2016 Brazil Summer Olympics Thread

And it is consistent. Why would you trust anything in some places, they can't even keep the pools from turning green. As sad as it sounds, McDonald's probably has the highest standards. Would you trust even a glass of water in that town... Unless it was sealed in a bottle and had a big corporate name on it like Dasani/Coke! Hope they all got their Hep A shots!

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While Bolt and Phelps are unbelievable athletes, i am getting a little tired of the narrative that they are the best ever due to winning in X amount of consecutive games, or X amount of medals over a long period of time.

Comparing longevity in the Olympics for the post-1992 athlete to the pre-1992 athlete is just ridiculous.

Mark Spitz could not continue to swim even into his mid-20's , he had to feed himself and his gfamily and get a job. Back then, unless you came from a rich background, you swam till your Senior year in college, and then you were done...maybe a year past if as mentioned your folks were rich....Remember, you could not even be on a box of Wheaties unless you gave up your Olympic eligibility. The national team could not even give you a stipend, that made you a pro! So you had to train and have a full time job that you could prove you got no special favors to aid in your training...in other words not happening!

Same was true of track guys as well..why more of them wanted to play football back then.

I know i am an old codger, i just think they shortchange the older athletes by not mentioning the dramatic change that occurred post 1992.

Now get off my lawn

Broadcasters always have to be looking for the "next greatest" athlete so they have stories to tell...never changes. They need a continuing influx of "best ever" or they don't know what to do with themselves...

By the way, the golf was outstanding. Kuchar's final round 63 to grab the bronze was a thing of beauty...and he could have shot 60 or 61 with a couple more putts dropping. In four years at Tokyo I hope there aren't issues keeping the "top" guys from competing because it was a great tournament.

While Bolt and Phelps are unbelievable athletes, i am getting a little tired of the narrative that they are the best ever due to winning in X amount of consecutive games, or X amount of medals over a long period of time.

Comparing longevity in the Olympics for the post-1992 athlete to the pre-1992 athlete is just ridiculous.

Mark Spitz could not continue to swim even into his mid-20's , he had to feed himself and his gfamily and get a job. Back then, unless you came from a rich background, you swam till your Senior year in college, and then you were done...maybe a year past if as mentioned your folks were rich....Remember, you could not even be on a box of Wheaties unless you gave up your Olympic eligibility. The national team could not even give you a stipend, that made you a pro! So you had to train and have a full time job that you could prove you got no special favors to aid in your training...in other words not happening!

Same was true of track guys as well..why more of them wanted to play football back then.

I know i am an old codger, i just think they shortchange the older athletes by not mentioning the dramatic change that occurred post 1992.

Now get off my lawn

I wonder how many of our 555 Olympiads don't come from a rich background. As far as Spitz, I think he was the beneficiary of a lot of training as a youngster that many families couldn't afford ... even back then.

"Mark Andrew Spitz was born into a Jewish family in Modesto, California, on February 10, 1950. After moving to Hawaii at age 2, he learned how to swim from his father, Arnold. The young Spitz took to the water like a fish, swimming nearly every day at Waikiki Beach.

The family returned to California after four years in Hawaii, and Spitz soon began competitive swimming. By age 9, he was training at the Arden Hills Swim Club in Sacramento under Sherm Chavoor, a famed instructor who would become a lifelong mentor.

At 10, Spitz was already on track for Olympic success. He held 17 national age-group records and one world mark, and was named the world’s best 10-and-under swimmer. Spitz won the first of 24 AAU titles in 1966, and the following year he captured five gold medals at the Pan-American Games in Winnipeg, Canada."

Edited by Gugny

i must say...ain't nobody had a cocked gun put at their head and said"whatever".... ever. So your right, something us way off on this story

That was just the language he used to transition the story. He's definitely playing the tough guy act in his story, but from his description there, I don't get the impression the he said a single word.

I wonder how many of our 555 Olympiads don't come from a rich background. As far as Spitz, I think he was the beneficiary of a lot of training as a youngster that many families couldn't afford ... even back then.

"Mark Andrew Spitz was born into a Jewish family in Modesto, California, on February 10, 1950. A

Like so many sports today Gug, the ability to pay for specialized coaching , travel teams etc absolutely figures into success...as it always has.

But that being said, look at Spitz's birthday...his last competitive race came at age 22. He wanted to cash in and sell posters and Wheatie boxes etc. So he had to hang the suit up back then.

No doubt if they had the same rules in place in 72 that they have today, guy maybe could have swum in 3 more Olympics and go 5 like Phelps..and who knows what his medal count would be!

