AstroNotes3: Bills Camp Thursday August 4

Astrobot

1. As always, thank you, Astro.

2. Sammy Watkins really is a dick.

Judgy much?

I think it's great when players are generous about interacting with fans, but I would never judge a guy for having his routine pre-workout pre-practice or pre-game.

From what I can tell, Tyrod doesn't sign either before practice, his routine is jog to his pylon, kneel down and pray.

Let the man be. If he stands up autograph seekers at a pre-arranged, publicized autographing event like Popular Player X did once then you can call him a dick

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10. I may be wrong but I think there is a serious lack of fundamentals being practiced. It could be I missed them, it could be because they are professionals but I am not noticing any of the basics being drilled. I was hoping to see home technical drills (form tackling, blocking, pursuit, etc).

Anyways just some thoughts for those unable to attend. Go Bills.

From what I recall about all the rule changes - you get so little practice time in pads that you really have to spend as much as possible working on practice reps.

FWIW, my thoughts on practice today:

1. Tyrod looked cool, calm and collected. Even when the pocket collapsed, he showed good awareness and was extremely mobile in the pocket. EJ, from what I saw, had a decent day. His mechanics are noticeably different, although the nose of the fb always seems to be pointing down. Cardale is a monster but I didn't really notice anything special from the pocket from him.

2. On the WR battle.I'm not sure what the Dez Lewis hype early on was about. To me, he appears to be jag. He is a long strider and is slow out of his breaks. He did not show anything to make me think otherwise. Although I've been a critic, I thought Goodwin looked on point today. He made a number of catches while creating NFL size separation with defenders. Hopefully the guy can stay healthy. Walter Powell made a few nice catches but also dropped a ball and jumped offsides. I wonder if special teams value will strengthen his run at a roster spot.

3. Ragland. First off, what a massive man. Although they weren't love tackling, I often noticed him near the ball. He dropped into zone coverage a number of times, but did not see him in man.

4. Schmitt. He really kicks the hell out of it.

5. RB rotation: though I aren't sure what it was specifically. It looks to me as if 1.McCoy 2a. Bush 2b. Gillislee 3. Wilder. I noticed the Twos seemed to rotate backs. I wouldn't be surprised to see these four on the roster as the RBs for the first 4 weeks of the season. When Karlos returns, Gillislee may draw the short straw. I saw nothing of note from J Williams.

6. Gilmore and Darby are an excellent 1/2 punch. Both consistently showed excellent breaks on the ball. I am confident in these two on islands. Unfortunately, our depth at CB seems slim. No one else impressed, today at least, IMO.

7. TE is a weird bird this year. I approch this position by trying to think about what G Ro will want from this position this year. With the number of motions and shifts today, I think he is leaning more towards a versatile player and less towards a one trick pony (thank god Matthew Mulligan is no longer a Bill). I like Clay as the one and Gragg second in. Aside from that, it gets blurry. Preseason will be telling.

8. Hughes consistently showed up in the backfield today. Not a flashy player, but I expect 10 plus sacks from him this year no problem.

9. I don't know a whole lot about our safetys, but I can't help but thinking that they've improved simply by having Ed Reed with them. This guy seems to be always involved in conversation with a man in blue.

10. I may be wrong but I think there is a serious lack of fundamentals being practiced. It could be I missed them, it could be because they are professionals but I am not noticing any of the basics being drilled. I was hoping to see home technical drills (form tackling, blocking, pursuit, etc).

Thank you very kindly. Good addition to Deans work.

Judgy much?

I think it's great when players are generous about interacting with fans, but I would never judge a guy for having his routine pre-workout pre-practice or pre-game.

From what I can tell, Tyrod doesn't sign either before practice, his routine is jog to his pylon, kneel down and pray.

Let the man be. If he stands up autograph seekers at a pre-arranged, publicized autographing event like Popular Player X did once then you can call him a dick

Stevie in East Rochester.

dick move. and you do not mess with Kitty Van Bortel. Thats why he was traded probably

From what I recall about all the rule changes - you get so little practice time in pads that you really have to spend as much as possible working on practice reps.

Maybe I'm old school but I think this team lacks a strong foundation of fundamentals and disciple. I know the rule change has an impact on each practice though it's possible they do more of these drills when in uppers or only helmets

THANKS ASTRO!!!!! The time you and other guys put into content like this and doing stuff like aggregating articles before games is why I still come here. I really appreciate it.

I'd like to see you say that to my face. Coward.

What is the internet equivalent of roid rage? Doritos dust?

I am told that Watkins was signing after practice.

[Riot police take off glass visors]

Wonderful, looks like the issue is settled...

it's easy to do stuff like this when you get paid for it.

Thanks for the message board version of:

Guy 1 to Guy 2- You looking at my girl?!

Guy 2 - Nope

Guy 1 - What, she's not good enough for you?!

