Bills D #1 in NFL

Maybe, this is a top 20 defense probably only top 25. Not a lot to get excited about.

• No pass rush, absolutely none
  • #1 pick Lawson does not play in 2016
  • #2 pick Ragland, can't cover out of the backfield
  • #3 pick, Washington, average at best
  • 2nd best lineman, KW, is old and coming back from another foot/ankle injury, he never returns to form and retires.
  • #1 corner won't re-sign, misses camp, and plays it safe to not get hurt, his play is abysmal, probably gets hurt anyway.
  • #2 pick last year regresses this year
  • AW its top safety doesn't make it back from serious neck injury and retires.
  • Corey White, the other safety is too old and slow
  • DB depth is playing elsewhere this year
  • OLBs playing new positions.
  • Preston Brown doesn't assume leadership role in the middle of the D
  • Head coach hires sibling causing confusion and media circus in defense.
  • Top rated DB coach Henderson is booted for an ex player (Reed) that never coached.
  • Rex blames all of the above for his failure and is not fired yet another year of nothing awaits in 2017

It's a bottom 10 D, depending on what way you are looking

I think Corey White is going to have a big year. He just got a new spleen. Edited by chris heff

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty Sure our GM said those 3 would start from day 1. Sounds like they are expected to make a big impact to me, but that's just me. Guess the GM doesn't know what he be talking about.

Did the GM say that before or after Shaq Lawson had surgery?

and come on man....its the GM's job to talk up his draft picks but you can surely read between the lines?

Shaq Lawson will miss time.......therefore the teams game plan will not involve him until he returns later in the season

Ragland will be counted on.....a lot

Washington will be in a rotation and counted on for his pass rush ability which is outstanding.....but he will be in a rotation that already has a lot of veteran players

Now....once we get past those players there are some other players that could actually make contributions depending on how other players play out.

C. Jones - I view this as a complete non factor for next year. A stash pick. Wish we could send him somewhere to gain experience for this next year but you cant do this like the NBA.

Jonathan Williams - My prediction is this guy is going to get playing time this year and very soon will be a counted on player despite his DUI. If Karlos WIlliams does not start taking his career seriously it could end up being as soon as this year, BUT as it stands right now there are 3 RB's in front of him.

Kolbe Listenbee - I think this is gonna depend on what happens with our wanna bee olympian as to whether this guy is our deep threat or a practice squad player for us. I really like this kid though

Seymore - I thought this was a throw away pick or a special teamer until he comes into camp and starts impressing.

Something tells me our scouts did a VERY good job in scouting our later round picks this year. Percentages say that they will not all work out.....but what happens if they DO all end up being contributers?

With an entire off-season of film study, reflection, and listening to advice, I've got to believe - as a fan - that Rex will make fewer and less costly mistakes this year than last.

And then there's this: I think Rex is happier with this year's roster and this year's coaching staff. They're both more suited to Rex's needs and more supportive of his approach.

And, finally, I'm expecting we won't be as hard bitten by the injury bug this year.

So I'm expecting an improvement, if not a dominant D.

I don't think we'll be top 5, but I really can't imagine bottom 10.

He was making those same mistakes in his final years with the Jets, but I hope your thinking is correct.

Maybe, this is a top 20 defense probably only top 25. Not a lot to get excited about.

• No pass rush, absolutely none
  • #1 pick Lawson does not play in 2016
  • #2 pick Ragland, can't cover out of the backfield
  • #3 pick, Washington, average at best
  • 2nd best lineman, KW, is old and coming back from another foot/ankle injury, he never returns to form and retires.
  • #1 corner won't re-sign, misses camp, and plays it safe to not get hurt, his play is abysmal, probably gets hurt anyway.
  • #2 pick last year regresses this year
  • AW its top safety doesn't make it back from serious neck injury and retires.
  • Corey White, the other safety is too old and slow
  • DB depth is playing elsewhere this year
  • OLBs playing new positions.
  • Preston Brown doesn't assume leadership role in the middle of the D
  • Head coach hires sibling causing confusion and media circus in defense.
  • Top rated DB coach Henderson is booted for an ex player (Reed) that never coached.
  • Rex blames all of the above for his failure and is not fired yet another year of nothing awaits in 2017

Now.....the NNN's will definately be proud of this post

Did the GM say that before or after Shaq Lawson had surgery?

and come on man....its the GM's job to talk up his draft picks but you can surely read between the lines?

Shaq Lawson will miss time.......therefore the teams game plan will not involve him until he returns later in the season

Ragland will be counted on.....a lot

Washington will be in a rotation and counted on for his pass rush ability which is outstanding.....but he will be in a rotation that already has a lot of veteran players

Now....once we get past those players there are some other players that could actually make contributions depending on how other players play out.

