Bills D #1 in NFL

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope so. I'm concerned with the d counting on 3 rooks to make a big impact. I can see them having trouble not only adjusting to life in a NFL, but learning this "complicated" defense. I get the feeling teams will be able to run on us even in a pass happy league. I think our offense is going to have to pick it up to help our d out. Stay on the field, crank out rushing 1st downs and keep their offense off the field. That's the only way our d will be better.

2 rooks....

The defense is still probably a year or two away from having the personnel to play Ryan's scheme at its best. They need another OLB desperately. IF Lawson is the guy then I think it will be next season at the earliest before he is really effective due to all the time he will miss and being a rookie and all. They also need another DE, maybe two if Kyle Williams doesn't come back 100% from his injury. Plus Ragland is just a rookie so it's very likely that he will be spotty this season at best.

We dropped into the 20's as far as D right?

Lets say they improved to.....say......tenth overall

We would have made the playoffs with that production last year.......I mean think about it for a minute....went went FOUR and TWO in the AFC East

So the D needs to improve a bunch....

The O needs to be slightly better

Crazy talk from the writer, we have good cornerbacks playing outside of what looks to be a band of misfits, unless Rex morphs into something new this upcoming season. He likes Dlinemen that occupy blockers, we have Dlinemen at their best when penetrating. He has two slow ILB's playing infront of two below average safeties when in coverage. He has one elite pass rusher playing opposite a role player who is now forced into a starting position due to Shaq's injury and absolutely zero depth in the front 7.

Can Kyle Williams and Adolphus Washington keep Ragland and Preston clean? I don't think anyone would feel good about that...is Kyle's health going to let him see the field for 10+ games? Sure hope so. Darby and Gilmore will be able to mask some of the problems but I'd be happy with a top 15 D. The run D will be a problem this year.

I don't see the cast of players that would allow such a major leap forward. This season is in Tyrod's and Roman's hands, the offense could take strides forward.

We dropped into the 20's as far as D right?

Lets say they improved to.....say......tenth overall

We would have made the playoffs with that production last year.......I mean think about it for a minute....went went FOUR and TWO in the AFC East

So the D needs to improve a bunch....

The O needs to be slightly better

If the offense can even be close to what it was last year, and the defense can go from one of the worst in the league to even middle of the road we will be a playoff team

agree.

Crazy talk from the writer, we have good cornerbacks playing outside of what looks to be a band of misfits, unless Rex morphs into something new this upcoming season. He likes Dlinemen that occupy blockers, we have Dlinemen at their best when penetrating. He has two slow ILB's playing infront of two below average safeties when in coverage. He has one elite pass rusher playing opposite a role player who is now forced into a starting position due to Shaq's injury and absolutely zero depth in the front 7.

Can Kyle Williams and Adolphus Washington keep Ragland and Preston clean? I don't think anyone would feel good about that...is Kyle's health going to let him see the field for 10+ games? Sure hope so. Darby and Gilmore will be able to mask some of the problems but I'd be happy with a top 15 D. The run D will be a problem this year.

I don't see the cast of players that would allow such a major leap forward. This season is in Tyrod's and Roman's hands, the offense could take strides forward.

dont you watch movies breh?? the underdawg band of misfits always rally to make the playoffs! its commonsense brahh!!

:thumbsup: Well said and looking at this head coaches history of young QB's I sorta have my doubts that Taylor will be better this season only because I think the team will put more pressure on him to win games.

It's like last year with the defense never happened and all the issues that could easily be correctable were going to be corrected each week and yet, in the end, were never corrected. Most Bills fans seem to think that Ryan will fix everything and field the defense this year he was supposed to field last year.

I don't agree with a single thing in this post.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/17094095/sneaky-strength-every-nfl-defense-cincinnati-bengals-cb-adam-jones-kansas-city-chiefs-safety-eric-berry

Buffalo Bills

Although the Bills' defense struggled overall (24th in DVOA), they improved to sixth in the league in the fourth quarter or overtime. This wasn't just a case of opponents running out the clock in wins: The Bills had a better-than-average defense in the fourth quarter whether they were winning or losing the game.

I'm reasonably optimistic about the Bills D this year. I think to a greater extent than last season, Rex has both the coaches and players he wants. And I think Rex has learned from last season's mistakes and will make productive adjustments. And the chances are we'll be healthier this year than last (cross my fingers!). I'm feeling pretty good about the D. But I won't go as far as NFL.com writer Elliot Harrison...

Buffalo Bills: Rex Ryan's team ends Seattle's run as the NFL's stingiest scoring defense.

The theme of the article is bold predictions for each team. Elliott went big with Buffalo.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000675407/article/nfl-bold-predictions-going-out-on-a-limb-with-each-afc-team

He made prediction about one part of defense being #1 - number of points scored against - and posters have been talking about #1 defense - those are different things. #1 defense factors in a lot of different factors including takeaways, sacks, etc. In fact the offense often has to do as much to do with low score allowing defenses since offenses which take a lot of time off clock reduces chances of high scoring games.

Not sure thats what those guys will be asked to do that much. Maybe Washington a bit more.

Kyle will be what he has always been.And injury prone he is not. Those achilles were an anomaly that are full repaired. and his last was a fluke of playing football.

I think Ragland and the Brown brothers are going to have a riot behind the front 3 or 4. Thinking the rotational guys are when the ILB's will shine.

the ranking i care not about. Winning the battles i do. Finishing a game, i do.

so i agree a middle of the road D might be enough statistically.