Will EJ last the season?

To trade or otherwise jettison EJ the Bills would first need to acquire another backup to take his spot as the #2 this season. That's unlikely at this point. At least EJ has been in the offense for a full year so that has to be considered. Even if a slightly better QB could be acquired, would that QB - who doesn't know the system as well as EJ - outperform him? Finding a better option is going to be very tough at this point, so EJ plays it out this season and we hope for him to get a decent contract elsewhere so we get a comp pick.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well - it sounds like Cardale looked good last night. I'm about to watch the game on the replay in 15 minutes. Not seeing the game, there is not a team that would trade for EJ for a conditional 7th round pick even mr. Irrelevant. EJ is paid for with the rookie contract so as I've said before, he plays out as the back up this year, we cut him, and maybe he has a chance on someone else's team as their 2nd or 3rd QB. He'll never see the starting role ever.

He's just not good enough, but probably can be a 3rd for someone.

Cardale was erratic but he was making some amazing throws. He definitely has the strongest arm of all three QBs. Sometimes he looked like he was throwing darts.

Cardale was erratic but he was making some amazing throws. He definitely has the strongest arm of all three QBs. Sometimes he looked like he was throwing darts.

Every bills fan in the world ,knows he has the strongest arm. Now how he reads #1 defenses and is consistent down the line ,will have to wait and see. One -pre-season game against scrubs won`t fool me.

Every bills fan in the world ,knows he has the strongest arm. Now how he reads #1 defenses and is consistent down the line ,will have to wait and see. One -pre-season game against scrubs won`t fool me.

He has good football instincts. He's a gamer. He stands tall and sees the field (he always has). Cardale isn't too accurate but he can do everything on the football field.

He has good football instincts. He's a gamer. He stands tall and sees the field (he always has). Cardale isn't too accurate but he can do everything on the football field.

The thing I like about Cardale is that when he made a decision....he went with it whether it be a throw or taking off and running (and that part of his game is impressive as well)

It is true this was not against number 1's......but you can see the kid is a player.

I still say a year on the bench is going to be the smart move....he hardly played any college football compared to his counterparts

How do you know this already. I`m talking against #1 defenses. Not scrubs. Very easily fooled. Not me. Seen this lots and lots times. Homer till the end.

The thing I like about Cardale is that when he made a decision....he went with it whether it be a throw or taking off and running (and that part of his game is impressive as well)

It is true this was not against number 1's......but you can see the kid is a player.

I still say a year on the bench is going to be the smart move....he hardly played any college football compared to his counterparts

Yeah he needs some time but he's very decisive. I've seen every snap he's ever taken in a game and the next time that he gets happy feet will be the first. He's really comfortable in the pocket. He just needs time to learn and to work on his accuracy.

How do you know this already. I`m talking against #1 defenses. Not scrubs. Very easily fooled. Not me. Seen this lots and lots times. Homer till the end.

As an OSU fan I've seen every snap that he's ever taken. I'm not basing my opinion on 1 preseason half. I'm basing it on his college career as well He didn't play a ton of games in college but that 10+ game sample size is enough for me to have a sense of his strengths and weaknesses. I'll bet Yolo would concur with my assessment of Cardale. Edited by Kirby Jackson

He handed them 21 points. No QB has ever handed a team 21 points and not been responsible for the loss (or at least a big reason for the loss).

This is true, but people put way too much emphasis on one game (both ways - good and bad) and it is to EJ's credit that he kept his head up and played much better in the 2nd half.

I've posted this before but I'll do it again for shucks and grins. QB who have had a game with a passer rating of zero

Check it out, you'll see that along with plenty o' duds, there are some solid QB and some quite elite QB talents on that list, some more than once (Bob Griese, Johnny Unitas, Jack Kemp, Terry Bradshaw 3x, Warren Moon, Archie, Eli, and Peyton Manning)

EJ is not the piece of cr*p some people make him out to be because of a terrible, horrible, no-good half against Jax. Cardale is not going to pass him on the depth chart on the basis of a promising pre-season game against scrubs on D.

EJ gifted the Jags points, but he also brought the team back. A questionable PI call and a blown coverage gave the game back to them. It was a disaster to watch, but if we didn't let Jacksonville score on us that last time we'd be talking more about EJ's resiliency than his horrible first half.