C. Jones - I view this as a complete non factor for next year. A stash pick. Wish we could send him somewhere to gain experience for this next year but you cant do this like the NBA.

Jonathan Williams - My prediction is this guy is going to get playing time this year and very soon will be a counted on player despite his DUI. If Karlos WIlliams does not start taking his career seriously it could end up being as soon as this year, BUT as it stands right now there are 3 RB's in front of him.

Kolbe Listenbee - I think this is gonna depend on what happens with our wanna bee olympian as to whether this guy is our deep threat or a practice squad player for us. I really like this kid though

Seymore - I thought this was a throw away pick or a special teamer until he comes into camp and starts impressing.

Something tells me our scouts did a VERY good job in scouting our later round picks this year. Percentages say that they will not all work out.....but what happens if they DO all end up being contributers?

If the second half of your post comes to fruition, great. The OP was referring to a # Bills D though, so that is what I am commenting g on. I do think our offense will be a lot better this year. If we make the playoffs, it'll be by riding on the back of the offense and hopefully a better year from the special teams.

• No pass rush, absolutely none missing Mario are we?
  • #1 pick Lawson does not play in 2016 not the prognosis
  • #2 pick Ragland, can't cover out of the backfield untrue and he is brutal against the run. he and P.Brown wil be feared. Z brown can cover
  • #3 pick, Washington, average at best at best? soothsayer are we now?
  • 2nd best lineman, KW, is old and coming back from another foot/ankle injury, he never returns to form and retires. Kyle got rolled up on last year,he will be a rotational player and stay fresh
  • #1 corner won't re-sign, misses camp, and plays it safe to not get hurt, his play is abysmal, probably gets hurt anyway. already said he will be at camp
  • #2 pick last year regresses this year Possible but who expected how he played last year after his poor preseason
  • AW its top safety doesn't make it back from serious neck injury and retires. i can see this. Good thing there are four guys behind him. Blanton White Williams Anderson and even Meeks
  • Corey White, the other safety is too old and slow do you mean the leading tackler against the run Graham
  • DB depth is playing elsewhere this year good thing we drafted See more and half the safeties can play CB. still have Butler dont we ?
  • OLBs playing new positions. ? you mean Hughes?
  • Preston Brown doesn't assume leadership role in the middle of the D already happened, and Ragland is more than capable at barking it out too
  • Head coach hires sibling causing confusion and media circus in defense. Twins think alike if they are wrong they are both wrong. no confusion
  • Top rated DB coach Henderson is booted for an ex player (Reed) that never coached. Reed is probably working on individual players this year
  • Rex blames all of the above for his failure and is not fired yet another year of nothing awaits in 2017 so you think Pegula is an idjit ?

well someone has to do it. I have the day off and it is raining finally.

Now Jumbalaya ( which i love as a creole favorite ) if you were listing all things that could go wrong i would agree. and we would have a laugh.

But your last sentence has you sounding definitive.

it not an anything D

YET !

How about we wait and see?

:beer:

I think Corey White is going to have a big year. He just got a new spleen.

just freeking awesome right there Chris !

I'm reasonably optimistic about the Bills D this year. I think to a greater extent than last season, Rex has both the coaches and players he wants. And I think Rex has learned from last season's mistakes and will make productive adjustments. And the chances are we'll be healthier this year than last (cross my fingers!). I'm feeling pretty good about the D. But I won't go as far as NFL.com writer Elliot Harrison...

Buffalo Bills: Rex Ryan's team ends Seattle's run as the NFL's stingiest scoring defense.

Rex Ryan says the Bills won the offseason. I was under the impression that everyone gets a participation trophy (usually wood with a gold-colored foil plate that says "participant") for the offseason. I am OK with saying Buffalo won the draft, however. The Bills picked up two pass rushers and an inside linebacker in Reggie Ragland who is capable of starting Week 1. Throw in an under-the-radar corner in sixth-round pick Kevon Seymour -- as well as the departure of the disgruntled Mario Williams -- and voila: You have a retooled defense. The Seahawks have led the league in points allowed four consecutive years, a record in the modern era. It has to end some time. That Tom Brady will be suspended for the Week 4 trip to New England certainly helps the cause.

The theme of the article is bold predictions for each team. Elliott went big with Buffalo.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000675407/article/nfl-bold-predictions-going-out-on-a-limb-with-each

That would go a long way to a play-off birth.. I have some confidence in Roman and that offense I think we could win 10+ IF we that D shows some teeth this year