THANKS ASTRO!!!!! The time you and other guys put into content like this and doing stuff like aggregating articles before games is why I still come here. I really appreciate it.

------

Thanks for the message board version of:

Guy 1 to Guy 2- You looking at my girl?!

Guy 2 - Nope

Guy 1 - What, she's not good enough for you?!

To the first: Yes, Indeed - Ranks Rastro. Highlight of my preseason.

To the second: Truth.

Open apology to Astro:

I'm sorry I derailed your thread.

Your camp reports are, hands down, the best threads of the entire off/preseason. Please don't let my lack of courtesy/respect deter you from posting your reports. They truly are the best.

Sincerely,

Gugny

Thanks Astro. These reports are like bars of gold. Knowledge and talent like yours used to report about my Buffalo Bills is just what a fanatic like me craves!

These reports on Tyrod and the Sammy-less WR's have got me excited! Along w/ chemistry between Brown and Ragland.

Go Bills!

Scroll down to 14 here to read my notes on our 2017 RD1 pick: http://www.drafttek.com/2017-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

Thank you for all you you do, Astrobot. :beer:

As for the mock draft, I hate that we are picking at 14. :censored:

That being said, Jonathan Allen would be a welcome addition and would make a lot of sense.

As you know, I really want Jake Butt, so I hope we are drafting much later in round 1 to get him.

I was a bit surprised by a couple picks in this mock. Desmond King going in the top 5? Luke Falk is a first rounder?

It'll be a fun college season as always.

GO BLUE!!! GO BILLS!!!

Autographs are dumb for grown men but stopping and signing a few things for kids wouldn't be that much to ask would it? Hopefully he has the sense to do that for the younger fans.

it's about making money off of those Autographs.

The only Autographs I want are Kyle Williams and Richie Incognito.

Scroll down to 14 here to read my notes on our 2017 RD1 pick: http://www.drafttek.com/2017-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

That's a funny way to spell Christian McCaffrey :D

1. Tyrod looked cool, calm and collected. Even when the pocket collapsed, he showed good awareness and was extremely mobile in the pocket. EJ, from what I saw, had a decent day. His mechanics are noticeably different, although the nose of the fb always seems to be pointing down. Cardale is a monster but I didn't really notice anything special from the pocket from him.

2. On the WR battle.I'm not sure what the Dez Lewis hype early on was about. To me, he appears to be jag. He is a long strider and is slow out of his breaks. He did not show anything to make me think otherwise. Although I've been a critic, I thought Goodwin looked on point today. He made a number of catches while creating NFL size separation with defenders. Hopefully the guy can stay healthy. Walter Powell made a few nice catches but also dropped a ball and jumped offsides. I wonder if special teams value will strengthen his run at a roster spot.

3. Ragland. First off, what a massive man. Although they weren't love tackling, I often noticed him near the ball. He dropped into zone coverage a number of times, but did not see him in man.

5. RB rotation: though I aren't sure what it was specifically. It looks to me as if 1.McCoy 2a. Bush 2b. Gillislee 3. Wilder. I noticed the Twos seemed to rotate backs. I wouldn't be surprised to see these four on the roster as the RBs for the first 4 weeks of the season. When Karlos returns, Gillislee may draw the short straw. I saw nothing of note from J Williams.

6. Gilmore and Darby are an excellent 1/2 punch. Both consistently showed excellent breaks on the ball. I am confident in these two on islands. Unfortunately, our depth at CB seems slim. No one else impressed, today at least, IMO.

7. TE is a weird bird this year. I approch this position by trying to think about what G Ro will want from this position this year. With the number of motions and shifts today, I think he is leaning more towards a versatile player and less towards a one trick pony (thank god Matthew Mulligan is no longer a Bill). I like Clay as the one and Gragg second in. Aside from that, it gets blurry. Preseason will be telling.

8. Hughes consistently showed up in the backfield today. Not a flashy player, but I expect 10 plus sacks from him this year no problem.

9. I don't know a whole lot about our safetys, but I can't help but thinking that they've improved simply by having Ed Reed with them. This guy seems to be always involved in conversation with a man in blue.

Thanks! I'm sort of glad there was no love tackling going on...this is football, after all. ;)

My suspicions about Dez Lewis seem to be correct, unfortunately...OTAs are not real football. I hope during the PS games he shows something.

no longer allowed, it's not nice.

Thanks! I'm sort of glad there was no love tackling going on...this is football, after all. ;)

My suspicions about Dez Lewis seem to be correct, unfortunately...OTAs are not real football. I hope during the PS games he shows something.

There are players that look great in OTA's, but disappear in training camp/preseason. There are also players that look great in training camp/preseason, but disappear in the regular season (such as Keith Ellison and Trent Edwards). I wonder if Dez Lewis is falling into the first category.