This is true, but people put way too much emphasis on one game (both ways - good and bad) and it is to EJ's credit that he kept his head up and played much better in the 2nd half.

I've posted this before but I'll do it again for shucks and grins. QB who have had a game with a passer rating of zero

Check it out, you'll see that along with plenty o' duds, there are some solid QB and some quite elite QB talents on that list, some more than once (Bob Griese, Johnny Unitas, Jack Kemp, Terry Bradshaw 3x, Warren Moon, Archie, Eli, and Peyton Manning)

EJ is not the piece of cr*p some people make him out to be because of a terrible, horrible, no-good half against Jax. Cardale is not going to pass him on the depth chart on the basis of a promising pre-season game against scrubs on D.

I agree with all of this. I was responding to someone that said they lost the game because of the defense not EJ. All that I was saying is that if you hand a team 21 points and your team loses you were a big reason why.

I think that EJ is getting better and is in a good role. I really like that he's been talking to Chase Daniel about being a backup. Chase is the perfect backup IMO. He shadowed Drew Brees for years (dinner, golf, they did everything together) and he played for Payton & Reid. Alex Smith is another smart QB that he played behind. Chase knows what it takes to do that job as well as anyone (which is why he signed that big contract).

Yeah he needs some time but he's very decisive. I've seen every snap he's ever taken in a game and the next time that he gets happy feet will be the first. He's really comfortable in the pocket. He just needs time to learn and to work on his accuracy.

As an OSU fan I've seen every snap that he's ever taken. I'm not basing my opinion on 1 preseason half. I'm basing it on his college career as wel. He didn't play a ton of games in college but that 10+ game sample size is enough for me to have a sense of his strengths and weaknesses. I'll bet Yolo would concur with my assessment of Cardale.

I'm sure the Bills would concur which is why they drafted him and will likely hold a roster spot for him. But it doesn't mean he's ready to start against NFL D's.

As all know, there are many QB who look promising in college who fail to transition.

I'm sure the Bills would concur which is why they drafted him and will likely hold a roster spot for him. But it doesn't mean he's ready to start against NFL D's.

As all know, there are many QB who look promising in college who fail to transition.

He is certainly not ready to play regularly. He comes from Urban's system which is a lot different from an NFL system. Ironically his skill set is more of an NFL skill set though. It will take him time but he has talent. He needs to learn and work on his accuracy but he will stand tall in the pocket and let the game come to him.

EJ gifted the Jags points, but he also brought the team back. A questionable PI call and a blown coverage gave the game back to them. It was a disaster to watch, but if we didn't let Jacksonville score on us that last time we'd be talking more about EJ's resiliency than his horrible first half.

This ^^^^^^

He handed them 21 points. No QB has ever handed a team 21 points and not been responsible for the loss (or at least a big reason for the loss).

Guess you forgot this game which doesnt exactly fit your wording but those 5 Romo interceptions still didnt stop the COwboys from winning.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/12/24/tbt-despite-romo%E2%80%99s-turnovers-last-buffalo-trip-among-garrett%E2%80%99s-favorites

Edited by Fan in Chicago

and use an extra roster spot keeping 3 QBs? clearly if Cardale is sent to PS another team plucks him

Redskins got a pick for Jason Campbell. Could definitely see someone offering a late round for EJ

Wouldn't it be nice if the NFL allowed each team to designate one player on the Practice Squad that was untouchable. More often than not, that player would be a QB.

No, if EJ hadn't bumbled and stumbled on that last drive and won the game, then I might be talking about EJ's resiliency. As it is, he put up some points against the Jax prevent D after handing them the game on a silver platter.

We saw EJ run like that last year on his way to 0-2 as a starting with more TO's than TD's. What's with the short term memory with this player?

Terrible is an understatement. 4 minutes of play so bad, that EJ should've been investigated for betting on the Jags?

No reps with the starters, unlike every other backup QB who plays a ton with the starters. Not to mention he had been practicing as the starter for 2 weeks and got worse.

He's brutal Gug. If EJ only gift wraps 14 instead of 21, we win. Jeff Tuel could've won that game.

Fine and I think no one is denying thatEJ put the Bills in a big hole against Jax. But to say that CJones is more ready to be a backup than EJ is just not logical. That is the premise of this thread. Dont use your EJ dislike to shift the goal posts