Again, not taking anything away from Phelps and the athletes of today, but they have an opportunity to make a living now in so-called "Olympic Sports" that was just not there pre 1992.

I only want some of these announcers to point that out.

That was just the language he used to transition the story. He's definitely playing the tough guy act in his story, but from his description there, I don't get the impression the he said a single word.

it did play different live then in an article..agreed.

Now get off my lawn

I agree. Why I was arguing the Thorpe thing. Today's athletes live in a dream world.

Bolt's net worth is 60 million. Pros shouldn't be Olympians.

Like so many sports today Gug, the ability to pay for specialized coaching , travel teams etc absolutely figures into success...as it always has.

But that being said, look at Spitz's birthday...his last competitive race came at age 22. He wanted to cash in and sell posters and Wheatie boxes etc. So he had to hang the suit up back then.

No doubt if they had the same rules in place in 72 that they have today, guy maybe could have swum in 3 more Olympics and go 5 like Phelps..and who knows what his medal count would be!

Again, not taking anything away from Phelps and the athletes of today, but they have an opportunity to make a living now in so-called "Olympic Sports" that was just not there pre 1992.

I only want some of these announcers to point that out.

it did play different live then in an article..agreed.

Great points/agreed.

Mike and Mike, this morning, were discussing "what's next" for Phelps. Apparently, he's worth about $55 mil., right now. A 35-year-old swimmer won a gold yesterday; Phelps will be 35 when the next Olympics roll around.

He says he's done, but staying out of retirement would undoubtedly result in more endorsements over the next 4 years as he's gearing up for another Games.

Back to your original point, it got me to wondering - what did Bruce Jenner do after the Olympics to keep himself relevant and get rich? Was it just the infomercials? I honestly don't know.

I'm talking, of course, about the years prior to reality TV.

Great points/agreed.

Mike and Mike, this morning, were discussing "what's next" for Phelps. Apparently, he's worth about $55 mil., right now. A 35-year-old swimmer won a gold yesterday; Phelps will be 35 when the next Olympics roll around.

He says he's done, but staying out of retirement would undoubtedly result in more endorsements over the next 4 years as he's gearing up for another Games.

Back to your original point, it got me to wondering - what did Bruce Jenner do after the Olympics to keep himself relevant and get rich? Was it just the infomercials? I honestly don't know.

You mean before he became a wall decoration for Robert Kardashian's wife?

Wheaties royalties.

Now get off my lawn

They were "true" amateurs supposedly, now they don't have to hide the cash.

Broadcasters always have to be looking for the "next greatest" athlete so they have stories to tell...never changes. They need a continuing influx of "best ever" or they don't know what to do with themselves...

By the way, the golf was outstanding. Kuchar's final round 63 to grab the bronze was a thing of beauty...and he could have shot 60 or 61 with a couple more putts dropping. In four years at Tokyo I hope there aren't issues keeping the "top" guys from competing because it was a great tournament.

You are correct the golf was outstanding. I loved Kucher saying he never thought he could be happy finishing 3rd but winning a medal for his country was great.

Great points/agreed.

Wheaties... But it must have phucked him up eating all those free Wheaties. What the hell was General Mills putting in those damn things!

Great points/agreed.

Obviously made a fortune in royalties from "Can't Stop the Music."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080492/

Great points/agreed.

Got his nuts cut off and became a Kardashian women.

Didn't Usain Bolt tear his hamstring about two months ago? How does he still win the 100, when a pulled hamstring puts out an NFL player for almost that long?

Usain Bolt is just too dominant.

They discovered he has a freak mutation which gives him an extra hamstring. Next silly question needing a silly answer?

It was a grade one tear (a mild muscle strain).

Wheaties... But it must have phucked him up eating all those free Wheaties. What the hell was General Mills putting in those damn things!

Got his nuts cut off and became a Kardashian women.

So eating a lot of Wheaties leads to that!? Glad I prefer Cheerios.

They discovered he has a freak mutation which gives him an extra hamstring. Next silly question needing a silly answer?

It was a grade one tear (a mild muscle strain).

So eating a lot of Wheaties leads to that!? Glad I prefer Cheerios.

Exactly... Grade one tear sounds so badazz though, easy way to get around running trials. Like a football vet not wanting to play in a preseason game. Bolt is like a thoroughbred horse. Don't run him if you don't have to... He's the epitome of pampered. Few races, then shut him down for the next time. Say: mild muscle strain, that doesn't sound too nasty.

And yes... In the old days, Wheaties made one badazz... THINGS have obviously changed! Make America Great Again!

:-P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois