Topic of the day7/12:Stadium naming rights & Bills OP profit

Going back to previous ownership, the Bills have elected not to sell the naming rights to RWS. In doing so, they are leaving what may range from $4MM to $6MM+ per year on the table. One can assume that all of this money would flow to the bottom line as operating profit for the team.

According to Forbes data http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#header:operatingIncome the Bills sit at the bottom of the third quartile in operating profit. Given the NFL ownership is pushing the Bills for additional financial performance as they seek revenues from a new stadium, should the Bills sell the stadium naming rights?

Absolutely, despite WEO's expert pronouncements that $100MM is "a drop in the bucket." Looking at comparables like Jacksonville, the Bills could realistically get a deal for $5MM/20 years. And they could continue to honor the former owner by naming the field. e.g. New Era Field at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Yes.

There are many other ways to honor Mr. Ralph.

But yes. You have 31 business partners who, reasonably, expect you to pull your weight. "We let you keep a team in that tiny market, dont make us regret it. Do the best you can."

Yes.

But yes. You have 31 business partners who, reasonably, expect you to pull your weight. "We let you keep a team in that tiny market, dont make us regret it. Do the best you can."

Just to be clear the other owners probably don't care. The naming rights money wouldn't be shared. It would bump the franchise value some but with the Bills selling for $1.4B they've pulled their weight on dragging up franchise values.

Going back to previous ownership, the Bills have elected not to sell the naming rights to RWS. In doing so, they are leaving what may range from $4MM to $6MM+ per year on the table. One can assume that all of this money would flow to the bottom line as operating profit for the team.

According to Forbes data http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#header:operatingIncome the Bills sit at the bottom of the third quartile in operating profit. Given the NFL ownership is pushing the Bills for additional financial performance as they seek revenues from a new stadium, should the Bills sell the stadium naming rights?

The Bills cleared 45 million on less than 300 million revenue (the vast majority of which the NFL handed to them as shared revenue). That's a pretty sweet return for little work.

As Kirby said, the league gets nothing out of stadium rights--only shared revenue. But they should definitely sell the naming rights. Why not?

Absolutely, despite WEO's expert pronouncements that $100MM is "a drop in the bucket." Looking at comparables like Jacksonville, the Bills could realistically get a deal for $5MM/20 years. And they could continue to honor the former owner by naming the field. e.g. New Era Field at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

5 million dollars a year to service the debt on a new stadium is less than a drop---more like a vapor droplet. A nanodrop?

The Jags stadium deal signed in 2014 is only 43 million over 10 years. They will be lucky if "EverBank Financial Corp" is still around for that period of time.

UFC - Stadium

Yeah but it will come with the new stadium. You'll see it then and not until then. It will probably be $5M+ annually.

Pegula Sports & Entertainment Group Arena

I have no opinion, but then again, I still call it Rich stadium.

Probably always will.

miss calling it that, still say it sometimes.

The Bills cleared 45 million on less than 300 million revenue (the vast majority of which the NFL handed to them as shared revenue). That's a pretty sweet return for little work.

As Kirby said, the league gets nothing out of stadium rights--only shared revenue. But they should definitely sell the naming rights. Why not?

5 million dollars a year to service the debt on a new stadium is less than a drop---more like a vapor droplet. A nanodrop?

The Jags stadium deal signed in 2014 is only 43 million over 10 years. They will be lucky if "EverBank Financial Corp" is still around for that period of time.

An extra $5MM/yr added to $45MM is an 11% increase to the bottom line. You also have a strange take on what is considered nano.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

An extra $5MM/yr added to $45MM is an 11% increase to the bottom line. You also have a strange take on what is considered nano.

That's nice, but the new debt incurred by Petula would be massive. By any definition, it would be a drop in the bucket for debt servicing. I don't know how to explain that in a more simple fashion.

I'm all for naming rights--Ralph's arrogance in this regard was a huge F-U to the other owners who were bringing him huge TV contract money. But you cite a Jags deal that was half of what you propose the Bills could get.

From a business standpoint, it makes no sense to not sell the naming rights. The issue would be probably a lot less than many teams as most games are regionally televised, not nationally, and thus less advertising for these corporations. There's not a large Fortune 500 presence in WNY, so what corporation is it worth to spend $3-4 mil / yr. to use their name?

I would without a doubt though sell the rights for the right price. It only helps the health of the team, and indirectly help spending for the team in larger guaranteed contracts as they have to have so much in reserve.

Yes.

Yes but 31 business partners have not been calling for Bills to rename the stadium "This space for rent".

Certain high profile owners have been pushing it.

Talk to Bills about when they also tell Packers to rename "Lambeau Field".

That's nice, but the new debt incurred by Petula would be massive. By any definition, it would be a drop in the bucket for debt servicing. I don't know how to explain that in a more simple fashion.

I'm all for naming rights--Ralph's arrogance in this regard was a huge F-U to the other owners who were bringing him huge TV contract money. But you cite a Jags deal that was half of what you propose the Bills could get.

