Bills announce contract extension for Tyrod Taylor

If their is one thing you should learn when it comes to the NFL, outside consensus doesn't matter.

Our resident troll is flat out wrong about what the scouting community felt about Manuel as a whole. He is confusing talking head pundits with actual NFL scouting reports, of which I personally discussed with three scouts (Buffalo, SD, Jax). The consensus at the time was EJ Manuel was rising steadily up the charts from his bowl game, Senior Bowl, combine, and interview process. He was solidly considered a top 25-30 pick by draft time and there were strong indications to suggest the Jets and Philly were going to make moves to get him in that range.

Lots of "experts" took Jerry Jones' assertion that the Cowboys had a 4th round grade on Manuel and ran with it. One of those "experts" was Greg Cosell who also claimed that Ryan Nassib was the best QB in that class. Such is the "consensus" of the experts.

Our resident troll is doing nothing but making yet another keen 20/20 hindsight argument that EJ was a mistake. It's unfortunate that Manuel hasn't shown enough development and nobody feels worse than he and the Bills at this stage, but AT THE TIME, and GIVEN OUR CIRCUMSTANCES, it made perfect sense to acquire him in the manner that we did.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@RapSheet

#Bills QB Tyrod Taylor will make $9.5M in '16, then the team has an option. If they pick it up, he gets $27.5M in '17 & the extension begins

hmmm, interesting.

wonder what is past year 1? is the $27 M it terms of guarantee? If so, that is a steal too.

Wonder where this buyout comes in..if in fact there is one.

Should i read this as the Bills gave Tyrod $6M for this year in exchange for getting him to take a smaller guarantee next year, and not have to deal with the tag, next year?

Edited by plenzmd1

@cianaf

This is generally the case when the guaranteed money doesn't come out quickly. Agents want to boast when they win.

Sounds like Tyrod lost.

No he didn't. He got money early, will not be franchised and not have injury worries as can happen when you are on last year of contract and under franchise tag. He did not lose; he was not a FA like QB Texans signed who Denver did not think worth using their tag on.

For players who not like this kind of scenario? Talk to your union rep and president.

OT, but this thread is an example of why I hate it when speculation threads turn into news threads... you have to wade through pages of outdated discussion, leaks, and bickering until you find the spot where the most recent news got reported.

Exactly. This thread should have been closed w/other posts spun off into new thread.

I'll join the fun.

In short tho, the only type of contract that would not hinder us from drafting a QB would be one that's backloaded or almost entirely incentives.

Wrong. You could have one with Team options that don't need to be picked up or bought out. Seems as if there is one of these points after year 1. So.... if they have a high pick and TT doesn't perform they could pick without any hindrance from this contract.

@RapSheet

#Bills QB Tyrod Taylor will make $9.5M in '16, then the team has an option. If they pick it up, he gets $27.5M in '17 & the extension begins

That's the kind of contract I was hoping to see. I'd have preferred a two year show-me period, but I can certainly live with one year if it means only adding $6.5M in 2016. I was thinking a guaranteed two year show-me period at the rate of about $24M (equivalent to his $3M salary in 2016 plus franchise tag amount for 2017) before the regular expected market value years kicked in. But this might be way better. Looks to be way less risk here.

Exactly. This thread should have been closed w/other posts spun off into new thread.

Agreed! I'm 20 minutes late to the party, and I have to go page by page by page, trying to figure out where today's shenanigans started...

That's the kind of contract I was hoping to see. I'd have preferred a two year show-me period, but I can certainly live with one year if it means only adding $6.5M in 2016. I was thinking a guaranteed two year show-me period at the rate of about $24M (equivalent to his $3M salary in 2016 plus franchise tag amount for 2017) before the regular expected market value years kicked in. But this might be way better. Looks to be way less risk here.

If your happy Im happy!

Our resident troll is flat out wrong about what the scouting community felt about Manuel as a whole. He is confusing talking head pundits with actual NFL scouting reports, of which I personally discussed with three scouts (Buffalo, SD, Jax). The consensus at the time was EJ Manuel was rising steadily up the charts from his bowl game, Senior Bowl, combine, and interview process. He was solidly considered a top 25-30 pick by draft time and there were strong indications to suggest the Jets and Philly were going to make moves to get him in that range.

Lots of "experts" took Jerry Jones' assertion that the Cowboys had a 4th round grade on Manuel and ran with it. One of those "experts" was Greg Cosell who also claimed that Ryan Nassib was the best QB in that class. Such is the "consensus" of the experts.

Our resident troll is doing nothing but making yet another keen 20/20 hindsight argument that EJ was a mistake. It's unfortunate that Manuel hasn't shown enough development and nobody feels worse than he and the Bills at this stage, but AT THE TIME, and GIVEN OUR CIRCUMSTANCES, it made perfect sense to acquire him in the manner that we did.

GO BILLS!!!

LMAO

OK, well either way, we see how it worked out.

All the talk on the pick at the time was whether or not we reached, and we did, at least in hindsight. Anyone that did any real homework on Manuel knew he wasn't going to amount to much. I know, I know, no one could have known. That's the difference between me, the "resident troll" and you and your nonsense.

There are indicators, but if you close your eyes to them, well, then they aren't indicators. Fans here and our FO are great eye-closers.

Either way, it was Whaley's pick, which I notice you didn't address, and he failed miserably with it. Or are you now insisting that Manuel is anything but someone with one foot out of this league as a QB?

Please say yes.

I'll join the fun.

Wrong. You could have one with Team options that don't need to be picked up or bought out. Seems as if there is one of these points after year 1. So.... if they have a high pick and TT doesn't perform they could pick without any hindrance from this contract.

Correct. Which would tie TT to this team regardless of whether or not he starts or whatever his circumstances are.

Do you think he signed something like that?

I don't know, perhaps he did, but as I see it, he'd have to be a fool to do that.

So do you, are you insisting, without formal knowledge of the situation, that he did that?

If not, back off.

Agreed! I'm 20 minutes late to the party, and I have to go page by page by page, trying to figure out where today's shenanigans started...

i agree - I don't like huge threads either. Someone edited the title when he signed and, then I cleaned it up. I would have started a new one.

No he didn't. He got money early, will not be franchised and not have injury worries as can happen when you are on last year of contract and under franchise tag. He did not lose; he was not a FA like QB Texans signed who Denver did not think worth using their tag on.

For players who not like this kind of scenario? Talk to your union rep and president.

that wasn't my opinion that he lost - Cian Fahey tweeted that. I don't know enough yet to form that opinion. Edited by YoloinOhio

It's really simple if he doesn't perform the team buys him out, if he's great, the team will tear up the deal and make it better for him! The experts think the team got a great deal and TT lost.

Don't we all wish we could lose so badly!

LMAO

OK, well either way, we see how it worked out.

All the talk on the pick at the time was whether or not we reached, and we did, at least in hindsight. Anyone that did any real homework on Manuel knew he wasn't going to amount to much. I know, I know, no one could have known. That's the difference between me, the "resident troll" and you and your nonsense.

There are indicators, but if you close your eyes to them, well, then they aren't indicators. Fans here and our FO are great eye-closers.

Either way, it was Whaley's pick, which I notice you didn't address, and he failed miserably with it. Or are you now insisting that Manuel is anything but someone with one foot out of this league as a QB?

Please say yes.

Correct. Which would tie TT to this team regardless of whether or not he starts or whatever his circumstances are.

Do you think he signed something like that?

I don't know, perhaps he did, but as I see it, he'd have to be a fool to do that.

So do you, are you insisting, without formal knowledge of the situation, that he did that?

If not, back off.

See the quoted posts with numbers--it's a one-year prove-it deal with a team option afterward

@RossTuckerNFL

Tyrod will make 3X what he was scheduled to make this year (also 3X what he's made entire career) then gets either $27.5M or is FA next year

Edited by thebandit27

Florio takes the angle that it is structured to make a potential regime change more smooth

@profootballtalk

"Buyout options" in Tyrod Taylor's deal underscore the possibility for big changes in Buffalo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/12/buyout-options-in-tyrod-taylor-deal-underscore-possible-changes-in-buffalo/

I bet Rodak is LIVID he didnt think of that.

Don't be retarded.

So what you're saying then is that if Taylor regresses this season, let's say he pulls an RGIII, that this team would draft a QB in next year's draft?

Please say no, that's not what you're saying and prevent yourself from coming across that way.

We'll see, I trust nothing from the rumor mill involving OBD, that crap's been wrong far more than it's ever been right.

Let's see, but for a team low on quality WRs that couldn't afford a decent WR for a million or two tops, to think that they just got Taylor to sign for a significantly low commitment would render Taylor a fool.

Taylor hasn't earned a franchise QB contract, but he's worth more than getting nothing significant guaranteed and a contract in which the team can cut him w/o consequence after this or even next season.

We'll see, but I'll bet your wrong on this as you usually are.

Please do us all a favor and go jump off the falls. Being a Bills fan is tough enough. We don't need miserable "fans" like you pissing in our corn flakes.