TOD 7/13: Should the pre-season be less than four games?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so. 2 preseason games and 2 more regular season games.

The players want no part of any additional games with the significant punishment that their bodies take over the course of the current 16 game season. I get it from a fan perspective, but an expanded regular season could easily lead to lower caliber football in the latter stages of seasons.

From a fans standpoint it would probably be less especially when you consider the cost of the pre-season games being equal to a regular season.

From a veteran football players perspective or a player most likely to make the team - I'm sure they would want to reduce them as well. Beyond conditioning and the ability to work on a small portion of the system that's all they benefit from it.

From a young football players perspective or a player trying to make the team - I'm sure they would like them kept the same to give them every opportunity to impress.

From a coaches standpoint - I'd imagine they would like to keep it the same because they are able to evaluate talent in these games unlike practice can provide.

The preseason is important for the coaches and players. Certain fans like myself may enjoy watching some of the fringe players fight for a roster spot, but the purpose of the preseason really isn't entertainment. A lot of players share reps the first two weeks, the third week is the dress rehearsal and the fourth is the last stand for fringe players. At minimum I think three games are necessary for teams to really get a feel for their roster and playbook in action, but as it stands the four games don't really bother me. I mean, there are nearly twice the players on the roster those first three weeks. The stars don't put too much wear on their bodies in that time period. As far as this idea being flaoted around that they do preseason in the form of non-padded, non-tackle scrimmages, that's what camp is for. You need the guys in pads simulating a real game.

Here's my proposal that won't happen until the new CBA and would make the players and owners more money.

2 Preseason games

2 Byes

17 Game Season

A 3rd wildcard team giving Ong the best record a bye vs. 2 teams.

Increase the active roster to 53 on game day and a small increase to the roster maintaining the current number of practice squad guys. More players for depth means more rotation for the extra game in the season.

Lastly, increased TV contract with 14 network TV TR night games providing a lot more TV revenue. This will generate a lot of money both the owners and the players would receive so contracts keep going up.

This plus a scrimmage

Four would be fine if they didn't stick it to the season ticket holders by charging so much for the two home preseason games.

It is pretty discouraging to have something you paid 80$ for being sold for 10-15$ the minute after you buy it.

I think two, maybe three games. The problem is the NFL teams will not give up the game day revenue. Any games you take from the pre-season will get lumped into the regular season. I like an extra bye week as someone suggested, but that is a revenue loss for the NFL.

Here's my proposal that won't happen until the new CBA and would make the players and owners more money.

2 Preseason games

2 Byes

17 Game Season

Increase the active roster to 53 on game day and a small increase to the roster maintaining the current number of practice squad guys. More players for depth means more rotation for the extra game in the season.

Lastly, increased TV contract with 14 network TV TR night games providing a lot more TV revenue. This will generate a lot of money both the owners and the players would receive so contracts keep going up.

I've made a similar case for an 18 game season when it was a hot topic a few years ago but can't remember exactly what it was. I'll look through my post history to compare.

EDIT:

I think it was actually related to the change in how many teams get into the playoffs actually.

2 preseason games

1 bye week

8 teams per division make the playoffs

16 game season

no bye week in the playoffs #1 plays #8 seed.

The removal of the two preseason games give them the same about of time for the additional playoff games to happen.

Edited by The Wiz

As for the loss of revenue teams can just lift regular season tix to cover the delta. I would rather pay more for real games vs. glorified scrimmages in the preseason. I do also like the idea of two bye weeks during the season.

In all honesty, I'm a little bit surprised at how many people dislike preseason games, and want fewer of them. Personally, if they televised practices (I wish they would) I would watch them. So why wouldn't I want to watch a preseason game? I will watch all four. Happily.

I remember watching Darby in the preseason last year and wondering if Rex wasn't putting too much faith in him. Corey Graham had just been moved from CB from the previous season in which he was ranked the #1 second CB in the league. I thought at the time that moving him to safety was a mistake. But, Darby got better in each game. That was interesting stuff.

As a fan I would of course enjoy seeing more regular season games. That said I think preseason should be used to judge the quality of recently acquired players, I think all things considered if approached from that perspective 4 preseason games will lead to a better NFL product.

As a fan I would of course enjoy seeing more regular season games. That said I think preseason should be used to judge the quality of recently acquired players, I think all things considered if approached from that perspective 4 preseason games will lead to a better NFL product.

Hard to say with all the offseason activity.

yes 3, 2 just isn't enough to get things running smoothly.

It's a roster evaluation period. 4 is absolutely fine.

Am I the only one that actually enjoys preseason games?

yes, I mean they are ok but it ends up being watching a lot of guys who aren't NFL worthy.

I love watching these guys compete for a job. There's something beautiful about watching someone give everything to achieve their dream.

I'm the kind of nerd that takes notes during preseason games.

You should come to America to be a scout and get paid for what you really love doing.

2 Preseason games
2 Byes
17 Game Season

16 teams in the playoffs; more money more opportunity more excitement at the end of season as more teams have a chance, everyone wins. (and our playoff drought would be shorter)

I wouldn't mind seeing the preseason games played without pads/tackling. I think a lot can still be accomplished, with regard to running plays full speed/evaluating talent, and the risk of injury would decrease significantly. If they could do that, I'd still be cool with four.

If they feel the need to play preseason games as if they actually count, then I would like to see no more than two.

Dude no way, they don't play hard as it is, I wouldn't even watch without pads.