Thank goodness for "senile" Ralph who gave the owners a huge F-U and even got a stadium lease signed which limited when Bills could be moved otherwise your favorite owner Kraft would be voting for Bills to move away from Western New York.

Yes but 31 business partners have not been calling for Bills to rename the stadium "This space for rent".

Certain high profile owners have been pushing it.

Talk to Bills about when they also tell Packers to rename "Lambeau Field".

Thank goodness for "senile" Ralph who gave the owners a huge F-U and even got a stadium lease signed which limited when Bills could be moved otherwise your favorite owner Kraft would be voting for Bills to move away from Western New York.

No, that was "cheap" Ralph.

Kraft supports the Bills staying in WNY. You can't make everything up and be taken seriously.

Sucks for Erie County. A 6 year deal will be up when the lease is up. No help towards new stadium.

Free money for Petula.

Yeah, at that rate he may get his $1.4 billion back before the sun burns out. I'm glad to have the Bills staying in WNY and don't mind the owners exercising their rights to generate a bit of income on their investment. I'd bet the owners plan to have a significant investment in the new stadium.

Yeah, at that rate he may get his $1.4 billion back before the sun burns out. I'm glad to have the Bills staying in WNY and don't mind the owners exercising their rights to generate a bit of income on their investment. I'd bet the owners plan to have a significant investment in the new stadium.

This deal is kind of strange. If as stated above--would likely be the shortest term deal in the league.

This deal is kind of strange. If as stated above--would likely be the shortest term deal in the league.

We can wait and see what the deal looks like. I'm not going to doubt the billionaire on this. Maybe he can jack up the rate for a new stadium. It really makes sense to me. Why go longer if you can renegotiate better terms in a few years?

We can wait and see what the deal looks like. I'm not going to doubt the billionaire on this. Maybe he can jack up the rate for a new stadium. It really makes sense to me. Why go longer if you can renegotiate better terms in a few years?

Why would New Era pay more later? Or did you mean some other company when a new stadium gets built?

And it just seems strange that the Bills could sell the naming rights for a facility that they don't own at all. Why wouldn't that be the County's prerogative?

Was D. Smith the Erie County Executive before he went to the NFLPA?

It started as Rich Stadium, so I doubt they lost that right. So why shouldn't they generate some income? As for the term of the agreement, NFL prices seem to just go up. New Era, or anyone else, can decide what they'll pay later. I'd bet it would be more. Would you rather sponsor Kia or Bentley?

It started as Rich Stadium, so I doubt they lost that right. So why shouldn't they generate some income? As for the term of the agreement, NFL prices seem to just go up. New Era, or anyone else, can decide what they'll pay later. I'd bet it would be more. Would you rather sponsor Kia or Bentley?

Let a billionaire make a little more, I always say. But the County gets none of this. Doesn't seem right.

Let a billionaire make a little more, I always say. But the County gets none of this. Doesn't seem right.

Well then, like the CBA, don't negotiate that in. No one cares what any one person thinks is right. The contract is right.

• 3 weeks later...

New Era Field will be announced around the 17th- 18th. 6 year deal. The Pegs will decide in 2018-2019 whether or not they will build a new stadium in downtown. If so, Pegs will pay for it himself. If not, they will renovate our current stadium.

Signs are already going up in the stadium. It will take a at least a year to complete the transition but most of it should be done by opening day.

New Era Field will be announced around the 17th- 18th. 6 year deal. The Pegs will decide in 2018-2019 whether or not they will build a new stadium in downtown. If so, Pegs will pay for it himself. If not, they will renovate our current stadium.

Signs are already going up in the stadium. It will take a at least a year to complete the transition but most of it should be done by opening day.

Interesting. Thanks. Any info on the dollars involved?

The purchase of the team was for $1.4 bil., as people know, but the net net profit after everything is about $45 mil./yr. why shouldn't an owner sell naming rights for another $5 mil./yr. if he paid for the team. The county already makes money on the stadium and gets a piece on concessions.

I don't understand the issue. You should want our owner to make a healthy profit as it is security the team will be here forever. There are always suitors promising a lot more money somewhere else. I don't believe Kim would let this team leave Buffalo, amd if they decide to renovate and get some state funding, the stadium most of us love could get an upgrade in a few years and the tickets don't go up dramatically in 2022.

I don't know why the revenue going to the owner of the team irks you. That has been the arrangement since the stadium was originally built almost half a century ago. Ralph controlled the revenue generated by the stadium (even when renting out the stadium for events). For the past 40 years or more the arrangement has been technically the county owns the stadium but contractually the owner of the team controls the stadium

The bottom line is that the county's bond costs (for the renovation) are covered by generated revenues associated with the football operation. A good chunk money covering the costs of the recent renovations came from the state tax on the players' income. So much of the state's and county's contributions were covered by income generated by events/participants associated by activity from the stadium. You may find that problematic but I don't. It's a reasonable and fair deal that satisfies all the parties involved.

There is a saying that seems fitting: Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good. Or another way of relating it to this topic is that this deal isn't necessarily a perfect deal but it is still a good deal for all the parties involved.