Cardale. No book out on him yet. No tendencies to force, except what they can glean from college tape.

I think running the ball 40 times and have Cardale throw 15 80 yard play action bombs gives us a better chance to win than anything EJ can do under center.

Cardale. No book out on him yet. No tendencies to force, except what they can glean from college tape.

I think running the ball 40 times and have Cardale throw 15 80 yard play action bombs gives us a better chance to win than anything EJ can do under center.

Fair enough.

I would imagine 96 head coaches and OCs and GMs would violently disagree but that's cool you think that way.

Guarantee they prefer to play against Cardale in a real NFL game. All of them. Maybe not in a couple months or a year from now. But surely right now. Every single one of them.

I guarantee otherwise. Sounds like we're at an impasse. I'll call Jim Schwartz, you call Pagano.

I just saw on an Indy website that the first five possessions of the Indy offense gained 18 yards and a single first down against our first defense.

If we play against Scott Tolzien every week I will guarantee a playoff berth.

Well - it sounds like Cardale looked good last night. I'm about to watch the game on the replay in 15 minutes. Not seeing the game, there is not a team that would trade for EJ for a conditional 7th round pick even mr. Irrelevant. EJ is paid for with the rookie contract so as I've said before, he plays out as the back up this year, we cut him, and maybe he has a chance on someone else's team as their 2nd or 3rd QB. He'll never see the starting role ever.

He's just not good enough, but probably can be a 3rd for someone.

Well - it sounds like Cardale looked good last night. I'm about to watch the game on the replay in 15 minutes. Not seeing the game, there is not a team that would trade for EJ for a conditional 7th round pick even mr. Irrelevant. EJ is paid for with the rookie contract so as I've said before, he plays out as the back up this year, we cut him, and maybe he has a chance on someone else's team as their 2nd or 3rd QB. He'll never see the starting role ever.

He's just not good enough, but probably can be a 3rd for someone.

He's not bad enough to only be a 3rd QB. Back up QB is a perfectly suitable role for him in the NFL.

He's not bad enough to only be a 3rd QB. Back up QB is a perfectly suitable role for him in the NFL.

That Jax game says otherwise.

I know it was only preseason game one, but first time out and only 11 game college guy, he looked just as good as the 2 year college starter and 4th year veteran. It shouldn't be like that. It did and he was and in my opinion he just made EJ expendable as the Bills need roster spots.

Edited by old school

Short answer - Yes.

Long answer - As some have already said, the QB position finally has some stability. EJ is an average to maybe slightly below average backup. If you trade him, you will get a 6th rounder at best, it's not worth it. At least he's been around, knows the system, the coaches know his strengths and weaknesses, and he appears to be a really good teammate.

Jones is a project, the best thing they can do for him is stick to the plan, let him learn and develop without the pressure of having to go in and play now. Also remember he played against mostly guys that will either be cut or end up on a practice squad (3rd, 4th, 5th stringers) so always temper that enthusiasm. He has an amazing arm and showed some decent things so chalk it up to a step in the right direction.

What I do find encouraging overall is that the team seems to have a drafted pretty well again. Everyone liked the first two picks and they will get on the field after they heal. I find it amusing that seemingly the same people who say you shouldn't grade a draft a day after it is over are condemning the draft because the top two guys are injured.

The other picks have shown well in camp or flashed glimpses that they may have an NFL future (Washington, Jones, Seymour). All good signs.

In a year of muted expectations, I think they are poised to surprise in a positive way.

This!

We have more QB depth than we've had in a long time. Let Cardale develop this year, and be #2 next year. Until then, EJ's a good backup to have. He knows the offense, and looks a lot more comfortable as a QB under Roman, than he did Marrone. Hell, even his meltdown game, he turned things around. EJ will get his shot elsewhere next season, but I really don't want us relying on Cardale quite yet, if Tyrod goes down.

I don't think this is even under debate at obd.

TT is #q1

EJ is 2

CJ is 3 and will be developed to eventually be the 2

if they can, why not get a draft pick now for a bench warmer theyre almost certain wont be here next season?

Edited by truth on hold

Agreed, and again his contract is already paid, so why not keep EJ this year. Cardale needs at least a year to be a 3rd before even considering him as their primary back up. What will be best for Cardale is do what TT did, and be a back up for his rookie contract, learning each year.

It would be nice to see Cardale develop enough this year to be the #2 next year. Maybe find an older veteran s insurance. Lastly, I wish EJ the best. I hope he finds another team next year. I just don't want to trust him in a Bills uniform.