2016 Brazil Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Greatest ever" what? Greatest swimmer ever? Yeah, probably. Greatest Olympian ever? Maybe...warrants further consideration. Greatest athlete ever? I don't think so. Again, I would say Jim Thorpe, Bo Jackson, and Jim Brown are amongst the best athletes ever.

How many individual Olympic victories do they have?

Jesus could have given him a run in the 200 IM if his backstroke was any good.

Yeah, but Phelps can hit a curve ball...

How many individual Olympic victories do they have?

Thorpe?

There simply wasn't as many events to get medals in. And anyway, he had to make money in the real world as a professional just to put food on the table... You @$&!ing idiot... It was the early 1900s. Like he (Thorpe) could swim till he was 40, indulge in smoking the herb, and down 12,000 kcal a day? THEN, they still stripped him of his medals.

Thorpe, had to live in the real @$&!ing world of hard knocks. Far cry from Phelps' world. Medal count means nothing in a highly specialized sport.

He's the greatest swimmer of all time, but not the GOAT athlete.

Thorpe?

There simply wasn't as many events to get medals in. And anyway, he had to make money in the real world as a professional just to put food on the table... You @$&!ing idiot... It was the early 1900s. Like he (Thorpe) could swim till he was 40, indulge in smoking the herb, and down 12,000 kcal a day? THEN, they still stripped him of his medals.

Thorpe, had to live in the real @$&!ing world of hard knocks. Far cry from Phelps' world. Medal count means nothing in a highly specialized sport.

He's the greatest swimmer of all time, but not the GOAT athlete.

Okay, let's try this a different way...

How many 2200-year old sports records did Thorpe break?

Okay, let's try this a different way...

How many 2200-year old sports records did Thorpe break?

He participated in only the 1914 olympics and won the pentathlon and the decathlon. After that the guy needed to make a living (I understand he was a big drinker), so he went on to play professional football, baseball, and basketball. If he could have been a career Olympian, like Phelps, who knows how many medals he would have won.

I wonder if that fairy sprinter from 2200 years ago could have played 3 American professional sports? Surely not Michael Phelps.

He participated in only the 1914 olympics and won the pentathlon and the decathlon. After that the guy needed to make a living (I understand he was a big drinker), so he went on to play professional football, baseball, and basketball. If he could have been a career Olympian, like Phelps, who knows how many medals he would have won.

I wonder if that fairy sprinter from 2200 years ago could have played 3 American professional sports? Surely not Michael Phelps.

^^This^^ my cargo shorts wearing brethren!

I love Canadian Womens Swimming :)

Only thing we have been good at this Olympics.

Well, that and womens soccer

CBF

Apparently she is the first summer Olympian born this century to win gold. Pretty cool little thing to be able to say when she goes back to high school.